Belpre football

enigmaax
All State

Re: Belpre football

Post by enigmaax »

chrishilton91 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:09 am
chrishilton91 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:50 pm Just an Fyi Welch’s record at frontier during the late 80s was 3-27 and 4-6 at Warren according to four seasons football.com
Someone told me he coached at Eastern so looked up and he was 5-15 there. So overall he is 12-48.

Not a Hater! My problem is the hiring process. As stated earlier (if he is the guy), I said day one the AD would hire someone associated with Warren. And I am sure the other candidates would have been a better fit.
Also one 4-6 season at Shenandoah in the 90s.

What are the qualifications of other candidates that makes you think they’d be a better fit?

I do think it should be pointed out that the records posted were accumulated a number of years ago. There is a lot to be said for being involved in the Fort Frye program recently, where it makes a lot of sense that someone would have learned a lot and may be ready to jump back in. Especially at Belpre where I just can’t imagine that there are highly accomplished coaches knocking down the door to get the job.

jsteth
Waterboy

Post by jsteth »

baseball16 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:28 pm There was a team in the area back in the day that went 10-0 , made the playoffs. The following year the team went 3-7 and missed the playoffs. They ran the exact same offense and Defense in both years. My question is this, Why?? Point being: It's more about the JIMMY and the JOEs compared to the Xs and O s
Coach that can't see past the end of his nose?? there are numerous explanations for this beyond simply blaming kids

jsteth
Waterboy

Post by jsteth »

enigmaax wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:10 pm
chrishilton91 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:09 am
chrishilton91 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:50 pm Just an Fyi Welch’s record at frontier during the late 80s was 3-27 and 4-6 at Warren according to four seasons football.com
Someone told me he coached at Eastern so looked up and he was 5-15 there. So overall he is 12-48.

Not a Hater! My problem is the hiring process. As stated earlier (if he is the guy), I said day one the AD would hire someone associated with Warren. And I am sure the other candidates would have been a better fit.
Also one 4-6 season at Shenandoah in the 90s.

What are the qualifications of other candidates that makes you think they’d be a better fit?

I do think it should be pointed out that the records posted were accumulated a number of years ago. There is a lot to be said for being involved in the Fort Frye program recently, where it makes a lot of sense that someone would have learned a lot and may be ready to jump back in. Especially at Belpre where I just can’t imagine that there are highly accomplished coaches knocking down the door to get the job.
change "would" to "could" and I would agree. Hopefully the answer is "did" learn a lot.

Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

So this guy has been at River, eastern, Parkersburg High, frontier, Shenandoah, fort Frye and Warren?

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

Fletchlives wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:52 pm So this guy has been at River, eastern, Parkersburg High, frontier, Shenandoah, fort Frye and Warren?
And had a losing record everywhere he’s been. Definitely not a “proven winner” like they said they were going to hire. 😮

OldskoolWarrior
Riding the Bench

Post by OldskoolWarrior »

Pat wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:25 am
Fletchlives wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:52 pm So this guy has been at River, eastern, Parkersburg High, frontier, Shenandoah, fort Frye and Warren?
And had a losing record everywhere he’s been. Definitely not a “proven winner” like they said they were going to hire. 😮
There aren’t a lot of “proven winners” out there just walking the streets. They probably like winning wherever they are currently coaching. Better take what you can get and build a supporting staff. There are guys out there, just takes the right combination to succeed.

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

OldskoolWarrior wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:57 am
There aren’t a lot of “proven winners” out there just walking the streets. They probably like winning wherever they are currently coaching. Better take what you can get and build a supporting staff. There are guys out there, just takes the right combination to succeed.
There were applicants for the first posting with as good as or better credentials. So, my question is why reopen it and then go after a guy that didn’t even apply for the job and has been less than mediocre? If you’re going to do that why not go after someone who has proven they can build a successful program? If you want mediocre or worse hire one of the mediocre applicants and if you want better than mediocre hire one of them accordingly. Makes absolutely no sense what they did but it’s a clear indication of why they have one of it not the worst program in the state.

Warriors321
Freshman Team

Post by Warriors321 »

Pat wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:17 pm

There were applicants for the first posting with as good as or better credentials. So, my question is why reopen it and then go after a guy that didn’t even apply for the job and has been less than mediocre? If you’re going to do that why not go after someone who has proven they can build a successful program? If you want mediocre or worse hire one of the mediocre applicants and if you want better than mediocre hire one of them accordingly. Makes absolutely no sense what they did but it’s a clear indication of why they have one of it not the worst program in the state.
Who were the applicants you are speaking on?

chrishilton91
Freshman Team

Post by chrishilton91 »

When was it reposted? How do you know he didn't apply? I live here and never heard any of that! Where do you live?

It was posted on Belpre's website then after they interviewed everyone, they posted it on OHSAA.

And if your statement is true, then it irritates me even more. Because I heard of someone one who was asked by the AD to interview and wasn't offered the job.

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

chrishilton91 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:11 pm

When was it reposted? How do you know he didn't apply? I live here and never heard any of that! Where do you live?

