Green (0-5)
Alexander (0-8)
Rdsville Eastern (0-8)
Miller (1-4)
Portsmouth East (2-2)
Ripley (2-7)
Portsmouth Clay (0-5)
West Union (1-9)
Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #4

Post by danicalifornia »

Westfall is 7-2 and Adena is 5-4

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

3 SOC teams in the top 8 - not bad.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:49 pm Westfall is 7-2 and Adena is 5-4
... copied it off my sheet wrong ... edited it should be good now ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Big matchup Tuesday in Bloom Vernon ... South Webster entertaining Vinton County 1/2/24 , Wheelersburg comes calling Friday 1/5 before next Tuesday's matchup with the Falcons at Minford 1/9/24 ... 3 straight games vs Elite 8 teams might be a first in the time I've been doing this to have a team playing a stretch of games like this vs Elite 8 teams while BEING an Elite 8 team themselves ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:33 pm Big matchup Tuesday in Bloom Vernon ... South Webster entertaining Vinton County 1/2/24 , Wheelersburg comes calling Friday 1/5 before next Tuesday's matchup with the Falcons at Minford 1/9/24 ... 3 straight games vs Elite 8 teams might be a first in the time I've been doing this to have a team playing a stretch of games like this vs Elite 8 teams while BEING an Elite 8 team themselves ...
We will have the stream NEXT Tuesday at Minford, but I believe SW has their own streams for their home games.

Will tell us even more about the Jeeps, even though I feel like we have a really good grasp of how special that group is.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

A sleeper game in the SVC on Friday when Zane Trace goes to Southeastern. The Panthers are over .500 at this point in the season for the first time in quite some time, while ZT is very banged up.

The Pioneers need to piece together some wins while they are banged up to still have a chance to win the SVC when they do get healthy in a few weeks.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Peebles is 5-4. Lost. To North Adamsx2, Fairfield at Fairfield and Lynchburg at Lynchburg.
Manchester is pretty good and will be a thought out by Tournament time in D4

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:15 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:33 pm Big matchup Tuesday in Bloom Vernon ... South Webster entertaining Vinton County 1/2/24 , Wheelersburg comes calling Friday 1/5 before next Tuesday's matchup with the Falcons at Minford 1/9/24 ... 3 straight games vs Elite 8 teams might be a first in the time I've been doing this to have a team playing a stretch of games like this vs Elite 8 teams while BEING an Elite 8 team themselves ...
We will have the stream NEXT Tuesday at Minford, but I believe SW has their own streams for their home games.

Will tell us even more about the Jeeps, even though I feel like we have a really good grasp of how special that group is.
https://youtube.com/@BloomVernon?si=Ap-iZ_z2rOue3zN_

Gonna be a tough week.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Sggrad06
Varsity

Post by Sggrad06 »

South Gallia is 5-3

Wins: P. West ; river valley; reedsville eastern; east; st joe
Losses: Lucasville; minford; south webster

River valley is 4-5
Wins: reedsville eastern; nelsonville; oak hill; Alexander
Losses: south Gallia; Symmes valley; point pleasant; vinton county; wellston

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Time may tell, but unless there were special mitigating factors for South Point and Minford to date (injuries, sickness, etc) I’m thinking those are high ratings for both of them. Not questioning Warren yet, unless they lose again.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hookshot wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:14 am Time may tell, but unless there were special mitigating factors for South Point and Minford to date (injuries, sickness, etc) I’m thinking those are high ratings for both of them. Not questioning Warren yet, unless they lose again.
... Warren IS being challenged by South Webster, Marietta ... they need to win vs the Ohio part of their schedule ... I have the advantage of being able to see ALL of the Warren games win or lose ... the 2 losses to the foreign teams from WVA - they led with 2 minutes to go in each ... vs Linsly - Linsly IS just that good, Warren played an outstanding game ... vs outstanding teams you can't have empty possessions - Warren had 3 in the final 2 minutes - Linsly took the lead/Warren had to foul hence the 5 pt loss ... vs Parkersburg ... again empty possessions at the end of the game - shots that shouldn't/didn't need to be taken were - missed ... lost by 2 ... came back to beat a good Bloom Carroll MSL team on Saturday ... South Webster plays a bear of a schedule this week and Tuesday the following week - Vinton County, Wheelersburg, Minford ... they're good enough to win all 3 games ... we'll definitely be watching these via livestream or in-person ... South Point's only competition is within the OVC - @ Fairland this coming Friday 1/5 will be the first of the OVC competitive games ... Minford has to play South Webster twice, has a non-conference game with Portsmouth (OVC) and a really tough game vs Miami Trace , Wheelersburg twice, South Point the last game of the season ... no slouches on their schedule either ... great matches everywhere you look LOL ... pick a game to go see in person , I'm pretty sure you won't go away disappointed ...

