yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Ohio bans Saturday playoff games

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

TigerBob
All Conference

Re: Ohio bans Saturday playoff games

Post by TigerBob »

Much prefer playoff games on Friday. Will lead to worse officials and sites, but I don’t care.

Donnie Hagglethorpe
Freshman Team

Post by Donnie Hagglethorpe »

TigerBob wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:44 pm Much prefer playoff games on Friday. Will lead to worse officials and sites, but I don’t care.
You mean the officials could actually get worse? :mrgreen:

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Wonder how much it will cut into attendance with people that work on Friday's!! With the distance between some of these first and second round games, going to make it hard for some people to attend.

GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

I know this is usually what's preferred by teams. Coaches and players don't usually enjoy playing on Saturdays. I don't blame them. It throws off the routine when you're used to playing on Friday nights.

But, for fans who like to take in two games per weekend, it kinda stinks. It means missed work hours in order to travel. It means leaving school super early to get to a site 3 hours away. It means lost gate and concessions money, though we don't really care about the former since that goes to OHSAA anyway.

Does this mean State semis and finals will also be only played on Friday? if so, does that mean using multiple sites for those games?

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

I think it’s a bad idea. As what has already been stated above, how many parents, students, etc are going to miss seeing their child or classmates participate? Especially when some of the teams are 2 plus hours apart driving distance( don’t get me started on teams north of Columbus in the SE regions).

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

All because Ohio State plays on Saturday.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

That's crazy 👎

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

GoIrish wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:56 pm I know this is usually what's preferred by teams. Coaches and players don't usually enjoy playing on Saturdays. I don't blame them. It throws off the routine when you're used to playing on Friday nights.

But, for fans who like to take in two games per weekend, it kinda stinks. It means missed work hours in order to travel. It means leaving school super early to get to a site 3 hours away. It means lost gate and concessions money, though we don't really care about the former since that goes to OHSAA anyway.

Does this mean State semis and finals will also be only played on Friday? if so, does that mean using multiple sites for those games?

The article said this was only through the state semifinals.

Donnie Hagglethorpe
Freshman Team

Post by Donnie Hagglethorpe »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:02 pm
GoIrish wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:56 pm I know this is usually what's preferred by teams. Coaches and players don't usually enjoy playing on Saturdays. I don't blame them. It throws off the routine when you're used to playing on Friday nights.

The article said this was only through the state semifinals.
Yeah OHSAA might be smug and selfish but they’re not suicidal. The football championship week has to be a huge revenue source for them. Plus they get to let us common folk see how important they are with their luxury suites and hospitality rooms. No way they will asss with all that. :mrgreen:

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:35 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... e04&ei=108

Thoughts on this
Does this go into effect this season? Honestly as a fan I hate it because I try and get out to games on both nights. I'm really not for sure the reasoning behind this though, article doesn't seem to talk about it.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

greygoose wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:07 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:35 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... e04&ei=108

Thoughts on this
Does this go into effect this season? Honestly as a fan I hate it because I try and get out to games on both nights. I'm really not for sure the reasoning behind this though, article doesn't seem to talk about it.

I'm guessing this year but I'm like you, Nowhere does it say why!!

Bigreds pride
Freshman Team

Post by Bigreds pride »

How would Bellaire play a home game

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Bigreds pride wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:32 pm How would Bellaire play a home game
That is a good point but they can catch up with the times and put lights in. There’s schools in inner cities that share fields, should they both get a home game then what? Doubting they’re concerned with the 5% of the schools this could effect. Love to see them look into adjusting the regions honestly, there’s no reason for a team to travel 3 hrs for an opening round playoff game. Also doesn’t really look like it’s an OHSAA call though, they’re about that money I don’t think they’re in favor of this. Sounds like the coaches were the ones that forced the issue.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Since they’re doing this, I think they should get back to 8 teams per region making the playoffs.

RoadMan
Riding the Bench

Post by RoadMan »

OHSAA indicated that schools who are eligible for a home game who do not have lights will play @ 1:00 pm Saturday I believe.

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

TigerBob wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:44 pm Much prefer playoff games on Friday. Will lead to worse officials and sites, but I don’t care.

Hoping that ya mean this ta be funny... cuz it's the dumbest thing I've ever read if not...lol. it is though, 100% accutate on the sites and officials..

Return to “Football”