Shot Clock in High School

svac83
SE

Re: Shot Clock in High School

Post by svac83 »

The only rule i remember and i am not sure i have it right is. They use to have a hash mark on the side of the court about the end of the benches and you could not have the ball outside that line of 5 seconds at a time or it was a turnover i think that went away when they went from doing the count when the defender guards you so close out there and they count.

george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

I remember that rule But under this rule the refs would motion for the offense to move towards the basket if behind or if defense was behind motion them toward the offense maybe mid 80s

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Truth&fiction wrote:Just a thought, how about if a team is not making an attempt to engage their offense a warning is given next time a T and loss of the ball. Not against a clock but it has to be what fits all teams . 35 to 40 would be fine with me.
A warning for what? having more skilled ball handlers? Both teams have the option to play fast or play slow....if you can't beat the other team at their style, make them change or lose. That's what coaching and strategy is all about. A decent play clock system would cost about $2,000, plus installation cost.

How about in football a rule is put in to penalize a team that keeps running the ball and keeps the clock running? Only 10 rushing attempts are allowed in a half and no more than 2 in a row... :lol: :lol:

ArmChairQB
Varsity

Post by ArmChairQB »

Yes - without a doubt! They have it in college and the NBA. It is badly needed!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I'm 100% for a shot clock.....for those teams that lack fundamentals and shooting skills, there's something called the off season......get out and work on your game. The players that excel do just that.......the ones that don't, don't put in the time. I've seen players who weren't physically gifted yet were good players because they spent time working on their game. As far as cost, I see a lot of football stadiums with a visible play clock, so I don't buy the cost excuse.

I've seen teams play outstanding defense yet not steal the ball all that much.......it's unrealistic to think that a team is going to create a turnover on the majority of possessions.........especially with hand checking being called more in today's basketball.

I'm also in favor of the arc around the basket that college and pro basketball uses......it would make blocking/charging calls much easier for officials, and just maybe fans wouldn't gripe as much.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

At this point I'm on the fence about it.
Most times teams are getting shots off in under 40 seconds so it's not needed. It would take the ability for teams to stall once they get a sizable lead late in games though.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

For fans in Southeast Ohio clamor I got for a shot clock, you might as well say goodbye for a shot at a state title ever again around here! The talent is already behind the rest of the state, and the one thing that gives teams from around here a chance is solid ball handling, selling out on defense, free throw shooting and rebounding. I have been to the state finals the past few seasons, and I have watched basketball around here for a long time. Look at the teams from around here who have won, Barrick, slows it down and forces a slow tempo, that is the best bet to win with kids from around here.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

4thgoal the truth is 35 to 40 second on a shot clock . The fiction was the warning , T and loss of ball . Sorry I did not make it plainer.Already too much to slow the game down . I'm for anything that makes better it better for the kids. I like the discussion though.

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

King Kong you are correct in part of what you said. It isn't the talent that is so far behind as much as the fundamentals i.e ball handling, defense, free throws, rebounding and scoring from 6 feet and closer. To many kids can only dribble with one hand or don't know how to box out or play solid basketball. They were praised at a young age for how great they are and keep throwing up the 3 ball because 2 out of 10 is awesome. Even though the other team went 8 for 10 from 6 feet out and you are down 16-6.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

mad-dogg

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Yes they should. About 30-35 sec

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
NutBusterVC
Waterboy

Post by NutBusterVC »

This would be a stupid idea. Ball control is an important strategy. It lets a lesser team have an avenue to stay close to a better team and maybe pull off an upset. I long for the days when a coach would occasionally use the stall offense. When ran well it is interesting to watch. In todays fast food world people equate more points with a better game. i beg to differ. Something get s lost in strategy. Instead of basketball the shot clock would make games more like pinball.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

a shot clock in ohio high school basketball is long over due.

AT THE RESERVATION
Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

I for one like a team to play to win instead of playing not to lose . When stalling that is what is happening . Good teams should dictate the flow of the game and keep their foes guessing . Good teams change defenses ancd offensive sets . That is what you see in good coaches. That said Ilike the idea of a shot clock . It would give an advantage to some teams mostly the better ones

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

A high-school shot clock would increase repetitions and possessions, but it would change the way that we view decisions and non-decisions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMocSkMcRMY
An interesting perspective on a shot clock for HS.
Last edited by Tri-StateYouthSports on Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by svac83 »

No shot clock is a great equalizer. But teams that outright stall rarely win.. Now a lot of teams slow the game down and make every possession valuable is a great equalizer.. there has to be some happy medium.. gallia academy played at meigs earlier this year with like 5:30 to go in game gallia went to a nothing but layup offense some possessions last 5 seconds one was way over a minute.. they should not be forced to shoot.. if you can't take it from me.. foul me you will eventually get the ball back.. a good team should be able to either beat you at your style of play or force you to play there's.. if they put a clock in it would not be the worst thing but it also takes out another facet of the game

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

svac83 wrote:takes out another facet of the game
This is the only thing that should be considered for SCHOLASTIC athletics, what is best for the STUDENT athletes and not the entertainment of, overweight, balding , never have beens!

Take away an option, and what you will end up with is kids running up and down, turning the ball over, and forcing shots!

Hell, you might as well put in a 4 point line, and a spot from the corner, where if you shoot full court from this spot and make it, you automatically win, no matter the score or time!

This is a game for high school kids, let it be.

Swampfox
Freshman Team

Post by Swampfox »

As for the Phil Ford team, I hated the four corners. If they were a number team they should have the talent to beat a Virginia team without stalling. Phil Ford didn't make it in the pros, maybe because it took him more than 24 seconds to think. A shot clock get the athletes ready for the next level. You don't get there by standing at half court holding the ball.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

1% go on to the next level, so you think a rule should be in place that 99% of kids won't have to ever worry about because you won't be entertained? Please do basketball fans a favor and start liking soccer!

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Not every kid in high school is going to go to the next level.. as a matter of fact.. 95% aren't going to the next level.. so the game should be good for them all.. And I think it is a good life lesson you are not always going to be most talented or most physically gifted but there are still ways you can compete and beat the competition.. just like in life a lot of times the biggest and best friends but sometimes the person with best idea or pitch carves out a notch and wins...

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Swampfox wrote:As for the Phil Ford team, I hated the four corners. If they were a number team they should have the talent to beat a Virginia team without stalling. Phil Ford didn't make it in the pros, maybe because it took him more than 24 seconds to think. A shot clock get the athletes ready for the next level. You don't get there by standing at half court holding the ball.
A shot clock doesn't get any kids ready for the next level............
You play 8 minute quarters in high school, you're not going to gain much from a shot clock.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!

Return to “Boys Basketball”