November 10, 2023 Ironton 14 - 20 Harvest Prep

REDMEN95
JV Team

Re: Ironton v Harvest Prep

Post by REDMEN95 »

MarauderMadness wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:41 am
Deuce23 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:30 am Pendleton is a great motivator and gets the kids in front of college coaches but he is the worst play caller I think that i have ever seen . HP loading the box all night and we continue to try and run up the middle and QB sneaks over and over . I hate it for the kids because they work so hard and the defense played lights out the second half. Again we continued to reun QB sneaks and up the middle . Terry is one of the best players in the state and the two times tou run him in the first half its to the short side of the field and he does not touch the ball in the 2nd half. The coaching staff likes playing against 12 defenders and it has been like this all year. The coaching staff ( whoever is calling the offensive plays ) lost this game for them . Worst i think i have ever seen . Great job kids you had a great season and work hard and get ready for next year. Should be special if he geta an offensive coordinator. Good luck to all the teams still alive.
Best wishes in basketball lol
Why is it after that one loss on the season everyone goes to social media and criticizes the coaching? It wasn’t that too long ago even Wheelersburg was on here criticizing their coach after a rocky start to the season. Here you have the two most successful teams in southern Ohio and should be proud that you have great programs and good coaches! Maybe we don’t always agree with the play calling or the way things are done. But have some class and support your programs during the wins and losses! Great Year Tigers!!
Last edited by REDMEN95 on Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

REDMEN95
JV Team

Post by REDMEN95 »

TigerBob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:45 pm Awesome site we have here attacking 17 and 18 year old kids.

Prep has too many athletes for Ironton. Power run game sounds awesome if it will work. It didn’t. Ironton lined up a ton under center and ran it right at Prep. It wasn’t working. The passing game wasn’t much better given Schreck was running for his life and nobody was open. The one offensive TD was a scramble drill, not a designed play.

Sometimes the better team makes a few more plays and wins. It doesn’t have to be the coach sucks, or this kid sucks, or anything like that. It’s just one team is better than the other.

I will say Wheelersburg seems like a bad matchup for what Prep wants to do. Feels like if Wheelersburg can get Prep to make one extra mistake they’ll take it.
Well said!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ironton simply got beat plain and simple great field position soo many times and couldn’t do anything with it, HP defense is really good and was simply on another level. Plus side Ironton won week 1 so they can always hang their hats on that, seemed to all season. The reality is is this Ironton team was no where near the last 2-3 years of teams and I think some simply got caught up in that. When I seen them earlier in the year this is where I seen their exit being without the right draw. Solid season though

Girevik
Waterboy

Post by Girevik »

greygoose wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:15 am Ironton simply got beat plain and simple great field position soo many times and couldn’t do anything with it, HP defense is really good and was simply on another level. Plus side Ironton won week 1 so they can always hang their hats on that, seemed to all season. The reality is is this Ironton team was no where near the last 2-3 years of teams and I think some simply got caught up in that. When I seen them earlier in the year this is where I seen their exit being without the right draw. Solid season though
Yeah, and like that one guy said something like Burg ain’t won more than a couple regionals in almost two decades so Ironton can hang they hat on that too.

Come to Ukraine! We Train!
Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

REDMEN95 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:58 am
SWHITE2002 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:29 am Friend of mine said that it got pretty sporty on the sideline after the game between Pendleton and some fans/parents. Said someone from Athens had to get between them and make the fans leave. What was that all about?
If true… it would be very sad and an embarrassment to Ironton and the community! Sometimes you don’t always come out on top. But go out with class! Ironton had an amazing year and should be proud!
Any more info on this or is it another small town I heard where nobody actually stipulates anything?

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

REDMEN95 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:09 am
Deuce23 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:30 am Pendleton is a great motivator and gets the kids in front of college coaches but he is the worst play caller I think that i have ever seen . HP loading the box all night and we continue to try and run up the middle and QB sneaks over and over . I hate it for the kids because they work so hard and the defense played lights out the second half. Again we continued to reun QB sneaks and up the middle . Terry is one of the best players in the state and the two times tou run him in the first half its to the short side of the field and he does not touch the ball in the 2nd half. The coaching staff likes playing against 12 defenders and it has been like this all year. The coaching staff ( whoever is calling the offensive plays ) lost this game for them . Worst i think i have ever seen . Great job kids you had a great season and work hard and get ready for next year. Should be special if he geta an offensive coordinator. Good luck to all the teams still alive.
Why is it after that one loss on the season everyone goes to social media and criticizes the coaching? It wasn’t that too long ago even Wheelersburg was on here criticizing their coach after a rocky start to the season. Here you have the two most successful teams in southern Ohio and should be proud that you have great programs and good coaches! Maybe we don’t always agree with the play calling or the way things are done. But have some class and support your programs during the wins and losses! Great Year Tigers!!
Critique is a part of life.

If you folks in southeast Ohio were better at accepting critique and using it positively southeastern ohios population and economy probably wouldn't be flat or dying and ya probably would have less meth and opiate addicts. So braggadocious when things are going good. So sensitive when things don't go your way.

