Jeff Lisath Is The Portsmouth Trojans Coach

Prime Time
All State

Re: Jeff Lisath Is The Portsmouth Trojans Coach

Post by Prime Time »

The best move in Portsmouth Trojan history basketball history. Jeff Lisath is a teacher in life plus basketball. Win, Win for kids and Portsmouth High School. Level of competiton will rise 100 fold in days and years ahead. Hes a leader, role model, on top of being a super basketball mind and Coach.Plus hes one of the Trojan icons and Hall of Famer. Been a winner from day one at every stop hes been at. Good Luck Coach Lisath!

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:11 pm Who is Thomas? What are the other rumors? Any of these kids also play football?
Connie Thomas. Family has a lot of ties at Portsmouth, I believe his great uncle or cousin Scott Taylor played on the 78' State Championship team with Jeff, his cousin Jason "JT" Taylor played on the 88' state championship team and is other cousin Kyle Taylor( his son played at Nebraska) was another trojan great. Not sure if Kyle was on any state teams but he was a great basketball player. I think he played sparingly last season as a Freshman but I've been hearing good things about the sophomore to be. Currently. he is enrolled at another school but like someone else mentioned, with Jeff back maybe kids will come back.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

This post has been deleted by request. See explanation below.
Last edited by trojandave on Fri May 26, 2023 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Congratulations to Coach Jeff Lisath on 2022-23 OHSAA Sportsmanship,Ethics and Integrity Winner in Boys Basketball in Ohio(Dayton Northridge). Portsmouth should feel proud to have Coach Lisath at helm of the Trojans. I would definitely wanthaving such a high standard person guiding my son or daughter. Portsmouth hit the jackpot with this hire.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations, Jeff, on that prestigious award. I'm quite sure those same attributes that you have shown throughout your career will carry over as the coach of the Trojans. Like Prime Time said, Portsmouth hit the jackpot with this hire.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

I deleted the above post due to rumblings about "outsiders" coming to open gym with the tag of being recruited by Coach Lisath. These rumblings are COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED. I have been to every open gym, and while there has been some players participating though not affiliated with Portsmouth HS, these individuals have participated on their own volition with Coach Lisath having ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with it.

In no way, shape, or form has Coach Lisath compromised his integrity because of a very few kids who want to come to PHS OPEN GYM on their own desires. Coach Lisath has been coaching for nearly 30 years, and just recently received the OHSAA award for Sportsmanship, Ethics, and Integrity.

Coach Lisath conducts his basketball business in total compliance with the rules and regulations set by the Ohio High School Athletic Association. Anybody who thinks otherwise is either misinformed or is promoting an unnecessary, hurtful, or personal agenda against Coach Lisath.

From this point forward I will make no mention of any "outsiders" who may come to open gym or participate in any Portsmouth High School affiliated basketball camp, shootout, or other activity. For anybody who wants information from me about "outsiders" and any involvement they have with PHS basketball, those requests will be denied.

It's a shame that it has to come to this, but it's best to keep the harmless snowflake from becoming a glacier.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

trojandave wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:11 am I deleted the above post due to rumblings about "outsiders" coming to open gym with the tag of being recruited by Coach Lisath. These rumblings are COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED. I have been to every open gym, and while there has been some players participating though not affiliated with Portsmouth HS, these individuals have participated on their own volition with Coach Lisath having ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with it.

In no way, shape, or form has Coach Lisath compromised his integrity because of a very few kids who want to come to PHS OPEN GYM on their own desires. Coach Lisath has been coaching for nearly 30 years, and just recently received the OHSAA award for Sportsmanship, Ethics, and Integrity.

Coach Lisath conducts his basketball business in total compliance with the rules and regulations set by the Ohio High School Athletic Association. Anybody who thinks otherwise is either misinformed or is promoting an unnecessary, hurtful, or personal agenda against Coach Lisath.

From this point forward I will make no mention of any "outsiders" who may come to open gym or participate in any Portsmouth High School affiliated basketball camp, shootout, or other activity. For anybody who wants information from me about "outsiders" and any involvement they have with PHS basketball, those requests will be denied.

It's a shame that it has to come to this, but it's best to keep the harmless snowflake from becoming a glacier.
Good post Dave, some of that is my fault. Just being a curious Trojan basketball fan I was excited to know if any of these kids not from PHS might have interest in playing for coach Lisath. That said you’re completely right, this day and age people from other school are looking for any advantage possible including making something into nothing. I think everyone knows coach Lisath is a standup guy. Won’t be anymore questions like this until summer ball starts and then maybe we can get a list of summer roster participants.