Picket Fence
Riding the Bench

Post by Picket Fence »

Pfloyd, I like your top 8….I would personally have Marietta, Warren, South Webster, and Minford in my Top 4 but I understand your reasoning….mainly Warren playing Linsly so close @ Linsly (basically an all star team). I’ve only seen Marietta play Massillon Perry and Warren play in their Clash @ the Coliseum……I’d imagine the two future regular season games will likely determine superiority in Pfloyd’s rankings.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Fact is almost every team will lose a game or two they should have won, and win some they probably should lose. How much to factor in those games is the question. If this were a typical AP poll, for example, Marietta would be No. 1 this week. But that doesn't mean Pfloyd's rationale is flawed. Marietta could lose one of its next three games (Fort Frye, John Glenn, Belpre) but that wouldn't impact its top 4 ranking in my judgement. It will be another 2 or 3 weeks before fans should have enough information for the rankings to be more reliable.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Hookshot wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:14 am Time may tell, but unless there were special mitigating factors for South Point and Minford to date (injuries, sickness, etc) I’m thinking those are high ratings for both of them. Not questioning Warren yet, unless they lose again.
South Point did just beat a Huntington team that beat PHS by 13. PHS beat Warren, so from that result alone I'd say South Point definitely belongs. Maybe they should be ranked ahead of Warren?

It's hard to compare teams from opposite ends of the district, especially early in the season. I know Pfloyd has seen a lot of these teams already and the truth is the difference between these teams at the top is probably razor thin.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

pioneer19 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:44 am
South Point did just beat a Huntington team that beat PHS by 13. PHS beat Warren, so from that result alone I'd say South Point definitely belongs. Maybe they should be ranked ahead of Warren?

It's hard to compare teams from opposite ends of the district, especially early in the season. I know Pfloyd has seen a lot of these teams already and the truth is the difference between these teams at the top is probably razor thin.
When a team works their way into the top 15 and higher - the movement upward gets difficult ... as you are USUALLY looking at movement between teams in different leagues, teams who do NOT play each other - no head to heads to make life easier ... this year will be very volatile as we have Minford/South Webster/Wheelersburg all playing each other twice, all 3 in the Elite 8 currently... I applaud these school for "playing outside the box" this season in their non-conference games ie South Webster playing VC /Raceland/Federal Hocking/Fairland/North Adams ... Minford taking on South Point/Circleville/Miami Trace/North Adams ... the quality teams taking on equally quality teams in the "in-season classics" ... teams that take on "foreign" teams - you make it "dang" hard! LOL there are traditionally "good" foreign teams - ie. Huntington High , Parkersburg Big Red , Parkersburg South, Ashland Blazer , KY ... throw in the "prep"/ put together All Star teams - Linsly's, Huntington Prep's of the world ... difficult ranking when teams play outside "MY" knowledge base - used to have teams travel to Daytona, Disney World, Myrtle Beach, etc. to play teams from ALL over the US during the holiday break - wins were looked at as a weighted W while a loss - meant/means very little in my ranking the team ... the only thing I KNOW for sure in ranking the teams are that "eyes on" can not be replaced - even livestream doesn't give you the information that having "eyes on" does ... records, wins/losses ARE important obviously BUT there are teams out there that are ranked in the 30 and higher that I would NOT want to play if I were a top 20 team come the post season ie. Western Pike (3-6) in D4, Zane Trace in D3 - who's record will take a hit for a few weeks as their #1 player PG Landen Jarrell is out with an injury , Gallia Academy in D2 - Coach Harrison & Co. are figuring it out! I'm looking for GAHS to get the combination of 6-7 Cade Mock & 6-5 Gabe Hammond working together in the paint with Franklin/Blair and Saunders ... their problem is their on the job training is taking place in the OVC where there are NO games/teams that allow you to have "growing pains" & get W's - they're taking their lumps now ... by the end of the season/in the post season when they play a more compatible team "style of play wise" - they can knock a higher seeded team off imo ...