Those nasally twangs are annoying enough without being Karen's but yet here we are again. Smh.

mustard
Varsity

Post by mustard »

😂 … prep recruits > Ironton recruits

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:43 am
Tri_State790 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:58 pm
ohbuckeye2 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:45 pm We’ll be just fine next year, on to a great Basketball season. Good luck to the Pirates of Wheelersburg next week.
I wish Irontons social media team promoted basketball as passionately. Why don't they?
Jerrod does the football promoting / hype train. So that’s probably why.
That's really a disservice to student athletes of other sports. I wished they promoted all the student athletes with similar passion to how they promote football. All the student athletes at all the schools are amazing kids that deserve that. It's a huge commitment. They deserve some promo also.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Jonjon wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:09 am Why doesn’t ironton find A LOT more ways to get Terry the ball. Not an Ironton fan at all til they get to the playoffs. I just don’t understand why you leave a top player in the state outside all day when you can’t get him the ball. Ok, put him in the backfield a few plays. Run a wildcat a couple series. Do something to let him touch the ball since you can’t pass it to him... just my opinion from an Ironton hater til they get to the playoffs.
Ironton didn't have the right ball distributor at QB.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:29 am Friend of mine said that it got pretty sporty on the sideline after the game between Pendleton and some fans/parents. Said someone from Athens had to get between them and make the fans leave. What was that all about?
I wouldn't doubt this however I'll say that. Southeastohioians talk all this junk about their quaint tight knit communities and yet they are always the very first to talk down on their neighbor. So par for the course if true.

IF. Cause southernohio innuendo is about as dependable as a Jerrod Pendleton playbook.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

HP could have had all 11 in the box last night because 12 ain't no quarterback. He got torched by two quarterbacks in one game. Smh

And Pendleton calls plays like a 12 yr old playing madden. Smh
Last edited by Tri_State790 on Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

TigerBob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:45 pm Awesome site we have here attacking 17 and 18 year old kids.

Prep has too many athletes for Ironton. Power run game sounds awesome if it will work. It didn’t. Ironton lined up a ton under center and ran it right at Prep. It wasn’t working. The passing game wasn’t much better given Schreck was running for his life and nobody was open. The one offensive TD was a scramble drill, not a designed play.

Sometimes the better team makes a few more plays and wins. It doesn’t have to be the coach sucks, or this kid sucks, or anything like that. It’s just one team is better than the other.

I will say Wheelersburg seems like a bad matchup for what Prep wants to do. Feels like if Wheelersburg can get Prep to make one extra mistake they’ll take it.
I was not attacking #12, think he’s a great athlete. I just thought #11 made more sense as QB.

As for IHS being a power run team, after watching the Burg-IHS game, I thought this is where they would go with their O. IHS’s best drive in that game came early in the 3rd quarter when IHS just ran it down Burg’s throat. Drive only ended in 3pts but was the best drive the entire game.

What I’ve seen from Ironton since is an O that doesn’t have any identity. The play calling appears fragmented with little rhyme or reason (same problem Burg had earlier in the season); seemed like the OC was counting on big plays from Terry to score. I think IHS would have been better offensively if they focused on power run from the beginning of the season. Basically too late to change come playoff time.

As for the coaches, they obviously don’t suck. That’s an overstatement. But they have not addressed the problems that have haunted IHS for the past 4+ years. Too much dependence on talent making big plays, and not enough focus on improving the basics (turnovers, penalties, OL play, etc).

IHS has talent. When they line up on the field against other D5 schools, IHS always has more talent than the team on the other side. Coaching, especially on the O side, is holding the team back and needs to improve. Hence why many on here are frustrated.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:31 am

I was not attacking #12, think he’s a great athlete. I just thought #11 made more sense as QB.

As for IHS being a power run team, after watching the Burg-IHS game, I thought this is where they would go with their O. IHS’s best drive in that game came early in the 3rd quarter when IHS just ran it down Burg’s throat. Drive only ended in 3pts but was the best drive the entire game.

What I’ve seen from Ironton since is an O that doesn’t have any identity. The play calling appears fragmented with little rhyme or reason (same problem Burg had earlier in the season); seemed like the OC was counting on big plays from Terry to score. I think IHS would have been better offensively if they focused on power run from the beginning of the season. Basically too late to change come playoff time.

As for the coaches, they obviously don’t suck. That’s an overstatement. But they have not addressed the problems that have haunted IHS for the past 4+ years. Too much dependence on talent making big plays, and not enough focus on improving the basics (turnovers, penalties, OL play, etc).

IHS has talent. When they line up on the field against other D5 schools, IHS always has more talent than the team on the other side. Coaching, especially on the O side, is holding the team back and needs to improve. Hence why many on here are frustrated.
Very well said. I agree

SEO95
Riding the Bench

Post by SEO95 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:00 pm
RBH23 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:34 pm
Tri_State790 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:21 pm Start getting Edward's ready to be Qb1 next season.

