New Boston vs South Webster 12/30

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

New Boston vs South Webster 12/30

Post by Vito Corleone »

Thoughts on this DIV match up on Saturday?
Last edited by Vito Corleone on Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Making offers you can't refuse
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: New Boston @ South Webster 12/30

Post by Ironman92 »

Rooting SW. this should’ve a good matchup. NB probably has a better 5 and better 7 but SW on their home court I think takes this one. Don’t foul Conley #4? for free throws! Watson and Truitt fine all around players. McQuithey has good range and now Sexton back. A good D4 team.

Teams might face off deep into the tournament

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

The game is scheduled at New Boston.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

a_c_m wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:48 pm The game is scheduled at New Boston.
At NB.....New Boston by 7

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

I must have read the schedule wrong.. oops

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Vito Corleone wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:55 pm
I must have read the schedule wrong.. oops
Go back to your original post and you can edit the title...

That said, Jeeps by 10

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
mlittle
SEOP

Re: New Boston vs South Webster 12/30

Post by mlittle »

This should be a good one!

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

Good D4 test for my Jeeps! New Boston seems improved but they have absolutely no answer for Blevins!

Webster 55
New Boston 46

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

What defense will New Boston play in this one?

Box and 1 gives the other 4 Webster players the ability to be patient and possibly keep this from being an up and down game.

Man to Man makes someone on the Tigers guard Blevins without as much help but forces the other Jeeps to play more aggressively and make tougher decisions.

2-3 zone which New Boston likes to use could solve both issues if they play it like they did vs Eastern.

New Boston was down 10 to Eastern at half and made 5 straight 3s to tie it halfway into the 3rd quarter. And Eastern is very well coached —so you know they were contested and they absolutely were tough 3s. They had a little rough spell after tying it when they were too interested in the referees and The Head Coach was assessed a Technical (possibly to keep a player from getting 1) and then it became anyone’s game and Eastern made a few more shots at the end. This New Boston team is scary. And with this game being down in the Tigers home confines I think they have the advantage.

Looking forward to this one and then seeing how these teams progress throughout the season and handle the Tournaments. I noticed on the banners that it’s been a while since New Boston has advanced to The Convo.

And Webster Fans—- let’s not get jaded about Tournament runs. We’ve only had 9 years in which we’ve won a game at The Convo. There’s only been 3 coaches in Webster History win a game At The Convo. It’s tough sledding and this game is an early indication of things to come

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

Is Cox suspended for this game?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Lucas - the Jeeps have notoriously not had any success at the Convo (first win was in 2004), but that changed drastically once they dropped to D4 in 2003. They made the Convo in 2003 before barely losing to a terrific WhiteOak team that had went to State the year before. Starting in 2004 the Jeeps reeled off 8 straight wins at the Convo.

According to my stats (which is all stored in my brain with no documentation so there could be minor errors) I have the Jeeps as doing this at the Convo since dropping to D4:

2003: 0-1
2004: 2-0
2005: 2-0
2006: 2-0
2007: 2-0
2008: didn’t make it
2009: didn’t make it
2010: 0-1
2011: 2-1 (lost in regionals then played at Convo)
2012: 1-1
2013: 3-0 (regional final went to Ohio Dominican)
2014: 0-1
2015: (didn’t make it)
2016: (didn’t make it)
2017: 1-1 (barely lost in district final to a terrific Clay team)

So since dropped to D4 they have made the Convo 11 out of 15 years. Of those 11 years they made it they have a combined record of 15-6 with 5 district championships and 2 runner ups.

The Jeeps are young but they most definitely have the talent to reach the Convo, especially coming out of the notoriously weak Meigs sectional. Even the Northwest sectional is down compared to years past as last year there were 9 teams with winning records and many of them graduated a boat load of Seniors.

In terms of the best D4 team in SE Ohio, I’m not sure I could name one at the moment. Waterford is OK but clearly down from years past. Trimble has the best coach in SE D4 so they’re in discussion, but that side of the TVC has been quite bad lately. Peebles has had a good start to the year but graduated two studs last year. Clay went from the best to one of the 3 worst due to graduation. East is down. Leesburg graduated a lot but always competes. St. Joe seems better.

I keep forgetting Coal Grove - they SHOULD be the best D4 team i. SE Ohio... but after that it seems wide open.. this New Boston vs South Webster game should be very indicative of where both teams stand in SEOH D4.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:18 am Lucas - the Jeeps have notoriously not had any success at the Convo (first win was in 2004), but that changed drastically once they dropped to D4 in 2003. They made the Convo in 2003 before barely losing to a terrific WhiteOak team that had went to State the year before. Starting in 2004 the Jeeps reeled off 8 straight wins at the Convo.

According to my stats (which is all stored in my brain with no documentation so there could be minor errors) I have the Jeeps as doing this at the Convo since dropping to D4:

2003: 0-1
2004: 2-0
2005: 2-0
2006: 2-0
2007: 2-0
2008: didn’t make it
2009: didn’t make it
2010: 0-1
2011: 2-1 (lost in regionals then played at Convo)
2012: 1-1
2013: 3-0 (regional final went to Ohio Dominican)
2014: 0-1
2015: (didn’t make it)
2016: (didn’t make it)
2017: 1-1 (barely lost in district final to a terrific Clay team)

So since dropped to D4 they have made the Convo 11 out of 15 years. Of those 11 years they made it they have a combined record of 15-6 with 5 district championships and 2 runner ups.