It was posted on Belpre's website then after they interviewed everyone, they posted it on OHSAA.

And if your statement is true, then it irritates me even more. Because I heard of someone one who was asked by the AD to interview and wasn't offered the job.
Well if he’s the guy they wanted and he applied why didn’t they just hire him instead of reposting it on OHSAA?

chrishilton91
Freshman Team

Post by chrishilton91 »

Pat wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:36 pm

Well if he’s the guy they wanted and he applied why didn’t they just hire him instead of reposting it on OHSAA?
So you’re just assuming. And based on your other posts you don’t have a dog in the fight. So why do you care? It’s our kids we And we pay taxes in this town and have a right to be concerned. We want a coach that will build a quality program not a buddy of the AD.

TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

All Washington County residents pay property taxes which accounts for a big part of the budget for all six of the local school districts within Washington County. Rivalry games aside, we should be rooting for every Washington Country program to succeed. Gives this small area of the state the badly needed credibility in the minds of some. Take pride in your section, take pride in your district, take pride in your region, and take pride in your state.

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

chrishilton91 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:22 pm

So you’re just assuming. And based on your other posts you don’t have a dog in the fight. So why do you care? It’s our kids we And we pay taxes in this town and have a right to be concerned. We want a coach that will build a quality program not a buddy of the AD.
I noticed you didn’t dispute anything I said. That tells me that you either know I’m right or you aren’t very close to the situation and just hoping I’m wrong. Believe me I am giving accurate information and not just making assumptions. I also noticed you said “we want a coach that will build a quality program not a buddy of the AD.” Have you not read the rest of this thread? I ask because you got exactly that, a buddy of the AD and that’s been spelled out in some of the posts.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Pat wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:06 am

I noticed you didn’t dispute anything I said. That tells me that you either know I’m right or you aren’t very close to the situation and just hoping I’m wrong. Believe me I am giving accurate information and not just making assumptions. I also noticed you said “we want a coach that will build a quality program not a buddy of the AD.” Have you not read the rest of this thread? I ask because you got exactly that, a buddy of the AD and that’s been spelled out in some of the posts.
The “better applicants” line has been stated a few times, but nobody has named a name. At a minimum, one of you should be able to describe the qualifications of the person(s) you felt should’ve been hired.

The only other name I’ve seen mentioned is a guy with zero head coaching experience and very limited experience as an assistant in any successful program.

So I’ll directly ask again - who got passed over OR (if for some reason you don’t want to say a name, not sure why that would be the case) what were the qualifications of the people that were passed over that made those people obviously better candidates?

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Same question as above to you.

chrishilton91
Freshman Team

Post by chrishilton91 »

enigmaax wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:08 am

The “better applicants” line has been stated a few times, but nobody has named a name. At a minimum, one of you should be able to describe the qualifications of the person(s) you felt should’ve been hired.

The only other name I’ve seen mentioned is a guy with zero head coaching experience and very limited experience as an assistant in any successful program.

So I’ll directly ask again - who got passed over OR (if for some reason you don’t want to say a name, not sure why that would be the case) what were the qualifications of the people that were passed over that made those people obviously better candidates?
This will be my last post until someone is officially hired because its just counterproductive.

To be clear, I do NOT the think the alleged name being mentioned is the right choice because he is a buddy of the AD and his background. I personally believe we need a younger coach that will stay and build a program. And live here not travel down 339.

I have not mentioned in other names out of respect for the ones that applied and/or interviewed. If they want their names mentioned they can do it themselves.

I respect your opinion and hope the board will finally make a good decision.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

chrishilton91 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:34 am

This will be my last post until someone is officially hired because its just counterproductive.

To be clear, I do NOT the think the alleged name being mentioned is the right choice because he is a buddy of the AD and his background. I personally believe we need a younger coach that will stay and build a program. And live here not travel down 339.

I have not mentioned in other names out of respect for the ones that applied and/or interviewed. If they want their names mentioned they can do it themselves.

I don’t have an opinion on whether it’s the right hire or not. You certainly don’t have to say names, but is your only desired qualification “a young coach”? And how do you determine if someone will stay (or succeed and even have people want him to stay)?

It’s just interesting that a couple of you constantly criticize the decision-makers but you can’t add any substance to what the better decision(s) would be. It’s just, “we need this” where you can’t even say that “this” exists.

It’s not exposing anyone to say something like, “One applicant has 12 years HC experience” or “One applicant has been an assistant for 10 years in a winning program” or “One applicant doesn’t have much experience but loves Belpre,” so we can at least evaluate whether there’s something to your repeated undermining or if you just happen to be buddies with someone who didn’t get the job (or a personal vendetta against some administrators).

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

enigmaax wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:50 pm

I don’t have an opinion on whether it’s the right hire or not. You certainly don’t have to say names, but is your only desired qualification “a young coach”? And how do you determine if someone will stay (or succeed and even have people want him to stay)?

It’s just interesting that a couple of you constantly criticize the decision-makers but you can’t add any substance to what the better decision(s) would be. It’s just, “we need this” where you can’t even say that “this” exists.