TrojanTru
Waterboy

Post by TrojanTru »

trojandave wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:11 am I deleted the above post due to rumblings about "outsiders" coming to open gym with the tag of being recruited by Coach Lisath. These rumblings are COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED. I have been to every open gym, and while there has been some players participating though not affiliated with Portsmouth HS, these individuals have participated on their own volition with Coach Lisath having ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with it.

Shameful that anyone would attribute kids wanting to be in the presence of greatness, even if it is just for open gym purposes, to Coach recruiting them. Jeff Lisath has proven to be successful on every stop along his coaching journey. As you’ve stated he was awarded an integrity award from OHSAA which means in his 30+ years of coaching, he’s done it correctly and by the book, no cheating, or recruiting needed. If I still had a child playing, I’d be the first in line to have him as my child’s mentor. He’s coached athletes that went on to play in the NBA, NFL as well as MLB. You have to know being the man he is, he still has some connections and if playing at the next level is your goal, Coach Lisath is the man to get you there. Also handclap for AD and the Trojan baseball team, he’s turned that program in the right direction.
PHS should emulate SOMC, and make “Good Things Are Happening Here” the new motto!

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Whoa...no worries here. Open Gym is open to any kid in grades 7-12. I don't care what school you go to...just come in and play "Get better and make us better" As far as recruiting I don't cheat...but whatever. I'm not too concerned about rumors and hearsay. Kids come and go...which is out of my control. I just love 'em and teach them while I have them under my supervision. Kids will always get a handshake, hug, high five, welcome, or a conversation no matter who they are or what school they attend! That's just me! I shared a story the other day about how the great Wheelersburg team in 1977-1978 used to invite my teammates and me to come and play at their open gyms during the summer and how all of the top players in Scioto County used to come to Portsmouth and participate in our open gyms and summer league. Always highly competitive and it made us all better. Coaching at Piketon was the same, kids from other school districts were just looking for some tough competition to play against. I'm trying to rebuild that same culture because I want our kids to play against the best. "To be the best you have to beat the best" Spread that word and let all of SE district kids get better together!

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Quality individual.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Calvin
Freshman Team

Post by Calvin »

Jeff Lisath wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:10 pm Whoa...no worries here. Open Gym is open to any kid in grades 7-12. I don't care what school you go to...just come in and play "Get better and make us better" As far as recruiting I don't cheat...but whatever. I'm not too concerned about rumors and hearsay. Kids come and go...which is out of my control. I just love 'em and teach them while I have them under my supervision. Kids will always get a handshake, hug, high five, welcome, or a conversation no matter who they are or what school they attend! That's just me! I shared a story the other day about how the great Wheelersburg team in 1977-1978 used to invite my teammates and me to come and play at their open gyms during the summer and how all of the top players in Scioto County used to come to Portsmouth and participate in our open gyms and summer league. Always highly competitive and it made us all better. Coaching at Piketon was the same, kids from other school districts were just looking for some tough competition to play against. I'm trying to rebuild that same culture because I want our kids to play against the best. "To be the best you have to beat the best" Spread that word and let all of SE district kids get better together!
So, what schools are these other players coming from? Can the coaches come too? Or just the players? How about parents?

Celebrating wins over the most hated.
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Whoever, wherever they come from, it will be the best decision they ever made in high school!

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

NO WAY!
PHS actually makes a smart hire, homerun for the Trojans. Didn't even realize he was a candidate.

Jussmypinion
Waterboy

Post by Jussmypinion »

Prime Time wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:05 pm Whoever, wherever they come from, it will be the best decision they ever made in high school!
That sounds about right! If you build it, they will come.
I seen Mark Aeh just posted he's coming back to help out, even he knows it's about to be a great ride.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Jussmypinion wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:27 pm
Prime Time wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:05 pm Whoever, wherever they come from, it will be the best decision they ever made in high school!
That sounds about right! If you build it, they will come.
I seen Mark Aeh just posted he's coming back to help out, even he knows it's about to be a great ride.
Good to hear cousin Mark is coming back to help out. He is definitely a True Trojan fan.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Trojan Camp has been rescheduled with the 1st session being on Thursday, June 1st from 3:00--5:00 PM. The reason for the change is because the PHS baseball team is having their post season awards dinner at the baseball field. Since there are several baseball players who also play hoops, the time change was to accommodate all those who also play basketball.

Also, there will be a "Welcome Home Jeff" social event at Bannon Park on Friday, June 23, with it being tentatively scheduled from 4:00 to 9:00 PM. Let's get a huge crowd to join in and honor a Trojan legend who has come home to lead our Trojans to the Promised Land.

So much energy in the community with the hire of Coach Lisath.

