jr high softball

captainmorgan
Waterboy

Re: jr high softball

Post by captainmorgan »

softball24_7 wrote:
pirates87 wrote:
softball24_7 wrote:
Burg will have more than enough talent without Claxson to dominate again this year. We have some girls coming up who are playing for top ranked travel teams in the state. None of these other teams have that kind of talent. So no, don't count us out.
Really? Do you truly have any idea of the local talent that is in our area? You could put all the top 14u players in our area on a team and compete with any of the top 14u teams in the state. Including lasers, glory, static, hawks, classics, (I can keep adding teams If needed, and from different states)... Burg has a kid (7th grade) who played and started with thunder last year, NW has a kid that played and started with classics, oak hill has at least 1 that starts with lasers, and one extremely talented eith grader (not sure who she's with this year?) Minford has a starter with Glory. So yea, I think there is talent at OTHER schools..
So you're saying that there isn't talent anywhere but Burg?? But Oak Hill has a kid starting on Lasers?? And NW has a kid starting with Classics?? To say no one else has talent just makes you sounds like a fool. Sounds to me like someone is talking up a big game because he knows his team won't bring one.

Noodle319
Freshman Team

Post by Noodle319 »

Since we are talking about travel ball. What would it take to keep our girls in southern Ohio? I’m talking an 8u to 18u organization with quality coaches and organized. This should be good.

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

Good to see there is a lot of talent in the area! I'm sure there will be several good teams this year. But it's jr high so I think it'll take seeing the teams on the field. Who knows which kids have put the work in the winter or how kids have grown & gotten stronger. I'm sure there are some kids to watch(I think that was a question the OP asked) & some kids we don't even know about who are solid players. People talk about there are kids playing for top travel teams? That's great to have kids from SE Ohio getting those opportunities! Should be a fun season.

Karma2
Riding the Bench

Post by Karma2 »

pirates87 wrote:
softball24_7 wrote:Looking at last year, and what teams lost who.. I would pick Oak Hill, NW, Minford (pitching?), ND, but you really can't count Burg out either. Not sure who they have returning to the mound. Claxson was dominate last year.
As far as having 6th graders playing Jr high, why not?? NW has had at least 2 sixth graders in starting positions the last 2 years and have finished in the top 4 both years at the tourney. I say if the talent is there, let them play. NW lost 3 starters from last years squad, but good potential will be coming up. ND lost a couple, Oak Hill will be returning all but 1 or 2 I believe, and Minford lost a few. Should be a lot of great games none the less.
Burg will have more than enough talent without Claxson to dominate again this year. We have some girls coming up who are playing for top ranked travel teams in the state. None of these other teams have that kind of talent. So no, don't count us out.
I believe Claxson is a Freshman.

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

Yes Claxon is a freshman. He was saying he thinks burg will have enough talent without her. She was a very good pitcher last year & I'm sure will do well in HS.

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

When do jr high games start?

softball24_7
Freshman Team

Post by softball24_7 »

First sched game will be the wk of march 14th

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

pirates87 wrote:Wheelersburg will dominate again. Any other teams that may compete with burg? What players to watch out for and what travel teams are they with? What travel teams in our area to watch?
Does burg return most of there key players besides Claxon? Who are the players to watch?

Dadof3
Waterboy

Post by Dadof3 »

I've watched, coached & coached against several of the girls in the area in travel ball over the last 4 years. A lot of talented girls! Be fun watching them play for there schools this year. I also think Ironton coming in will add a very solid team in the mix.

Alwaysanoak
Waterboy

Re

Post by Alwaysanoak »

I agree. Lots of talent in our area for Jr High softball this season. Not just one strong team but many.

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

Talked to a friend who has watched teams play a lot last several years. He says top 5 will be:
1. Ironton
2. Wheelersburg
3. Oak Hill
4. Minford
5. Northwest
Sound about right?

Noodle319
Freshman Team

Post by Noodle319 »

All good teams but I would put Oak Hill ahead of the Burg and Notre Dame at the fourth spot. Have watched all these teams play and the league should be great this year. If Clay returns the team from last year you can put them in the top 5 also.

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

I'll buy that. Said wheelersburg had a couple girls move in and a 7th grader that are difference makers is why they were so high?

softball24_7
Freshman Team

Post by softball24_7 »

If pitching will hold up for NW and Minford, I'd have to put ND at the 6th spot. ND will have 2 solid pitchers as long as they put their time in this winter. But I think Nw and Minford has a better offense, defense, just can't give up free bases. Then again, its softball, you never know how it will go, lol. I believe Clay lost almost their entire team from last year. That freshmen class this year is loaded with talent which I'm sure will help Clay tremendously. Just can't wait to get things going, going to be an exciting year. Feel bad because our girls lost their bball tourney games, but on a side note, softball prac starts Monday. :)

Dadof3
Waterboy

Post by Dadof3 »

I agree. Pitching & catching will be huge. Can't give up free bases & can't let runners just walk around the bases. Most teams can hit & field(some better than others I'm sure) but those 2 positions will decide a lot of games.

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

Dadof3 wrote:I agree. Pitching & catching will be huge. Can't give up free bases & can't let runners just walk around the bases. Most teams can hit & field(some better than others I'm sure) but those 2 positions will decide a lot of games.
So I assume the top teams have the best at these 2 positions?

softball24_7
Freshman Team

Post by softball24_7 »

Pitching will be the tell-tale. Behind the plate, Burg will have Sturgill (7th), Hale (8th) at Minford, NW will have Newman (8th). All 3 are extremely talented and will hold the runners at bay.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Oak hill have some pitching coming up ?

softball24_7
Freshman Team

Post by softball24_7 »

ManitouDan2 wrote:Oak hill have some pitching coming up ?
I might be wrong, but I think both throwers from last year will still be there. I know the one for sure, not sure about the other though.

captainmorgan
Waterboy

Post by captainmorgan »

ManitouDan2 wrote:Oak hill have some pitching coming up ?
Is the pitcher the kid that plays for Lasers? if not what position is she?

Return to “Softball”