It’s not exposing anyone to say something like, “One applicant has 12 years HC experience” or “One applicant has been an assistant for 10 years in a winning program” or “One applicant doesn’t have much experience but loves Belpre,” so we can at least evaluate whether there’s something to your repeated undermining or if you just happen to be buddies with someone who didn’t get the job (or a personal vendetta against some administrators).
Can you give some reasons why Welsh is the right choice? You’re quick to grill people who say he wasn’t the best choice. So tell us why you think he is. You obviously think that, so please tell us you have reasons for why you think that and aren’t just friends with him or friends with the AD or someone else on the inside or just criticizing with no basis. Tell us there is some substance to your barrage of criticism you keep piling onto those who disagree.

To answer your question, there was more than one applicant who has HC experience with more success and are not retired. One applicant has been extremely successful and didn’t get an interview. Never even acknowledged that he applied. So, this smells of sham process that wasted everyone’s time because the powers knew who they were going to hire all along. JMHO

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Pat wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:15 pm
enigmaax wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:50 pm

Can you give some reasons why Welsh is the right choice? You’re quick to grill people who say he wasn’t the best choice. So tell us why you think he is. You obviously think that, so please tell us you have reasons for why you think that and aren’t just friends with him or friends with the AD or someone else on the inside or just criticizing with no basis. Tell us there is some substance to your barrage of criticism you keep piling onto those who disagree.

To answer your question, there was more than one applicant who has HC experience with more success and are not retired. One applicant has been extremely successful and didn’t get an interview. Never even acknowledged that he applied. So, this smells of sham process that wasted everyone’s time because the powers knew who they were going to hire all along. JMHO
I didn’t say anyone was the right choice. I don’t have enough information to form an opinion at this point, hence why I asked for real details. I think I spelled out pretty well what my criticism of you & a few others is, but I’ll do it again. When someone says, “There are better applicants” and then provides no valid information supporting that, it’s a worthless opinion. When someone says something like, “There was an applicant who has won 60% of his games, won a few playoff games, etc.,” it demonstrates the person has some credible information.

But see, you guys get defensive and confrontational about a “disagreement” that doesn’t yet exist. That’s pretty telling about your real motive and it isn’t uncommon; a lot of people spout of about how someone does a crappy job but they either argue nonsense or run and hide when put on the spot to support their general statements.

The ONLY thing I’ve maintained is that administrators have a tough job; we all want the next legendary coach to walk into our school’s offices, but hiring high school coaches isn’t like hiring college and professional coaches where there’s a lot of money to throw around or other perks. Belpre’s district is in sad shape in many ways - it isn’t super appealing. So I believe it would be tough to get “great” candidates. If there was someone better, like you say, I’d just like to know what makes them better TO TRY and understand whether you are right about the incompetence you are implying or whether you are just never going to be happy (I remember people complaining about hiring Devol - some people are never happy).

Now you’ve said “more successful” and “extremely successful” candidates existed. I would just like that quantified a bit since YOU are the one offering information. I don’t believe or not believe you, I just don’t know what your definitions of those terms are. For example, someone who was 20-50 is “more successful” as a HC than the person previously named, but having that record in the past 7 years may not make him a better candidate considering what the other person has been doing for the past few years. By “extremely successful,” are we talking regular playoff appearances or going .500 at a school that hadn’t done that in a while?

TL;DR - I’m just looking for context; if you don’t want to provide it, fine, but it undermines your credibility. I’m sure you don’t care whether I personally find you credible, but it lets me know whether to skip your posts in the future.

And for the record, I have no connections to either the person named or the Belpre AD. If the process was a sham like you say, it’s sad. I’ve lived through situations like Belpre’s past season with friends/relatives/kids and it’s a terrible place to be. Hopefully, they get it figured out.

LeftHandedCoach
Waterboy

Post by LeftHandedCoach »

I know personally as a younger coach myself taking the Belpre job literally makes zero sense for anyone that wants build a winning resume.
I see people cracking on Welsh on here bc he didn’t win games early in his career as HC. I know Kevin not personally just know of him. I know as an assistant he’s been apart of several good staffs and has won probably 40-50 percent of his games all together(totally guessing). Kevin has a ton of experience coaching, taught weight lifting for 20-30 years and is retired now. Kevin has the ability to be all hands on deck 24/7 for program. All in all he checks several boxes. Kevin has been coaching for 30-40 years with
Schaad(Making his first hire) probably felt some security hiring a guy 1. he worked with, and 2. He knows what type of person he will be getting. In my opinion to me he can justify this hire more than he could justify hiring a young coach with zero HC experience.

Another point why would a young coach want to go be a HC for the first time and ruin their coaching record over 3-4 years at Belpre? To just say they were a HC? Let alone trying to navigate a season with less than 15 kids last year. Personally in the end being a coordinator at bigger school/better school makes more sense then trying to rebuild something that honestly right now looks very unpromising.
If it isn’t welsh I recommend hiring a Belpre grad who just loves Belpre. That’s probably the best move to me but what do I know. I believe Schaad made the safe/justifiable hire if it is indeed welsh.

Return to “Football”