D4 Tournament Thread

Homie Chadwell
Riding the Bench

Re: D4 Tournament Thread

Post by Homie Chadwell »

trampoline wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:17 am
bobcats94 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:48 pm Last year I said Western would beat Trimble and it wasn’t even a close game. Despite all you Howie worshipers I’m not impressed, Doug Williams out coached him last year and Western ran them off the floor. I don’t see it being any different this year with Eastern as they have shown what they are capable of beating some good teams in the SOC II. All the Trimble fans will make that long drive over to Beaver just to be disappointed. I’ll also go ahead and say it won’t be any better for Waterford going out to Latham. Eagles and Indians by 10+.
to be honest bobcats, the only reason Trimble beat Notre dame the game before the western game was because of horrific officiating that gave portsmouth no chance to win.
It was less about good officials and more about the fact that the stomp and stare were in full force that night. The refs couldnt focus and the other team was so intimidated they could barely get off a good shot. The stare scared NDs coach so bad he went over and sat down and didnt even coach anymore and ND fans really just quit cheering. It was a surreal tourney environment and a testament to the power of the stomp and stare.

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

bobcats94 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:48 pm Last year I said Western would beat Trimble and it wasn’t even a close game. Despite all you Howie worshipers I’m not impressed, Doug Williams out coached him last year and Western ran them off the floor. I don’t see it being any different this year with Eastern as they have shown what they are capable of beating some good teams in the SOC II. All the Trimble fans will make that long drive over to Beaver just to be disappointed. I’ll also go ahead and say it won’t be any better for Waterford going out to Latham. Eagles and Indians by 10+.
to be honest bobcats, the only reason Trimble beat Notre dame the game before the western game was because of horrific officiating that gave portsmouth no chance to win.
Wrong again dummy. It was the other way around. In the ND game the refs knew Howie and respect him. They know how he coaches and call the game accordingly. Especially with charges. When their boys tried to guard our big boys and we lowered our shoulders to get them off of us the refs correctly called a block on the ND players. At the other end they correctly called charges against ND just like it was called in the regular season every game by refs who know how great Howie coaches. But against Western Brown the refs refused to call it that way and basically made horrible calls. Pretty sure they didn’t like Howie or they didn’t know how great he coaches. Either way it was good reffing against ND and horrible against WB.

Don’t hate us just because you ain’t us.
trampoline
Riding the Bench

Post by trampoline »

Tomcat Queen wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:45 am
Wrong again dummy. It was the other way around. In the ND game the refs knew Howie and respect him. They know how he coaches and call the game accordingly. Especially with charges. When their boys tried to guard our big boys and we lowered our shoulders to get them off of us the refs correctly called a block on the ND players. At the other end they correctly called charges against ND just like it was called in the regular season every game by refs who know how great Howie coaches. But against Western Brown the refs refused to call it that way and basically made horrible calls. Pretty sure they didn’t like Howie or they didn’t know how great he coaches. Either way it was good reffing against ND and horrible against WB.
luckily you guys are 10 deep this year so foul trouble wont be a factor anymore :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

trampoline wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:32 pm

luckily you guys are 10 deep this year so foul trouble wont be a factor anymore :lol: :lol: :lol:
Exactly.

Don’t hate us just because you ain’t us.
meatspanker

Post by meatspanker »

trampoline wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:32 pm

Howie will prpbably start his backups and have them foulout to beat down the opponent

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

D4 Sectional Finals thoughts and predictions

Western vs Waterford…..long trip, maybe too long. Waterford is dangerous and can win but Coach Williams and kids had the great run last year and were well prepared every game…I’ll be surprised if Western doesn’t win by 10 or so. I believe they have the path they want.

Paint Valley vs New Boston….I think Paint Valley has what it takes and all the parts to make a deep tourney run, NB not stopping them PV by 13

Whiteoak vs Notre Dame…..Notre Dame has been very solid and having a big big in the middle could be tough for Whiteoak. If ND is solid on defense (and they have been)….they should win, but Whiteoak kids will come ready from the tip

Eastern Pike vs Trimble….I think Eastern wins big with hot shooting or loses a heartbreaker with a poor 3 point shooting night….I’ll go EB by 16

Fed Hock vs Manchester….far trip again lol. Manchester improving nicely and should be tough next year, they likely don’t have the horses for this one. FH by 15

South Webster vs South Gallia …it’s interesting with South Webster…they gonna flip the light switch and push for the regionals or are they going to sputter and allow anyone to compete? Jeeps by 18 is your answer

Fairfield vs Symmes Valley….another great trip. Fairfield keep it going. FF too much noise? FF stay hot? Fairfield by 18

Green vs ISJ….hey, a close trip! Green by 14

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Nice picks Ironman92, I'll join..

