Gallia Academy@ Ironton

joemama
Riding the Bench

Re: Gallia Academy@ Ironton

Post by joemama »

I really wish these southern Ohio Civil Wars could be televised for all basketball enthusiast. The fans, the bad officiating, the coaching, the student-athletes- it's so beautiful to see how it all unwinds in about an hour and a half.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Ironton is a tough place to play but Gallia is a tough place also . Ironton has some good players and so does Gallia . Sounds like a hard fought game and sometimes the officials will let them play . I was not there but sounds like a good game and thats what High School sports is about . Blaming officials , score keepers or a coach darkens the success of both teams . Gallia will get a chance to even the record and that should be exciting for both schools . Remember on a given night anyone can be beaten . Good luck to both teams !

Half Slice
Freshman Team

Post by Half Slice »

Ironton got a first hand look at why Jackson so
loathes Gallipolis last night.

joemama
Riding the Bench

Post by joemama »

...on a side note- most schools employ a "league officiating assignor", so even if it's not a league game all the officials for all the games on that teams schedule are assigned prior to the start of the year. Do schools in southern Ohio not employ this strategy? It really eliminates the "homer" claim in terms of officials.
Last edited by joemama on Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Half Slice wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:01 pm
blackraider wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:55 pm Ironton will play Loveday VERY PHYSICAL-guarantee it.

Black Raider had this one spot on. If he struggles to establish position on the block with 6’02” OVC kids bouncing him around what will happen when he lines up against grown men in the college ranks?
Well first off be the time he is 19-22 years old he will be a grown man as well. You can’t judge his body now as to what it will look like in 3 years.

SEOAL74
Freshman Team

Post by SEOAL74 »

Game is over Ironton boys won and played a good game

Half Slice
Freshman Team

Post by Half Slice »

Wish him the best going forward. I cheer for any kid from our neck of the woods to do well.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

As I said on the thread about loveday. Hard to believe people are bashing a kid averaging 20 points 14 rebounds and 6 blocks a game.

As far as the blue devils go they needed this. They don’t play again until the 28th. I think then you will begin to see this team become who they are going to become.

The problems they are having are all in figuring out rolls and there adjustments when people come after them differently. We have to remember this is the blue devils first go around at this. This group of kids have always been a ok team now. People expect them to be great. They are getting everyone else best effort every night. They will adjust.

GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:01 am Wow, what a big win. Congratulations to the Fighting Tigers and Coach Lafon..
I cannot believe that coach lafon is on board of directors through OHSAA and allowed what happened at his basketball court last night. The officials were out of hand, his score keeper cheated, and he had his kids doing some dirty tactics to Loveday. Trust me OHSAA will be hearing about this.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I had picked the Blue Devils to roll through the OVC, and after last night my opinion of them hasn't changed. They won't go undefeated in OVC play, but they still should win the conference title. As for Ironton, congratulations on a huge win. One thing that never changes at IHS is how Coach Lafon gets his kids to always play hard, no matter what talent level they have.

Rosco
Riding the Bench

Post by Rosco »

[quote=GalliaTribe post_id=1724167 time=1544893161 user_id=15248]
[quote=ohbuckeye2 post_id=1724050 time=1544850109 user_id=114]
Wow, what a big win. Congratulations to the Fighting Tigers and Coach Lafon..
[/quote]

I cannot believe that coach lafon is on board of directors through OHSAA and allowed what happened at his basketball court last night. The officials were out of hand, his score keeper cheated, and he had his kids doing some dirty tactics to Loveday. Trust me OHSAA will be hearing about this.
[/quote]

Cheating versus making a mistake. Big difference

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Half Slice wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:27 am Ironton got a first hand look at why Jackson so
Please elaborate, oh wise one.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Learn from this ! And what goes around comes around ! GO GA !

blackraider
Riding the Bench

Post by blackraider »

[quote=GalliaGrad78 post_id=1724180 time=1544895140 user_id=643]
[quote="Half Slice" post_id=1724129 time=1544884054 user_id=7080]
Ironton got a first hand look at why Jackson so
[/quote]

[/quote]
I’d say the Slicer is referring to the Gallia posse hanging around on the court griping and looking to challenge people AFTER the game.

The voice of the PEOPLE
Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

svac83 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:43 am As I said on the thread about loveday. Hard to believe people are bashing a kid averaging 20 points 14 rebounds and 6 blocks a game.

As far as the blue devils go they needed this. They don’t play again until the 28th. I think then you will begin to see this team become who they are going to become.

The problems they are having are all in figuring out rolls and there adjustments when people come after them differently. We have to remember this is the blue devils first go around at this. This group of kids have always been a ok team now. People expect them to be great. They are getting everyone else best effort every night. They will adjust.
Being considered a power 5 conference recruit has a lot of baggage. It isn't all glamour. I don't exactly see the critiquing of Loveday's game as bashing. There is a certain level of play that is expected from a player with that pedigree. In SEO that type of player must consistently dominate.

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

blackraider wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:08 pm
GalliaGrad78 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:32 pm
Half Slice wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:27 am Ironton got a first hand look at why Jackson so
I’d say the Slicer is referring to the Gallia posse hanging around on the court griping and looking to challenge people AFTER the game.
You’re kidding, right?

Half Slice
Freshman Team

Post by Half Slice »

Gonna be a little dandy out Centenary way later this season.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:51 pm
svac83 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:43 am As I said on the thread about loveday. Hard to believe people are bashing a kid averaging 20 points 14 rebounds and 6 blocks a game.

Being considered a power 5 conference recruit has a lot of baggage. It isn't all glamour. I don't exactly see the critiquing of Loveday's game as bashing. There is a certain level of play that is expected from a player with that pedigree. In SEO that type of player must consistently dominate.
Well I guess my point would be I think it says more about the talent level in Ohio and elsewhere then his game. And I think if Gallia wanted to Gallia could get him close to 40 a night but they would probably become a much closer to .500 team.

I think you have to go by what you see though when he is on the court when all the kids are high ranked kids and people can’t key on them. There are a lot of kids making splashes this winter as college freshman at big time colleges that are rockets no it. That think he is the real deal.

I myself think he is a reach. Any kid that tall
Until they put on the weight and do it night in night out is a big chance if they will ever live up to there potential.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

One team that sticks out maybe two was Tony Moore / Andre Geiger ! That team had players ! But players got hurt and other drama ! But go way back Price & Noe ! But know guard play !

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Seen OZ teams plus others ! Duke. Burleson maybe with Larry Mitchell& Tommy Spencer !

Return to “Boys Basketball”