The Jeeps are young but they most definitely have the talent to reach the Convo, especially coming out of the notoriously weak Meigs sectional. Even the Northwest sectional is down compared to years past as last year there were 9 teams with winning records and many of them graduated a boat load of Seniors.

In terms of the best D4 team in SE Ohio, I’m not sure I could name one at the moment. Waterford is OK but clearly down from years past. Trimble has the best coach in SE D4 so they’re in discussion, but that side of the TVC has been quite bad lately. Peebles has had a good start to the year but graduated two studs last year. Clay went from the best to one of the 3 worst due to graduation. East is down. Leesburg graduated a lot but always competes. St. Joe seems better.

I keep forgetting Coal Grove - they SHOULD be the best D4 team i. SE Ohio... but after that it seems wide open.. this New Boston vs South Webster game should be very indicative of where both teams stand in SEOH D4.
Good points. That terrific Whiteoak team actually only had 1 starter and 1 rotation player on that team from the year before where they made it to state. One of the step up starters on that 2003 team was sophomore Blake Kibler...who now is the varsity head coach at Whiteoak.

SWhas had great success in D4 tourney even though they have been screwed over in seedlings most years by small school SOC coaches.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Even though New Boston lost to Eastern Pike, they played them tough. This will be a dogfight for the Jeeps and I'm interested to see how they react after getting wood-shedded at Oak Hill and a week to stew over it. Gotta think Webster will be ready to play Saturday night.

lucas: I'd bet New Boston goes zone against Webster to slow down Blevins until Webster gives them a reason to come out of it. That's what Notre Dame did to Webster and it kept them in the game into the 4th quarter.

bbjunky: thanks for the Webster Convo results. I knew Webster has had success in D4 since moving down in 2003, but pretty impressive to see when compiled.*

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Those convo statistics are spot on.

I think the Coaching statistics for District games at The Convo are:

Rick Bowman 0-2. Losses to Minford and Unioto. D3.

Brett Roberts 0-1. Lost to Whiteoak and will still tell you how he regrets not playing Coriell with 2 fouls for the majority of the first half.

Marc Kreischer 8-0. Current Superintendent.

Steven Ater 5-2. Losses to Southern and Manchester.

Ryan Fenton 1-2. Losses to Paint Valley and Clay.

You used to get The Convo Program and hide from the History. Not no more.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Currently pfloyd has Webster as the 5th best team in the Meigs Sectional — behind Waterford and Miller and Trimble and Southern. 4 get out to the Convo. Nothing easy about it. Let’s not forget that Webster lost 3 starters and has 0 seniors.

He has New Boston ranked 4th at Northwest behind Fairfield and Peebles and Coal Grove.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:54 pm Those convo statistics are spot on.

I think the Coaching statistics for District games at The Convo are:

Rick Bowman 0-2. Losses to Minford and Unioto. D3.

Brett Roberts 0-1. Lost to Whiteoak and will still tell you how he regrets not playing Coriell with 2 fouls for the majority of the first half.

Marc Kreischer 8-0. Current Superintendent.

Steven Ater 5-2. Losses to Southern and Manchester.

Ryan Fenton 1-2. Losses to Paint Valley and Clay.

You used to get The Convo Program and hide from the History. Not no more.
What is Brett Roberts doing? He have kids that play?

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Principal at SWHS.

He has a son. Still in Elementary—- 5th grade? Not sure.

But he has the pull up 3.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:26 pm Principal at SWHS.

He has a son. Still in Elementary—- 5th grade? Not sure.

But he has the pull up 3.
Nice

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:13 pm Currently pfloyd has Webster as the 5th best team in the Meigs Sectional — behind Waterford and Miller and Trimble and Southern. 4 get out to the Convo. Nothing easy about it. Let’s not forget that Webster lost 3 starters and has 0 seniors.

He has New Boston ranked 4th at Northwest behind Fairfield and Peebles and Coal Grove.
I love pfloyd and appreciate all that he does but those numbers aren’t necessarily going to be accurate. It’s common knowledge that the TVC is down and Meigs was BY FAR the worst of the two sectionals last year. The only team from the Meigs sectional to win any games at the Convo was Waterford (#1 Clay beat Miller by around 30, #2 Eastern beat St Joe by around 30, #6 South Webster beat #2 Trimble by 10).

I’m not saying it’s going to be easy by any means, but playing in the Meigs sectional is MUCH better than playing in the Northwest sectional. The Northwest Sectional last year was the best D4 sectional SE Ohio has seen in many, many years. 9 teams with winning records and your 10th and 11th seeds were WhiteOak and New Boston who, in my opinion, were both dangerous. Other than the #1 seed Waterford the sectional was quite bad, and Trimble is the only one off the top of my head that returns a good chunk of their talent.

If South Webster can be the 3-6 seed they’ll be fine. They don’t want to slip to the 7 or 8 or they’ll have their hands full to get out.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Back to this game — sorry for getting side tracked.

I think it’s a great test for both teams. I don’t want to pick a winner, but I do think it’ll be close either way. Just like any game against SW the question will be - can they stop/limit Blevins? And how? That’s no easy task, he is a heck of a player.

On the flip side, how does SW stop Conley? He is one of the better D4 guards in this area.

Return to “Boys Basketball”