2024 Wheelersburg Pirates

Tri_State79
Varsity

Re: 2024 Wheelersburg Pirates

Post by Tri_State79 »

fbnut wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:43 pm
Bad Snap wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:52 pm Why does this matter. Ironton has always had more D1 talent than Burg. Burg wins with a program. Ironton wins with talent. Most of the time they are good games. So Ironton should win.
Good take
Ironton recruits talent because they have to in order to be successful. Burg has built a program to make up for not having D1 kids in order to be successful. In the end burgs way is more sustainable long term
That sustainability must be why burg has only made it outta the region something like 3 times in the last 30 years or so. 😭

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

Bad Snap wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:52 pm Why does this matter. Ironton has always had more D1 talent than Burg. Burg wins with a program. Ironton wins with talent. Most of the time they are good games. So Ironton should win.
Good take
Ironton recruits talent because they have to in order to be successful. Burg has built a program to make up for not having D1 kids in order to be successful. In the end burgs way is more sustainable long term
Boy they sure have sustained Ironton & Prep the last couple seasons. lol

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State79 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:39 pm
Good take
That sustainability must be why burg has only made it outta the region something like 3 times in the last 30 years or so. 😭
And a state title in 2017. You keep forgetting that, although that’s understandable. IHS hasn’t won a title for so long, you probably are unaware that such a thing exists.

SiderSammy
Riding the Bench

Post by SiderSammy »

RBH23 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:04 pm

Good take
And a state title in 2017. You keep forgetting that, although that’s understandable. IHS hasn’t won a title for so long, you probably are unaware that such a thing exists.
Ouch lol. You put Woodward at Ironton the last 5 years and he has at least 2 State titles!

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

SiderSammy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:44 pm

Ouch lol. You put Woodward at Ironton the last 5 years and he has at least 2 State titles!
absolutely

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg still has track, baseball, and softball at the regional levels. After that, we will be looking at another solid Burg year. Will be really good offensively, hearing good things about filling the losses at defense.

TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

wobycat wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:37 pm Burg still has track, baseball, and softball at the regional levels. After that, we will be looking at another solid Burg year. Will be really good offensively, hearing good things about filling the losses at defense.
It will be interesting to see how the offense runs this year. Good size line and have 2-3 solid backs. I know they lost a lot on defense. Especially def line. They will have some holes to fill but Burg usually does pretty good job of plugging players in to fill positions.

gobucs20
JV Team

Post by gobucs20 »

Good take
And they won that title with no Kirtland. No marion local. No Coldwater etc. Very easy path.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

gobucs20 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:31 pm

And they won that title with no Kirtland. No marion local. No Coldwater etc. Very easy path.
Ironton had the same path over the past two years. How did that work out for them?

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

BURG is 2 -0 in state title games. What is the record in those games for the mid West allstars?

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

RBH23 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:09 pm

Ironton had the same path over the past two years. How did that work out for them?
😂

TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

Any news, opinions, predictions, etc… on 2024 Wheelersburg Pirates? Just looking to talk 2024 Wheelersburg football. Don’t care about transfers, Ironton(utmost respect for them, just wrong thread), past state championships, number of regional appearances in the last 50 years, or the other typical arguments🙄

2024 Wheelersburg Football…

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TomUnessa wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:53 pm Any news, opinions, predictions, etc… on 2024 Wheelersburg Pirates? Just looking to talk 2024 Wheelersburg football. Don’t care about transfers, Ironton(utmost respect for them, just wrong thread), past state championships, number of regional appearances in the last 50 years, or the other typical arguments🙄

Line is going to be massive. They will look like college kids out there. Hopefully they can work hard and be effective but they will be huge.

Skilled kids are really good.

Their biggest concern in my opinion will be inside linebackers. Not sure who will play there. Other than that, I like the other positions.

TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

wobycat wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:25 pm
TomUnessa wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:53 pm Any news, opinions, predictions, etc… on 2024 Wheelersburg Pirates? Just looking to talk 2024 Wheelersburg football. Don’t care about transfers, Ironton(utmost respect for them, just wrong thread), past state championships, number of regional appearances in the last 50 years, or the other typical arguments🙄

Line is going to be massive. They will look like college kids out there. Hopefully they can work hard and be effective but they will be huge.

