Belpre football

chrishilton91
Freshman Team

Re: Belpre football

Post by chrishilton91 »

I called it! I said the AD would hire a Warren guy. I will wait until It's official before I respond further!

OldskoolWarrior
Riding the Bench

Post by OldskoolWarrior »

chrishilton91 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:37 pm I called it! I said the AD would hire a Warren guy. I will wait until It's official before I respond further!
Welsh isn’t just a Warren guy. He’s been several places and has been successful as a coach. PHS and Fort Frye to name a few. If you like the wing T, you’ll like Welsh.

chrishilton91
Freshman Team

Post by chrishilton91 »

OldskoolWarrior wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:47 pm
chrishilton91 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:37 pm I called it! I said the AD would hire a Warren guy. I will wait until It's official before I respond further!
Welsh isn’t just a Warren guy. He’s been several places and has been successful as a coach. PHS and Fort Frye to name a few. If you like the wing T, you’ll like Welsh.
Didn’t he retire from warren ? And kid went to warren ?

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

chrishilton91 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:23 pm
He was an athletic fitness teacher for years and retired recently. His older 3 sons went to Warren, and the youngest went to Fort Frye when he was coaching there. He was the HC at Warren for a year - 2001 I believe. He hasn't coached at Warren since 2009 or so, when he was the OC for Pifer. His Wing T was pretty effective that year.

chrishilton91
Freshman Team

Post by chrishilton91 »

beg003 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:32 pm

He was an athletic fitness teacher for years and retired recently. His older 3 sons went to Warren, and the youngest went to Fort Frye when he was coaching there. He was the HC at Warren for a year - 2001 I believe. He hasn't coached at Warren since 2009 or so, when he was the OC for Pifer. His Wing T was pretty effective that year.
So he is from warren lol Belpres AD taught when he was there And was a student in his class. Which is my point. I said from day one the AD would hire someone with Warren ties. There were belpre graduates with experience who applied and local successful coaches. And after he interviewed all of them he Posted on OHSAA then decided that Someone from warren would be the best lol. They stated they wanted a young coach to build the program. So they went then opposite instead.

Unckle Ralph
Waterboy

Post by Unckle Ralph »

The Belpre football program, the players, parents and fans deserve someone who will be there for practice, weight lifting and actually teach the game. You can’t have a coach to only show up when it’s convenient. Having a retired coach who can and will spend time with the players is a great thing and an easy out for the BOE not to have to hire him as a teacher, just coaching. If you want a program to grow and prosper you need to invest TIME.

The Belpre AD did not attend Warren High School or any other school in this area.
Last edited by Unckle Ralph on Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

chrishilton91 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:09 pm

So he is from warren lol Belpres AD taught when he was there And was a student in his class. Which is my point. I said from day one the AD would hire someone with Warren ties. There were belpre graduates with experience who applied and local successful coaches. And after he interviewed all of them he Posted on OHSAA then decided that Someone from warren would be the best lol. They stated they wanted a young coach to build the program. So they went then opposite instead.
Can’t argue with that. My first choice would’ve been a Belpre guy if the fit was right.

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

Let me see if I get this, you had multiple coaches apply, some from Belpre, other successful coaches, and even a state championship coach but none of those were good enough. So you repost and end up hiring a guy that was HC for one year at Warren 22 years ago and hasn’t coached in 14 years. WOW! I hope he had a winning record that one year. Since they don’t have enough players to play the good teams on the schedule maybe he has 8 man experience. Yeah that’s probably it. SMDH

chrishilton91
Freshman Team

Post by chrishilton91 »

He has coached at multiple places since then as an assistant. And not sure who you are referring to as a state championship coach that applied.

OldskoolWarrior
Riding the Bench

Pat wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:22 am

Let me see if I get this, you had multiple coaches apply, some from Belpre, other successful coaches, and even a state championship coach but none of those were good enough. So you repost and end up hiring a guy that was HC for one year at Warren 22 years ago and hasn’t coached in 14 years. WOW! I hope he had a winning record that one year. Since they don’t have enough players to play the good teams on the schedule maybe he has 8 man experience. Yeah that’s probably it. SMDH
Pretty sure he was 4-6 at Warren but that’s pretty comparable to all the coaches at Warren the last 25 years.

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

OldskoolWarrior wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:45 am
Pretty sure he was 4-6 at Warren but that’s pretty comparable to all the coaches at Warren the last 25 years.
So a below .500 coach from over 20 years ago is the best option? Crazy.

OldskoolWarrior
Riding the Bench

Pat wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:45 am

Anything is better than what Belpre has now. A warm body at this point is a start. Not sure why the AD doesn’t coach? He has some experience.

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

OldskoolWarrior wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:21 pm
Pat wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:45 am

Anything is better than what Belpre has now. A warm body at this point is a start. Not sure why the AD doesn’t coach? He has some experience.
Do you think this Warren wannabe coach will be good enough to score against Trimble? Or will he duck the Tomcats like someone else said he will?

Don’t hate us just because you ain’t us.
BJCassady
Freshman Team

Post by BJCassady »

At this point in time the name of any person who may or may not applied for the job is a guess unless someone here is on a committee, if there is even one, that is doing reviews of applicants or interviews unless someone tells someone that they applied and or were interviewed.

I would be surprised if there is any type of announcement prior to the next regularly scheduled Board meeting on February 16.

Until then, this is all speculation.

I would hope that they would wrap this soon and hold a special meeting and get the new coach introduced to the players and start off season prep for next season. The sooner the better.

As always...

LETS GO EAGLES!!!

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

BJCassady wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:26 pm At this point in time the name of any person who may or may not applied for the job is a guess unless someone here is on a committee, if there is even one, that is doing reviews of applicants or interviews unless someone tells someone that they applied and or were interviewed.

I would be surprised if there is any type of announcement prior to the next regularly scheduled Board meeting on February 16.

Until then, this is all speculation.

I would hope that they would wrap this soon and hold a special meeting and get the new coach introduced to the players and start off season prep for next season. The sooner the better.

As always...

LETS GO EAGLES!!!
So is it true that Belpre is going to duck Trimble by saying they don’t have enough players or is that a guess too?

Don’t hate us just because you ain’t us.
BJCassady
Freshman Team

Post by BJCassady »

From what I was told, Belpre has not informed any TVC schools that they are planning on dropping any member school from next years schedule. This info is from the last conference meeting.

We will be playing our published 2023 schedule.

As always...

LETS GO EAGLES!!!

chrishilton91
Freshman Team

Post by chrishilton91 »

Just an Fyi Welch’s record at frontier during the late 80s was 3-27 and 4-6 at Warren according to four seasons football.com

OldskoolWarrior
Riding the Bench

chrishilton91 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:50 pm Just an Fyi Welch’s record at frontier during the late 80s was 3-27 and 4-6 at Warren according to four seasons football.com
Still better than 2-18 over the last 2 seasons.

chrishilton91
Freshman Team

Post by chrishilton91 »

chrishilton91 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:50 pm Just an Fyi Welch’s record at frontier during the late 80s was 3-27 and 4-6 at Warren according to four seasons football.com
Someone told me he coached at Eastern so looked up and he was 5-15 there. So overall he is 12-48.

Not a Hater! My problem is the hiring process. As stated earlier (if he is the guy), I said day one the AD would hire someone associated with Warren. And I am sure the other candidates would have been a better fit.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

There was a team in the area back in the day that went 10-0 , made the playoffs. The following year the team went 3-7 and missed the playoffs. They ran the exact same offense and Defense in both years. My question is this, Why?? Point being: It's more about the JIMMY and the JOEs compared to the Xs and O s

Return to “Football”