November 17, 2023 Harvest Prep 22 - 0 Wheelersburg

522Pirate
Varsity

Re: Wheelersburg v Harvest Prep

Post by 522Pirate »

TigerBob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:33 pm
mattash wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:39 pm Thoughts? Can Burg pull off the upset?

We need to rally around Burg and Eastern
Sort of hard to pull the upset when you are favored. How on Earth did Prep beat them so bad the first time?
Not sure who has Burg favored…prep already has a win at Burg and is the higher seed…Fantastic 50 has prep by 11

Interested to see if we will stick with the power running game and just sprinkle in some passes as we did the second half of the first matchup. When we finally committed to it prep was having trouble defending it but that was the story of the first two meetings, with prep adjusting to it in the second half and we made no adjustments and couldn’t move the ball resulting in losses. I think we are much improved offensively with at least a threat of the pass and the defense, other than barnesville’s first drive, has been playing lights out. Should be a great game!

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

I hope FanDuel offers Wheelersburg +11.

I have only seen Prep once, but Wheelersburg can beat that team. Once Ironton made the adjustment to not get out leveraged by a speed guy, Prep struggled to move it. I don’t see why that will be any different against Wheelersburg, regardless of what happened two months ago.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

522Pirate wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:35 am
TigerBob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:33 pm
mattash wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:39 pm Thoughts? Can Burg pull off the upset?

We need to rally around Burg and Eastern
Sort of hard to pull the upset when you are favored. How on Earth did Prep beat them so bad the first time?
Not sure who has Burg favored…prep already has a win at Burg and is the higher seed…Fantastic 50 has prep by 11

Interested to see if we will stick with the power running game and just sprinkle in some passes as we did the second half of the first matchup. When we finally committed to it prep was having trouble defending it but that was the story of the first two meetings, with prep adjusting to it in the second half and we made no adjustments and couldn’t move the ball resulting in losses. I think we are much improved offensively with at least a threat of the pass and the defense, other than barnesville’s first drive, has been playing lights out. Should be a great game!
The game plan and play calling really haven’t changed week to week since that first HP game. That game really flipped a switch for this team and coaching staff I think. Having week 6 off as Oak Hill cancelled really helped get things in line. Play calling has a rhythm now, being okay with 1-3 yard gains to set stuff up for later in the game. Calling to Ruckers strengths. Settling in on Warren being the feature back. Undoubtedly the best OLine in the region, possibly in the division.
It’s been a total success compared to first half of the season.

Defense continues to be lights out. Allowing only 3 touchdowns in last 6 games including only 1 in the three playoff games. Really reminds you of the State Title team’s D.

Clean up the penalties and win the turnover battle, everything else will fall into place for the Pirates. Do those two things and we’ll see them in the State semis. If not, look for a repeat of Week 5.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Wheelersburg had a good game plan against Barnesville. At times, Burg had a a few hiccups with execution but overall I thought they adjusted very well defensively and tackled well in the open spaces. It was super frustrating to see them start out the 3rd quarter the way they did offensively but Creed Warren had a huge game running the football.

I really think that Wheelersburg has a great chance against Harvest Prep. Got to win the game in the trenches and open field. Whomever said that Coach Woodward is 8-0 against teams the second time in the same season is exactly right:

2013: Beat Fairland both times
2014: Beat Ironton both times
2015: Beat Ironton both times
2018: Beat West both times
2019: Beat Minford both times
2020: Beat West both times
2021: Beat West both times
2021: Lost to Ironton week 1, beat them in week 13

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

9-0 @Jason Vorhees

Wheelersburg is 9-0 in the playoffs vs teams they played in the regular season (under Woodward).

