Wheelersburg 2022

SPelf
Freshman Team

Re: Wheelersburg 2022

Post by SPelf »

Not A Homer wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:37 am
mustard wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:05 pm Burg passing attack needs to get better
Kaskey is out as OC, not sure if that will help or hinder the passing attack, but definitely something to keep an eye on.
I saw that alluded to last year. What happened with that? Did Tom leave or did he get the boot? Who's calling plays/OC now?

Not A Homer
Riding the Bench

Post by Not A Homer »

SPelf wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:14 pm
Not A Homer wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:37 am
mustard wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:05 pm Burg passing attack needs to get better
Kaskey is out as OC, not sure if that will help or hinder the passing attack, but definitely something to keep an eye on.
I saw that alluded to last year. What happened with that? Did Tom leave or did he get the boot? Who's calling plays/OC now?
a lot of small town rumors going on around that, but I think it was ultimately a mutual decision. Dusty Salyers picked up play calling duties midway through the season last year, and I assume will handle that this year.

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

It doesn’t matter who the coordinator is if he can’t get a passing game going.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

I know just 7 on 7s but what’s going on at Wheelersburg. Two reports I’ve had in last couple days say pirates passing game and pass coverage is very suspect. Heard from very reliable sources they were beat at Raceland 7 on 7 by Raceland.
Then I heard Gallia beat them 5 TD to 2 TD the other night. Was told the passing game doesn’t look good as there’s not a lot of athletes at WR and the pass defense has really struggled matching up against some of the more athletic teams around the area. Would like to hear Wheelersburg fans side of the story.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

XandOs wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:48 am I know just 7 on 7s but what’s going on at Wheelersburg. Two reports I’ve had in last couple days say pirates passing game and pass coverage is very suspect. Heard from very reliable sources they were beat at Raceland 7 on 7 by Raceland.
Then I heard Gallia beat them 5 TD to 2 TD the other night. Was told the passing game doesn’t look good as there’s not a lot of athletes at WR and the pass defense has really struggled matching up against some of the more athletic teams around the area. Would like to hear Wheelersburg fans side of the story.
I'd just go with that :D
it makes for a bigger build up for week 1
Burgs facebook page says they won the raceland camp

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

JTEK wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:18 am
XandOs wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:48 am I know just 7 on 7s but what’s going on at Wheelersburg. Two reports I’ve had in last couple days say pirates passing game and pass coverage is very suspect. Heard from very reliable sources they were beat at Raceland 7 on 7 by Raceland.
Like I posted in the other topic, burg ain’t a passing team this year with the QB they have coming back. They may try but from my observation, they struggled in that department last year. They have to try or teams will just stack the box on them. They do have a pretty fast big QB that runs really well but he has to be accurate on the throws or they will stall offensively.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

This really hurts Wheelersburg’s chances of winning the 7 on 7 state title.

Given that line play tends to be an important part of the game, I’m going to guess their alleged struggles mean very little come Week 1 and thereafter.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

mustard wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:47 am
Like I posted in the other topic, burg ain’t a passing team this year with the QB they have coming back. They may try but from my observation, they struggled in that department last year. They have to try or teams will just stack the box on them. They do have a pretty fast big QB that runs really well but he has to be accurate on the throws or they will stall offensively.
I'll say this for the young man thats returning, when he had to and burg needed a big play down the field, he came through last year

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

JTEK wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:09 am
mustard wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:47 am

I'll say this for the young man thats returning, when he had to and burg needed a big play down the field, he came through last year
Exactly. People forget the QB missed first 3 games last year to injury to his throwing hand. He returned, but hand still wasn't 100%. Add to that a coordinator change midseason, and Burg was pretty basic on offense last year. But when needed, QB made big plays through the air (Waverly and Ridgewood games come to mind).

Burg will be more comfortable with the QB this year and open up the playbook for him. But with the talent at offensive line and running backs they have returning, Burg still going to be a run-first team.*

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

I don’t know if we won any 7 on 7’s last year, but I know the passing game won’t be worse than last year. Still ended up with a pretty solid season. In my opinion the passing game really needs more confidence from the offensive coordinator. It’s not Salyers to Holden but is decently effective (see Ridgewood game). It was just extremely rarely called for whatever reason.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

Will the Burg have there Black and orange scrimmage next sat?

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

Ed Miller won many a game not throwing a pass , it can happen again.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

No Orange and Black scrimmage on the schedule again…didn’t have one last year either.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

O K THANK YOU.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Welcome! They scrimmage London @ Burg 8/5 and @ Raceland the 12th

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

522Pirate wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:28 pm Welcome! They scrimmage London @ Burg 8/5 and @ Raceland the 12th
The Raceland game will also be at Burg

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Good deal…they still finishing up the turf over in Raceland?

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

What time are the scrimmages?

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

The schedule shows 8/5 against London @ 6….no time listed for the Raceland scrimmage. I would guess 6 also but not entirely sure.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

522Pirate wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:12 am The schedule shows 8/5 against London @ 6….no time listed for the Raceland scrimmage. I would guess 6 also but not entirely sure.
Thanks!

Return to “Football”