I think Western, too.. Probably by 10 or more before it's all said and done. Waterford will struggle with Western being disciplined.

Paint Valley big... 20+

Whiteoak vs Notre Dame intrigues me.. I could see Whiteoak by 2-4, or Notre Dame by 10+. I think Notre Dame wins but I wouldn't be surprised if Whiteoak pulls off the upset.

Eastern Pike by 8. Close game throughout. Trimble plays hard enough to make it close.

Fed Hock by 18, anxious to see if Manchester's youth can compete for a little while though.

South Webster by 12

Fairfield big over Symmes.. 30+

Green by 24 over ISJ.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Eagle Pappaw wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:55 am
mustang64 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:18 pm Manchester-56
Southern- 37
Heard Manchester used some stall tactics to set the pace early and then ran away from southern late
Looks like much more than that, when you have a 19 point win.

mustang64
Waterboy

Post by mustang64 »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:49 am
Eagle Pappaw wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:55 am
mustang64 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:18 pm Manchester-56
Southern- 37
Heard Manchester used some stall tactics to set the pace early and then ran away from southern late
Looks like much more than that, when you have a 19 point win.
Manchester had a 17 point lead at the half. Southern was hot with the 3's in the 3rd quarter and made it a 10 point game if i remember correctly. Manchester pulled away after that.

bone1978
Waterboy

Post by bone1978 »

Southern was down 8 with 4 minutes left before Manchester pulled away late.

BasketballFan22
Riding the Bench

Post by BasketballFan22 »

Tomcat Queen wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:02 am
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:39 pm Don’t be surprised if Beaver hits 15 threes on Trimble.
I hope they try to beat us by shooting 3’s. That plays to our strengths. If they try that it’s off to play Fed Hocker for the Cats.

Where’s the one that said Trimble would run Eastern out of the gym? 🤔. 63-37 Eastern Final.

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

Fed Hock 65 Manchester 44 Final

Dlightle72
Waterboy

Post by Dlightle72 »

Western Pike 66- Waterford 46

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Heard the nets were smoking from Eastern PIKE threes

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
joeboggs1
JV Team

Post by joeboggs1 »

Pv won.

I think the final was 85-50

BasketballFan22
Riding the Bench

Post by BasketballFan22 »

Would like to say. Trimble is by far the most disciplined team I have watched all season. I didn’t see them fuss with the ref, coach or other team. Much respect. Way to play hard Tomcats!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

BasketballFan22 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:59 pm Would like to say. Trimble is by far the most disciplined team I have watched all season. I didn’t see them fuss with the ref, coach or other team. Much respect. Way to play hard Tomcats!
I’ve only seen 2 teams all season fuss with the refs, Coach or other team.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Dlightle72 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:22 pm Western Pike 66- Waterford 46
WP really turned it on after halftime, wow.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:06 am
... great halftime adjustments by the Western coaching staff ... the first 2 quarters the Indians weren't hitting shots from the perimeter, Chase Carter 14 points in the half/ while Waterford's Armstrong had 17 including 3 triples ... Waterford controlled the tempo ... the 2nd half adjustments by Coach Williams & staff - get to the rim ... 36 points in the paint in the 2nd half - Kam Janes/Drew Haggy had 14/15 pts respectively in the 2nd half giving Western 3 scorers (Janes 17 pts/Haggy 17 pts/ Carter 27 pts for the game) ... Western when the got baskets could setup their pressure - turned the ballhandler & jumped the ball forcing 14 2nd half turnovers by Waterford ... fun game to watch with the coaching adjustments that worked and got the whole TEAM involved ...

Tigernation2021
Varsity

pfloyd wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:32 am
Tigernation2021 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:06 am
... great halftime adjustments by the Western coaching staff ... the first 2 quarters the Indians weren't hitting shots from the perimeter, Chase Carter 14 points in the half/ while Waterford's Armstrong had 17 including 3 triples ... Waterford controlled the tempo ... the 2nd half adjustments by Coach Williams & staff - get to the rim ... 36 points in the paint in the 2nd half - Kam Janes/Drew Haggy had 14/15 pts respectively in the 2nd half giving Western 3 scorers (Janes 17 pts/Haggy 17 pts/ Carter 27 pts for the game) ... Western when the got baskets could setup their pressure - turned the ballhandler & jumped the ball forcing 14 2nd half turnovers by Waterford ... fun game to watch with the coaching adjustments that worked and got the whole TEAM involved ...
Thanks, I was able to listen to the 1st half and I have to say I was concerned but kept up with scores on here until I seen the final come up. Good rundown, Carter was big in this one not just because of the 27 total but he really kept Western in striking distance that 1st half

Return to “Boys Basketball”