2018-2019 New Boston Glenwood Tigers

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: 2018-2019 New Boston Glenwood Tigers

Post by Ironman92 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:10 pm
art_vandelay wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:50 pm
Vito Corleone wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:28 am Truitt going to come back to NB? If so, they could go Final 4
The rumblings are out there.*
If he stayed at Webster or New Boston they both have tremendous chances at the State Tournament this year. Instead they'll win the D3 District at Burg and lose yet again to the Harvest Prep/Africentric's of the world.

Irrelevant conversation though to this topic. New Boston is having a decent season, anxious to take them in soon and see how the freshman is. Whiteoak is a pretty decent D4 team but New Boston definitely should have won that game at home.

Nonetheless, New Boston is still a top 5 D4 team in the district, no doubt about that.
Why should they have won?

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Well, I heard NB was up 16 pts in the 3rd quarter at home. If that was the case then they should have won.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:30 pm
wobycat wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:12 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:10 pm

If he stayed at Webster or New Boston they both have tremendous chances at the State Tournament this year. Instead they'll win the D3 District at Burg and lose yet again to the Harvest Prep/Africentric's of the world.

Irrelevant conversation though to this topic. New Boston is having a decent season, anxious to take them in soon and see how the freshman is. Whiteoak is a pretty decent D4 team but New Boston definitely should have won that game at home.

Nonetheless, New Boston is still a top 5 D4 team in the district, no doubt about that.
I just laughed out loud. If Truitt is that good, he has a chance to lead the Burg to the state.
I think you're missing the point. The difference in D3 and D4 is DRASTIC this season. Truitt would be a top 3-4 D4 player in SE Ohio, I think we all could agree on that. D4 in the SEO District is wayyyy down and Webster may be the favorite to a district title without him. The regional is always much harder, obviously, but the teams that tended to always win the regional as of late would be Africentric or Harvest Prep...... both of which moved to D3.

The regional in D4 is wide open. And as long as Africentric/Harvest Prep/Worthington Christian and all the other perennial powers stay in D3, it's going to be near impossible for a SE Ohio team to win the D3 Regional.
I think Truitt is a fantastic player but I don’t put him in a drastic team change type of player. He’s just benefiting from the improved guard play of burg along with the fact that Holden will almost always draw a double team. Again this is not a ding on him, because he’s a fantastic player but his best chance of doing anything is where he’s at. Burg has a chance of winning the regional. They are pretty good. They took care of a solid Oak Hill and ironton team. Both those teams have good players

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:19 pm Well, I heard NB was up 16 pts in the 3rd quarter at home. If that was the case then they should have won.
I heard WO won the 2nd half 45-27...that sounds to me like the team that should’ve won

It goes both ways

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Up 16 pts at HOME in the 3rd, you should win.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:58 pm Up 16 pts at HOME in the 3rd, you should win.
Out score a team 45-27 in the second half...you should win

TCat
Riding the Bench

Post by TCat »

Vito Corleone wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:28 am Truitt going to come back to NB? If so, they could go Final 4
They loose Holden and Salyers this year. Truitt still has 2 years left. What will Wheelersburg have left for him to play with?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Lol. People who complain about transferring kids into burg are saying he should leave because they won’t have anyone.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

New Boston Glenwood 75
Green 57

The Tigers rebounded after their loss on Saturday with the victory tonight in Franklin Furnace. The Bobcats led after one at 16-13. The Tigers took control the rest of the game, leading at the half 39-27, after three 63-42 and the final 75-57.

New Boston, now 5-2, 3-0 goes to Eastern Pike on Friday the 21st to meet the Eagles for first place in the conference. Eastern is 5-1, 4-0 after defeating Notre Dame tonight 52-18. Green slips to 5-4, 2-2. The Bobcats are at Western 4-1, 3-1 on Friday.

The Bobcats took the JV game 41-26.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

From The Daily Times

Tigers blitz Green, pickup tough road win

Sports

Set up undefeated SOC matchup with Eastern on Friday

By Jacob Smith - jsmith@aimmediamidwest.com

New Boston outscored Green 50-26 in the second and third quarters of their SOC road trip to Franklin Furnace Tuesday night.