... in the end it all plays out on the court ... I'm glad to see some "new" posters giving opinions whether they agree or disagree with my rankings - it's all good ... all information is appreciated about teams - it benefits all of us ...

ZTPMM88
Riding the Bench

Post by ZTPMM88 »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:18 pm A sleeper game in the SVC on Friday when Zane Trace goes to Southeastern. The Panthers are over .500 at this point in the season for the first time in quite some time, while ZT is very banged up.

The Pioneers need to piece together some wins while they are banged up to still have a chance to win the SVC when they do get healthy in a few weeks.
Heard its best player is out for the year no?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

ZTPMM88 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:37 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:18 pm A sleeper game in the SVC on Friday when Zane Trace goes to Southeastern. The Panthers are over .500 at this point in the season for the first time in quite some time, while ZT is very banged up.

Heard its best player is out for the year no?
It’s likely, but he goes back to the doctor soon, so more will be known then.

ZTPMM88
Riding the Bench

Post by ZTPMM88 »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:12 pm Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #4

1. Warren (7-2)
2. Minford (7-1)
3. South Point (5-2)
4. Marietta (8-0)
5. South Webster (8-0)
6. Washington CH (8-1)
7. Wheelersburg (6-1)
8. Vinton County (7-1)

... TreeHugger Wannabees ...

Miami Trace (8-2)
Ironton (6-1)
Fairland (5-3)
Jackson (7-4)
Fairfield Leesburg (9-0)
Fairfield Union (6-3)
Circleville (5-3)
North Adams (5-3)
Portsmouth (6-1)
Hillsboro (6-1)
New Lexington (8-1)
Westfall (7-2)
Unioto (4-5)
Chesapeake (5-3)
Federal Hocking (5-4)
Sheridan (5-2)
Northwest (6-2)
Eastern Brown (6-3)
Portsmouth Notre Dame (3-1)
Zane Trace (3-3)
Meigs (7-2)
Belpre (5-3)
Logan Elm (3-4)
Adena (5-4)
Piketon (3-4)
Waverly (6-3)
Lucasville Valley (3-6)
Gallia Academy (2-6)
Chillicothe (4-5)
Peebles (5-4)
Western Pike (3-6)
Eastern Pike (4-5)
South Gallia (5-3)
Nelsonville York (6-4)
Portsmouth West (3-4)
Trimble (5-2)
Whiteoak (3-2)
Manchester (7-4)
Lynchburg Clay (4-5)
Symmes Valley (2-4)
Southeastern (5-4)
McClain (1-7)
Paint Valley (1-5)
Rock Hill (3-5)
Waterford (2-6)
Coal Grove (0-7)
Oak Hill (3-6)
Logan (1-9)
Southern (3-5)
River Valley (4-5)
Athens (2-6)
Wellston (2-6)
Huntington (2-6)
New Boston (2-4)
Crooksville (3-4)

... Teams on the End Table ...

Ironton St Joseph (1-5)
Green (0-5)
Alexander (0-8)
Rdsville Eastern (0-8)
Miller (1-4)
Portsmouth East (2-2)
Ripley (2-7)
Portsmouth Clay (0-5)
West Union (1-9)
Think Meigs should be far below Chesapeake even though it went into Chesapeake and knocked them off?

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

It blows my mind that you have Marietta 3 spots below Warren. I know this is just a personal ranking and there's no real skin in this (thank god), but Marietta's win vs. Massillon Perry is better than any win Warren has, they have not lost any games, and they have both pretty equally dominated the common opponents. There is no data point that constitutes Warren being ranked above Marietta, much less multiple spots.

Return to “Boys Basketball”