#12 isn't a qb.
Why did the coaches change to #12? Having #11 at QB tonight could have been a problem for HP.
Real good question. I didn't hear any injury cited as the reason for the change so to me it seems coach made it as a reactionary move to I guess try to improve the offense instead of fixing the reasons the offense struggles to begin with. Offense with 12 at qb was less efficient than the offense with 11 at qb and as far as the timing and making that change in week 11 when the offense already lacked continuity or rhythm just boggles my mind.

#12 is a really good athlete.
He is NOT a quarterback.
Well said. Stunned by the change at QB.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

SEO95 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:46 am
Tri_State790 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:00 pm
RBH23 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:34 pm

Why did the coaches change to #12? Having #11 at QB tonight could have been a problem for HP.
Real good question. I didn't hear any injury cited as the reason for the change so to me it seems coach made it as a reactionary move to I guess try to improve the offense instead of fixing the reasons the offense struggles to begin with. Offense with 12 at qb was less efficient than the offense with 11 at qb and as far as the timing and making that change in week 11 when the offense already lacked continuity or rhythm just boggles my mind.

#12 is a really good athlete.
He is NOT a quarterback.
Well said. Stunned by the change at QB.
I even said 12 is a great athlete and these old head sour puss fans are STILL clutching their pearls and saying "kids are being attacked"

Seo = softest demographic in the entire Midwest.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:11 am

If you folks in southeast Ohio were better at accepting critique and using it positively southeastern ohios population and economy probably wouldn't be flat or dying and ya probably would have less meth and opiate addicts. So braggadocious when things are going good. So sensitive when things don't go your way.

Those nasally twangs are annoying enough without being Karen's but yet here we are again. Smh.
And while I'm at it - the left lane is for passing not cruising and nobody else drives 55 on a highway... only you clowns. This isn't a parade and roundabouts are normal not complicated.

Get a new offensive coordinator
And #12 ain't no quarterback.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:59 am
Tri_State790 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:11 am

And while I'm at it - the left lane is for passing not cruising and nobody else drives 55 on a highway... only you clowns. This isn't a parade and roundabouts are normal not complicated.

Get a new offensive coordinator
And #12 ain't no quarterback.
And your hotdogs get CHILLI on them not sauce and you wash it down with a soda. A pop is a sound a balloon makes when you stick it with one of ya heroin needles lol.

And are you talking to me or serenading me? Why do you sound like you are singing the end of every sentence? Lmao

Get a new o coordinator and #12 ain't no quarterback.

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

mattash wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:26 pm Great Season

Next year skill positions will be absolutely loaded
Very good season that was fun to follow.

As a-fan for many decades, i could feel the struggle of putting all the puzzle pieces together, but it was not due to a lack of effort FROM ALL INVOLVED!!!

I think The coaching Staff did a great job trying to help the kids develop & it fell short. It’s a great sport, great team, great community, that has nowhere to go but up.
Keep supporting this miraculous turn around in such a short amount of time. They deserve & need our support.

I applaud the switch of Shreck to QB1, & that took guts as a coach & a player. It surprised many, but not me!!!

These boys worked very hard all year, as did the coaches, & for that I am grateful!

Thank You!!!

#GoTgo

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:31 am

You weren't the worst offender, but I think any adult anonymously saying things about a kid online is a bad look. If I'm a kid, and my team lost, and I felt like I played bad, I certainly wouldn't want to see someone online criticizing me. Do I think the kids are reading this stuff? I hope not, but it's out there for them. I just don't think it's helpful.

As far as Ironton's offensive identity, the criticisms are fair. A lot of people on this site, you included, oversimplify things a ton. Ironton and Wheelersburg should just do what Kirtland and Marion Local do is a common refrain. There are more than 700 schools who play football in Ohio. Somewhere around 2 do what Kirtland and Marion Local do.

Ironton's line all year just didn't perform against quality competition. The idea that Ironton could have or should have been a power run team is a bit far fetched. They didn't show that ability on a week to week, drive to drive basis all year. If they had gone power run, it's that much tougher to get Terry the number of touches that everyone feels he should get. Then people would complain about that.

With the QB switch, I'll say the coaches are competitive people who want to win and see these kids every day. I don't know what went into the decision, but I bet it wasn't made lightly and it was the choice that gave the team the best chance to win in the eyes of the coaches. Not like Ironton was rolling offensively headed into Week 11, which wasn't on the QB, but certainly gives you some breathing room to make the change.

Ironton is certainly talented, but they didn't have a ton of seniors getting meaningful snaps. That's a big deal in high school football. Just the strength and physical development boys go through over the last few years meant that this team was always going to struggle to be as good as the last few years or the next few years.

All of this criticism and negativity amidst a season where Ironton goes 9-1, wins their league, and wins two playoff games. The type of season that would be the best in a generation at many schools is looked at as a major disappointment. And that's fair, given Ironton's stated goals and the mouth running of the vocal morons in the fan base.

Nurse45680
Waterboy

Post by Nurse45680 »

I think your friend got it wrong

Return to “Football”