Jacob Smith | Daily Times

New Boston junior guard Marcus Saunders finished with 16 points in the Tigers road win at Green Tuesday night.

Jacob Smith | Daily Times

FRANKLIN FURNACE – Finish Strong. That’s the new motto that the New Boston Tigers adopted after their home loss on Saturday night to White Oak, a game in which they led by twelve points at halftime.

“After the White Oak game,” said New Boston head coach Adam Cox. “We came up with a new slogan, that we’re going to ‘Finish Strong’. Every game, we’re going to finish stronger than we started. We’ve got to be more focused on what we have to do once we take a lead, to be able to expand on it.”

In their first game since adopting their new motto, the Tigers could not have executed the meaning of that motto better in their road win over Green on Tuesday night in Franklin Furnace, 75-57.

New Boston trailed Green after one quarter 16-13, but that would change about as quick as anyone could have expected. Gage Sampson had eight of his game high 29 points in the first quarter, and Tayte Carver finished the first with seven points for the Bobcats.

When the Tigers started forcing turnovers at a frantic pace due to their quickness and aggressiveness on the defensive end, those steals, and blocks turned into outlet passes and easy buckets on the offensive end.

“We were just able to create some turnovers,” said Cox. “We were able to get in the passing lanes, put some pressure on their guards. We really wanted them to feel the effects of not having Tanner (Kimbler), ball-handling wise. I thought Grady (Jackson) and Marcus (Saunders) played phenomenal tonight on both ends of the court.”

Cox is right. The freshman and junior guards applied a lot of pressure to the Green back court who was without their point guard in Kimbler and were able to wreak a lot of havoc defensively. In addition to their pest-like defensive efforts, the two guards combined for 33 points in a road conference win, something that isn’t exactly the easiest thing in the world to do.

As quick as New Boston was getting up and down the court, they were making the right pass and finding the open man. The Tigers outscored Green 50-26 in the second and third quarters combined to help propel them to what Cox believes is his biggest coaching win of his career.

“To win here, it’s my first win here as the New Boston coach,” said Cox while reliving the night’s events for his team. “This is the oldest gym in Southern Ohio, this and East. They’ve been here since the seventies. They’ve had a lot of great teams, and a lot of great teams on that floor. For you to come in here and win, with or without Kimbler, Green is one of the best teams coached by one of the best coaches. Dirk (Hollar) is awesome with his kids.”

The Bobcats were led in scoring by Sampson who had a monster night in the paint, scoring a game high 29, Carver finished with 14 points on the night, as well as Caden Blizzard who finished with six.

In addition to the efforts of Saunders and Jackson, New Boston was led in scoring by Kyle Sexton who finished with a team high 25 points and Tyler Caldwell who finished with 13, three of which came from a three in the first half that was a good two steps behind the three point line.

The week before Christmas doesn’t get any easier this Friday as the Tigers will head to Beaver to face the reigning SOC I champion Eastern Eagles in a battle of the undefeated teams in SOC play in the early stages of the season.

“One of the toughest places to play is Green, right up there on the list is Eastern,” said Cox. “Coach Barrick is going to have his team ready. (Evan) Leist and (Michael) Miller are two of the best players around. I have to get these young kids ready and have them mentally focused on playing Eastern on Friday. We need to let the chips fall and see where they stand, and hopefully we can get us another big road win.”

Green will travel to Latham on Friday to face the Western Indians to close out SOC I play in 2018.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

I believe New Boston is very young, correct? I believe this team has a very bright future.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

TCat wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:21 pm
They loose Holden and Salyers this year. Truitt still has 2 years left. What will Wheelersburg have left for him to play with?
There are three sophomores (including Truitt) who see varsity time this year. Burg will be fine. And if not, they'll just recruit more, eh guys? :lol:

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

The JV game will only be two quarters tomorrow night at Eastern.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Hang in there a_c_m.

This board needs all the fair and accurate posters it can get.