Week 8: Minford at Wheelersburg – W 14-7
Round 1: Minford at Wheelersburg – W 14-6

Week 4: Fairland at Wheelersburg – W 49-32
Round 1: Fairland at Wheelersburg – W 40-21

Week 1: Ironton at Wheelersburg – W 42-16
Round 2: Ironton vs Wheelersburg at Portsmouth – W 38-7

Week 1: Wheelersburg at Ironton – W 14-6
Round 1: Ironton at Wheelersburg – W 38-7

Week 10: Wheelersburg at West – W 28-7
Round 1: West at Wheelersburg – W 52-7

Week 6: Wheelersburg at Minford – W 21-20 OT
Round 1: Minford at Wheelersburg – W 28-23

2020 Covid Year

Week 10: Wheelersburg at West – W 28-0
Round 2: West at Wheelersburg – W 47-13

Week 1: Wheelersburg at Ironton – L 6-40
Week 10: West at Wheelersburg – W 38-0
Round 1: West at Wheelersburg – W 23-14
Round 3: Ironton vs Wheelersburg at Portsmouth – W 17-14

Girevik
Waterboy

Post by Girevik »

Where’s that one guy that keeps bragging about Ironton winning regional titles compared to Burg winning the state championship? Someone might want to check on him. 😂

Come to Ukraine! We Train!
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Raider6309 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:52 pm
coachK wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:27 pm
d-5 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:23 pm

This game will be in Athens (they need money for new band uniforms) :roll:
Logan would be better than Athens.
I don't think too many teams would want to host Burg and HP. Neither team brought many fans last year to NY. Basically comes down to who wants to host for no money
That’s because it was at NY that place is a terrible playoff location.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Should be a good game, they’ve played at Waverly and at Chillicothe over the years I look for one of those places again. Burg has gotten so much better over the course of the season and this is a good matchup, I look for a low scoring affair but burg in a close one.

Girevik
Waterboy

Post by Girevik »

greygoose wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:24 am Should be a good game, they’ve played at Waverly and at Chillicothe over the years I look for one of those places again. Burg has gotten so much better over the course of the season and this is a good matchup, I look for a low scoring affair but burg in a close one.
If your prediction is correct that guy that keeps bragging about Ironton winning regional titles and saying Burg can’t win one will be on suicidal watch. Someone might want to check on him.

Come to Ukraine! We Train!
fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Girevik wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:32 am
greygoose wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:24 am Should be a good game, they’ve played at Waverly and at Chillicothe over the years I look for one of those places again. Burg has gotten so much better over the course of the season and this is a good matchup, I look for a low scoring affair but burg in a close one.
If your prediction is correct that guy that keeps bragging about Ironton winning regional titles and saying Burg can’t win one will be on suicidal watch. Someone might want to check on him.
Nah, he’ll will come back under another name😂. Guys probably up to more names than many have posts😂

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Click his username, then add foe. Much better user experience.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

TigerBob wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:32 am Click his username, then add foe. Much better user experience.
Thanks
Didn’t know that. I’m assuming you won’t see his posts?

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

That’s accurate.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I hate to hear NY is putting in a track so can't play there. NOT!!!!!! Horrible location for both schools. Like someone said, nothing against the facilities but that drive is killer and older people will not make it. Play this game straight up 23 and you'll have a packed house.

I think Prep will be cocky as hell coming into this game and Burg needs to come out and smack them hard as they don't like to be hit. Just like Africentric didn't like to be hit and they folded early. Burg is 10 times better than the first time these two met and I think Burg has something to prove.
To be the best you have to beat the best and Prep has become a nemesis here lately just like Versailles was back in the day. Burg finally got there first win against Versailles in the 89 semifinal and then when on to win it all.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Girevik wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:07 am Where’s that one guy that keeps bragging about Ironton winning regional titles compared to Burg winning the state championship? Someone might want to check on him. 😂
Burg has won the region 3 times in 25 + years

mustard
Varsity

Post by mustard »

… prep out recruited Ironton and burg combined 😅😁

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Game is at Athens. Burg will get home stands but be away team for all other intents and purposes.
Last edited by Sonny Weaver on Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elijah Craig
Freshman Team

Post by Elijah Craig »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:42 pm Game at Athens
That is correct. Burg has the home stands but will be the visitors

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

I hope you're wrong. Not a great site for a game where Wheelersburg will be on the away side. Parking and getting away from the stadium was bad last night. One way in and out makes it take forever.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

That’s the official word on where game is. Stinks for sure. Waverly or Chillicothe seemed like a no brainer

Return to “Football”