November 3, 2023 Wheelersburg 34 - 0 Portsmouth

FIDO
S

Re: Trojans vs the Burg

Post by FIDO »

TrojanTru wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:35 pm
FIDO wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:23 pm Burg has won more games they were supposed to lose, on paper, than any other competitive team in the region.

Be careful for what you wish for.......it hasn't been that long that a heavily favored team lost to the Pirates in the playoffs.
Only thing is I don’t think we’re heavily favored.
I think the game will be much closer than predicted. I really want Portsmouth to pull off the Cinderella story Friday night.
I dont think the Trojans are favored at all. But in any Friday night anything is possible. There will be tons of energy on the hill and one hell of an atmosphere. I was weighing in on the Burg doesn't stand a chance if they beat the Trojans this week. I should have quoted. My bad.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Points could very well be hard to come by for both teams…Portsmouth gave up a lot of points to Fairland but the dragons are primarily a passing attack…Trojans held ironton to two offensive TD’s in week 10…should be a dandy. Can’t wait to find out for sure!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

PTrojan59 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:20 pm
VetteMan wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:17 pm
VetteMan wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:11 pm

I'll ask one more question. I'm not trying to throw shade at either program, but no doubt football would be the biggest money maker probably of all the other sports combined. Was football not being as competitive as some one hope, or was there another reason as to why they stopped playing each other ?
Meant to say "as some would hope".
I do not know the actual reason this game quit being played. Now could it be because it was severely one sided in favor of the Burg? Sure, the last Portsmouth win came back in 2007. Woodward is 9-0 against Portsmouth. Could it have something to do with Portsmouth feeling some type of way about Burg gaining kids they lost? Possibly, I only know of 2 Lowery & Lattimore, suppose there could be more. Myself having played in this rivalry I loved Burg week, even being on the losing side of things. Gate & atmosphere were always top notch. For Portsmouth you may have been taking a beat down some years but playing up in competition only helps. I feel like playing these good Ironton teams has helped not only Portsmouth but the whole OVC. I hope this game gets put back on the schedule. Won’t be next year but they could possibly meet in the playoffs next year?
Thank you. I hope for all the High School football fans in Scioto County, that someday these two schools will decide to start playing each other again.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

522Pirate wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:17 pm Points could very well be hard to come by for both teams…Portsmouth gave up a lot of points to Fairland but the dragons are primarily a passing attack…Trojans held ironton to two offensive TD’s in week 10…should be a dandy. Can’t wait to find out for sure!
The Trojans are not world beaters but they keep their game plan fairly simple on both sides of the ball, they execute fairly well, and they play hard. I think this is gonna be a heck of a ballgame.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Tri_State790 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:52 pm
522Pirate wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:17 pm Points could very well be hard to come by for both teams…Portsmouth gave up a lot of points to Fairland but the dragons are primarily a passing attack…Trojans held ironton to two offensive TD’s in week 10…should be a dandy. Can’t wait to find out for sure!
The Trojans are not world beaters but they keep their game plan fairly simple on both sides of the ball, they execute fairly well, and they play hard. I think this is gonna be a heck of a ballgame.
Agreed…admittedly I’ve only watched a couple Trojan games but from what I’ve seen Burg has the better offense (since committing to the run) and probably the more consistently good defense but Portsmouth should definitely not be taken lightly.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

522Pirate wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:06 pm
Tri_State790 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:52 pm
Agreed…admittedly I’ve only watched a couple Trojan games but from what I’ve seen Burg has the better offense (since committing to the run) and probably the more consistently good defense but Portsmouth should definitely not be taken lightly.

I think the Trojans more conservative approach could pay off. Burgs offense is designed and prone to take more risks and potentially make more mistakes. And all the pressure is on burg Friday night. Mix in this old rivalry with a 2nd round playoff game man P Town has a ton to get up & be really inspired and motivated about. Burg should be very careful in this one. Momentum swings could be HUGE.

CrackBack46
Freshman Team

Post by CrackBack46 »

What games are those? You’ve lost 3 games burg fans thought they would win… Ironton, Jackson, Prep

The only game I can even think burg pulled out that most football fans thought it could be a loss was Archbishop McNicholas…

FIDO wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:23 pm Burg has won more games they were supposed to lose, on paper, than any other competitive team in the region.