Their biggest concern in my opinion will be inside linebackers. Not sure who will play there. Other than that, I like the other positions.
Ok. They definitely have a lot of replace on defense-Risner, Willoughby, Maxie, Darling, Salyers, Warren, Lattimore, Estep were all really solid players. If I left anyone out my apologies.They will be missed for sure.
They have a lot of players coming back that got some playing time on defense-Willis, Mowery, Brown, and Evans. I’m expecting good things from players like Emnett, Stanley and the sophomore Hall.
Offense they have some tough runners and some speed. Gonna depend on how improved the Qb is, how the line holds up, and of course-playcalling

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TomUnessa wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:36 pm

Ok. They definitely have a lot of replace on defense-Risner, Willoughby, Maxie, Darling, Salyers, Warren, Lattimore, Estep were all really solid players. If I left anyone out my apologies.They will be missed for sure.
They have a lot of players coming back that got some playing time on defense-Willis, Mowery, Brown, and Evans. I’m expecting good things from players like Emnett, Stanley and the sophomore Hall.
Offense they have some tough runners and some speed. Gonna depend on how improved the Qb is, how the line holds up, and of course-playcalling
May on d line was pretty good and Watkins was in on corner quite a bit too. They all definitely played very solid.

But I think the inside linebackers will be the key this year. I think they can replace everyone else with another solid group.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

TomUnessa wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:36 pm

Heard the coaches believe ‘24 team will be better than last year’s team based on what Woby has covered.

This team should go 8-2 with a couple playoff wins. Anything less than that would be a disappointment.

I’m curious to see if the play-calling improves because that’s been a problem for a number of years now. Especially in the red zone where Burg is a turnover machine; would love to know how we stack up to other teams. That said, we need to commit to the run and not try to air it out against the likes of IHS and HP. Won’t beat them slinging the ball all over the field.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

7-3 to 6-4
Losses to ironton, Jackson and prep because that’s who the burg is now
The cinci team is good and certainly could be another loss. SOC champs and a loss in playoffs when they play ironton or prep. Same season as usual

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

fbnut wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:04 pm 7-3 to 6-4
The cinci team is good and certainly could be another loss. SOC champs and a loss in playoffs when they play ironton or prep. Same season as usual
If Burg goes 6-4, heads need to roll. That is completely unacceptable with the talent they have coming back.

If the team losses four games total this year, I think the coaching staff needs to be put on notice with high expectations in 2025.

Historically Burg has been known as a team that doesn’t beat itself and can pull an upset. Burg of the past few years has become a team that beats itself and can’t pull off an upset.

We are on a trend of losses not seen since before Miller took over the program. Enough of the four loss seasons.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Spot-on. In hindsight, Burg putting Harvest Prep on the regular season schedule was a mistake. Burg not even competitive with them last 2 games (like 60 yards of offense and 10 passing yards in playoff game). Could maybe see them beating Jackson at home, but I got them losing to Ironton and at McNick.

7-3 or 6-4 is nothing to be embarrassed about with a tough non-conference schedule, but also not meeting the expectations of some of their fanbase.

RBH: from people I’ve talked to, this staff leaves when they want to leave. The 2017 state championship earned them that right in the eyes of the people who make those decisions.*

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

RBH23 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:59 pm
If Burg goes 6-4, heads need to roll. That is completely unacceptable with the talent they have coming back.

If the team losses four games total this year, I think the coaching staff needs to be put on notice with high expectations in 2025.

Historically Burg has been known as a team that doesn’t beat itself and can pull an upset. Burg of the past few years has become a team that beats itself and can’t pull off an upset.

We are on a trend of losses not seen since before Miller took over the program. Enough of the four loss seasons.
I’m not commenting on staff but I agree that the burg can compete but can’t beat good football teams in recent times. You are correct they used to find ways to win those games but in-recent yrs have found ways to lose those games. They were beat before they ever walked on the field last yr against prep in the playoff game. That effort was embarrassing. The last few yrs in big games against talented teams the offense has been terrible

Return to “Football”