There have been some coaches who are being retained from Coach Collins tenure. That includes Eugene, his son Lenny, Aaron Smith, and Derrick Mosley. The rest of the coaching staff still needs board approval, but I don't anticipate any problems with their confirmation. Should find out soon who fits where.

Good to have Mark Aeh involved with Trojan basketball. Mark does a lot of things that may go unnoticed to some.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Going down that wonderful "memory lane" for a moment, talking with Jeff yesterday about his game tying basket vs. Wheelersburg in the 1978 sectional at the old Valley HS. Jeff's shot was a bank shot in which he had taken the ball the length of the court after the Pirates missed the front end of a 1 and 1 with just 6 seconds to play. There was no 3 point shot back then, so just 1 made FT by the Burg and there would be no state championship. As fate would have it, Jeff's shot tied the game, and the Trojans proceeded to win in OT 54-52, the same score that Wheelersburg had won by in the last regular season game at PHS. Jeff returned from an ankle injury just in time for the tourney game against the Burg. He had missed the last 6 or 7 games due to that injury.

That Pirate team was one of the Burg's best, featuring 6-7 Jack Miller, 6-5 Rod Spradlin, and 6-3 Jeff Meadows as starters. Not sure if Scott Gray was on that team. Can't remember the other 2 starters.

Portsmouth was so close to being beaten in the sectional, but as fate would have it, the Trojans would go on to win the Class AA title in their 1st year of that classification. Jeff would end up the leading scorer all time for the Trojans in state tournament play with 40 points in the 2 Final 4 games, including 22 in the state championship game, which is a PHS record. His teammate, Craig Tubbs, scored 39 points total. Craig led the team in scoring in the semifinal game vs. Ottawa-Glandorf with 21 points.

The highest point total by a Trojan in any state tournament game was 24 by David Barnes in the 1988 semifinal vs. Mansfield Malabar.

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

trojandave wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:33 pm Going down that wonderful "memory lane" for a moment, talking with Jeff yesterday about his game tying basket vs. Wheelersburg in the 1978 sectional at the old Valley HS. Jeff's shot was a bank shot in which he had taken the ball the length of the court after the Pirates missed the front end of a 1 and 1 with just 6 seconds to play. There was no 3 point shot back then, so just 1 made FT by the Burg and there would be no state championship. As fate would have it, Jeff's shot tied the game, and the Trojans proceeded to win in OT 54-52, the same score that Wheelersburg had won by in the last regular season game at PHS. Jeff returned from an ankle injury just in time for the tourney game against the Burg. He had missed the last 6 or 7 games due to that injury.

That Pirate team was one of the Burg's best, featuring 6-7 Jack Miller, 6-5 Rod Spradlin, and 6-3 Jeff Meadows as starters. Not sure if Scott Gray was on that team. Can't remember the other 2 starters.

Portsmouth was so close to being beaten in the sectional, but as fate would have it, the Trojans would go on to win the Class AA title in their 1st year of that classification. Jeff would end up the leading scorer all time for the Trojans in state tournament play with 40 points in the 2 Final 4 games, including 22 in the state championship game, which is a PHS record. His teammate, Craig Tubbs, scored 39 points total. Craig led the team in scoring in the semifinal game vs. Ottawa-Glandorf with 21 points.

The highest point total by a Trojan in any state tournament game was 24 by David Barnes in the 1988 semifinal vs. Mansfield Malabar.
Craig Tubbs was awesome to watch. Even as a young kid I remember hearing people talk about him.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

I’ll say it again. The best hire and thing to happen at Portsmouth High School in many, many moons. I believe Portsmouth, very quickly will again become a force in basketball and will again call the Convo in Athens , there home away from home! Court street up here in Athens will bleed red and blue come March again. Lou, announcer at convo will begin saying and Now the Portsmouth Trojans your regional Champs! I 100 percent think like Ice, to be the best, you got to play the best.I also hope Chillicothe is added to future schedules. I know Portsmouth is in OVC but there non league schedule should greatly improve. Playing Dayton, Cincinnati, Columbus teams will help build a competitive atomsphere and help build confidence in the players at Portsmouth. If you build it they will come!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

PrimeTime: The schedule for this coming season is pretty much set, but look for a serious upgrade starting with the following year. Jeff has indicated that Chillicothe will be back on the Trojans' schedule. Look for big city schools to be on the slate also. There's room for 8 non-conference games, so there's plenty of opportunities to play outside the SE district.

I, like you and so many other Trojan fans, long to see PHS at the Convo and getting to the Final 4. It looked bleak from 2003-2009 with 7 straight losing seasons, but just 2 years later Coach Collins took us to back to back Final 4's. It can happen again, no matter how many doomsayers are out there.

Return to “Boys Basketball”