Good luck to your Tigers Friday night.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

burgfella69 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:27 am I believe New Boston is very young, correct? I believe this team has a very bright future.
In the first six, New Boston has one senior, two juniors, one sophomore and two freshman. The future does look bright!

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Eastern 64
New Boston Glenwood 62

It took three overtimes for the homestanding Eagles to pull out the win over the Tigers. New Boston jumped out to a 10-2 lead to start the game and held the lead until the 7:12 mark of the third quarter when the Eagles tied it up and took the lead briefly. By quarters, the Tigers led after one at 16-8, at the half 24-18 and after three 39-32. Eastern rallied with the play of Leist and tied the game at the end of regulation 48-48 to send it to overtime. After the first overtime it was 50-50, the second 58-58 and the final 64-62 Eagles. It was an excellent game with tremendous effort by both teams.

Eastern, now 6-1, 5-0 takes first in SOC1, while the Tigers slip to 5-3, 4-1.

The Eagles next play in the Pike County Holiday Tournament on 12/28 and 12/29. New Boston is off until 1/4 when they host the Notre Dame Titans in the Den.

The JV game went to the Eagles 36-19.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

From The Daily Times
Leist’s buzzer-beater lifts Eastern over New Boston in triple overtime thriller

Sports

By Derrick Webb - PDT Sports Writer

photo

BEAVER — After scoring seven straight points to send Friday’s game into the first of three overtimes, after playing 44 consecutive minutes with a sinus infection — he never left the court — and after hitting a game-winning buzzer beater, Eastern’s Evan Leist still has time to bake cookies for Santa.

With teammates Michael Miller and Cody Weaver sitting on the bench after fouling out late in the game, the Eagles looked to Leist to deliver a win with less than 10 seconds left in triple OT.

With ball in hand, Leist split a double team and missed his first attempt. But after grabbing his own rebound, with less than two seconds remaining, his putback attempt kissed the glass and fell through the cylinder as time expired — giving Eastern a 64-62 win over New Boston.

Christmas came early in Beaver.

“We were down big in the fourth quarter and I knew we had to get back in the game so I was going to try to do all I could to get in the lane and score,” Leist said. “If they came over and helped [on the final play], I was going to kick it out. I just wanted to win. That’s all I was worried about. The adrenaline kicked in and I finished the game … luckily got that last second putback.”

But it was much more than luck.

It was grit. It was an unmatched will to win. It was all-out, exhaustive effort.

All of the above allowed the final sequence to take place.

“Evan’s a tough kid and he’s a well-conditioned athlete. We never took him off the floor in a triple overtime game,” Eastern coach Tom Barrick said. “He was spent but he wouldn’t have accepted not being on the floor. He showed toughness through a full game and three overtimes.”

As did Barrick’s entire roster.

To make a long story short, the Eagles (6-1, 5-0 SOC I) absorbed New Boston’s best punch, got up, and swung right back.

“In the SOC I, you have to win at home and this was a huge win for us,” Barrick said. “New Boston had an outstanding game plan. But we lacked energy for three and a half quarters. Our will to win just took over there in the last four minutes of the game. We really struggled for three quarters. But I can’t say enough about our kids. Toughness down the stretch, not giving in … for us to win, I can’t say enough positive things about our kids. Tremendous grind.”

Battle on the glass … goes to Sexton

While the Eagles won the game, they struggled to win the rebounding battle … thanks to New Boston’s Kyle Sexton.

Sexton was his usual self, causing trouble in the paint and claiming the offensive glass as his own. By the end of the night, the sophomore had brought down 26 rebounds.

“We knew [Sexton] was outstanding in the paint and on the glass,” Barrick said. “I thought there were moments where he just wanted the ball more than we did. His effort to go get the ball was outstanding. It’ll be a great matchup when we go there. But you have to give that young man credit. He played outstanding. I’m just happy we were able to come out with the win.”

Tale of the tape

Early and often, Sexton and teammate Tyler Caldwell paced the Tigers’ offensive game plan. The duo combined to score New Boston’s first 10 points, paving the way to a 16-8 lead after the first eight minutes. That eight-point lead had shrunk to six by halftime at 24-18.