Be careful for what you wish for.......it hasn't been that long that a heavily favored team lost to the Pirates in the playoffs.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Jussmypinion wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:13 pm
RealTrojan wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:00 pm From what I've been told, it was actually the other way around, Burg dropped Portsmouth. With hopes of scheduling other schools for playoff points.
That's the story my family and I were told also, basically said it was a waste of time playing us.
Why would Portsmouth drop them the year of a host game and miss out on thousands of dollars? One thing about Scioto Co. if someone sprouts off negatively about PHS, the whole county jumps on board, but it's crickets whe PHS wins or does something positive. Nothing much has changed, I see.
Nope, 100% Portsmouth dropped Burg. Don’t know the reason, but this pissed off the Burg admin and left them scrambling to find a replacement game.

Although I would like to see Portsmouth back on the schedule, some in Burg may not. Dropping Burg with little heads-up was not well received.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

CrackBack46 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:18 pm What games are those? You’ve lost 3 games burg fans thought they would win… Ironton, Jackson, Prep

The only game I can even think burg pulled out that most football fans thought it could be a loss was Archbishop McNicholas…

Agree. Burg has looked better running through the SOC but still have not proven they can beat the top teams in the region.

My comments on this site were very harsh towards the Burg coaches, but I give them credit for finding an offensive identity and cleaning up the mistakes. Team has improved since the beginning of the year. Now we will see how much. Can the coaches pull off some big wins?

TrojanTru
Waterboy

Post by TrojanTru »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:32 pm
Nope, 100% Portsmouth dropped Burg. Don’t know the reason, but this pissed off the Burg admin and left them scrambling to find a replacement game.

Although I would like to see Portsmouth back on the schedule, some in Burg may not. Dropping Burg with little heads-up was not well received.
Someone’s lying because I went to a Portsmouth admin and was told exactly what the others stated. Woodard hadn’t lost to PHS, said it wasn’t beneficial to Burg to continue playing Portsmouth, because they gained little to no points doing so. Even had Burg football players telling Portsmouth players the same thing.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

TrojanTru wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:49 pm

Someone’s lying because I went to a Portsmouth admin and was told exactly what the others stated. Woodard hadn’t lost to PHS, said it wasn’t beneficial to Burg to continue playing Portsmouth, because they gained little to no points doing so. Even had Burg football players telling Portsmouth players the same thing.
The person who told me would 100% know. He would be directly involved in any decisions like this.

Also, if Burg was dropping Portsmouth in order to get better competition, they wouldn’t have picked up Heath to replace them.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

This site debating this topic when it happened. No one from Portsmouth claimed Burg dropped the game. In fact, many from Portsmouth stated it was Portsmouth that decided this. Some also claimed it was over the Portsmouth QB that transferred to Burg. That’s interesting since Burg has lost athletes to Portsmouth as well but never dropped Portsmouth in any sport.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4422

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

RBH23 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:24 am

This site debating this topic when it happened. No one from Portsmouth claimed Burg dropped the game. In fact, many from Portsmouth stated it was Portsmouth that decided this. Some also claimed it was over the Portsmouth QB that transferred to Burg. That’s interesting since Burg has lost athletes to Portsmouth as well but never dropped Portsmouth in any sport.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4422
Who has left Burg for Portsmouth other than the Maxie kid 2 years ago? Lol

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:29 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4422
His name escapes me, but he transferred same year as Maxie. Played football and basketball for Burg (would have started at Burg in both) but only played basketball at Portsmouth.

Two in one year, yet Burg didn’t drop Portsmouth in basketball.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

RBH23 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:38 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4422
His name escapes me, but he transferred same year as Maxie. Played football and basketball for Burg (would have started at Burg in both) but only played basketball at Portsmouth.

That’s because they take Portsmouth basketball players too. Andrew Bendolph was once a Pirate lol

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4422

Sanderlin was the other kid…

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:43 am

That’s because they take Portsmouth basketball players too. Andrew Bendolph was once a Pirate lol
Didn’t he play one year at Burg and then transfer back?

Back to the topic at hand, Portsmouth dropped Burg in football. Don’t know the reason. Some claim because of the transfer. Others claim Portsmouth got tired of getting beat. Regardless Portsmouth made the decision.

RealTrojan
Waterboy

Post by RealTrojan »

Oh well. Who cares now. Hoping for a good game so BOTH teams don't have a choice but to make this game happen from here on out!

CoachRock06
Waterboy

Post by CoachRock06 »

Burg wins a close one.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4422

Kenny Sanderlin and his little brother left Burg for phs

Burg grad 85

Return to “Football”