After the break, the Eagles immediately caused two consecutive turnovers and got a stop on the defensive end. That led to a 6-0 run, forcing a 24-24 tie and New Boston coach Adam Cox to call a timeout.

His team responded well.

Trailing 26-25, the Tigers (5-3, 4-1 SOC I) mounted a 10-2 run to seize a 35-28 edge before entering the assumed final eight minutes up 39-32.

But that’s when things got hairy.

After Grady Jackson scored to put New Boston ahead 46-33, the Eagles went on an 8-0 run to cut the deficit back to single digits at 46-41. Jackson then scored again, to make it 48-41, and made way for Mr. Evan Leist to make his mark.

Leist proceeded to score seven straight points, tying the game at 48 and sending the game into the first four-minute overtime period — where each team scored just two points before heading into double overtime tied at 50.

In double overtime, it was New Boston’s turn to claw its way back into things. The Eagles took a 56-51 lead before Jackson hit a 3 with 1:33 to go, followed by a bank shot from Caldwell at 1:00. After each team traded free throws and buckets, the game headed to a third overtime, 58-58.

That opened another door for Mr. Leist to put on his cape and become the night’s hero.

“Coming in, we knew this was a huge game, basically between first and second place in the SOC,” Leist said. “They got up on us and we just had to grind it out the whole game. Everybody was tired. Their star players were fouling out, our star players were fouling out. We just had to be tough and finish it out.”

Stat book

Leist led all scorers with 30 points while Miller had 12 points and six rebounds. Weaver ended the night with seven points and eight rebounds, Hunter Cochenour had seven points, seven rebounds and three assists, and Parker Clemmons added seven points and eight boards.

For the Tigers, Sexton added team-highs of 17 points and five assists to his 26 rebounds while Caldwell also ended the night with 17 alongside nine boards. Jackson tallied 11 points, Marcus Saunders ended with nine, and Jerome McKinley added eight to his team’s total.

What’s on tap

The Eagles get back to action on Dec. 28, playing in the Pike County Holiday Classic against Waverly while New Boston attempts to bounce back on Jan. 4, hosting Notre Dame.

One thing is for sure: Eastern now has a leg up in the SOC I title race.

“I think this win will be even bigger as we play out the rest of the season,” Barrick said. “This win could be a huge factor as we look down the road. It’s huge. No question about it.”

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

New Boston Glenwood 77
Notre Dame 29

The Tigers defeated the Titans tonight in New Boston. New Boston jumped out to a 27-3 first quarter score and never looked back. The Tigers were up 42-11 at the half, 66-21 after three and the final 77-29. NB played twelve players in the game with 9 hitting the scoring column. Leading the Tigers in scoring with a game high 17 points was Caldwell, followed by McKinley 16, Saunders 14, Sexton 10, Jackson 6, Craft 5, Mays 4, Branham 3 and Truitt 2.
Leading scorers for the Titans was Kammer with 9, Clark 9 and Nichols 7.

New Boston improves to 6-3 overall and 5-1 in conference play. Notre Dame goes to 0-8,0-6. The Tigers host the Peebles Indians 5-3 tomorrow in the Den. Notre Dame hosts the St.Joseph Flyers 6-2 tomorrow night.

The New Boston Junior Varsity picked up their first win of the season over the Titans 17-10.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

New Boston Glenwood 80
Peebles 58

New Boston won tonight over the Peebles Indians. Scoring by quarter, Tigers led after one 17-11, at the half 41-25, after three 59-38 and the final 80-58.

The Tigers had balanced scoring with Sexton 25, McKinley 16, Jackson 16, Caldwell 13 and Saunders 10. Peebles was led by Browning with 20 and Burba 14.

NB has a full schedule next week starting on Tuesday 1/8 hosting the Western Indians 8-2, 5-1, 1/11 the Vikings of Symmes Valley 2-9,2-4 come to the Den, and on Saturday the 12th travel up to South Point 3-3 to tangle with the Pointers in a non league game. The Indians host Clermont Northeastern on the 12th.

Peebles won the JV game 58-19 with the Indians McCoy leading the scorers with 17 points.

Return to “Boys Basketball”