Off coordinator

Seabee_0586
Varsity

Re: Off coordinator

Post by Seabee_0586 »

I would like to see easts coach get a shot at a bigger program to see what he could do

SOC 1
Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Prime Time wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:59 pm Maybe the Hall famer get a crack in Portsmouth.
As I stated before, I am not a political person. Dutey and the Board of Education want nothing to do with me.

Go Trojans!

falcon117
Riding the Bench

Post by falcon117 »

Nut wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:45 am The playoffs are here it's Friday night and the Trojans are sitting at home with a playoff caliber team. Who is the offensive coordinator that sits in the booth and call 4 plays out of a playbook that is 4" thick? I feel bad for the Kelly kid who is a college qb and had to go through all the bs play calling all year. Something has to change, Duncan had a 8-2 at worst playoff team and couldn't do nothing with them. Rumors are the Parker kid is moving to Burg and the Boehm kid is moving to West and I really don't blame them. Next year it's only gonna get worse.
Did you have any problems with the D-coordinator? I know it was his first year but he is one of the most respected defensive coaches around along with Chad Johnson from Burg.

Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

Observation from Portsmouth scores. Seems like there defense gave up a awful lot of points.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Phoenix31 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:32 pm
Howard Cosell wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:27 am
Look....a communist....subversive from within. You should give up your whistle. I think you can apply at Walmart online.
Funny that mine is post 31...

You are incorrect, HC.

My name is K.B. Johnson. There are many dualities in my life, but politics is not one of them.

* 2 careers (Banking and Education)
* 2 years as PHS Football Captain (1983 & 1984)
* Portsmouth HOF for Football (1984 team) and Baseball (1985 individual)
* Div 1 athlete in 2 different sports (Football @ Army, 1985 & 1986) and (Baseball @ Cincinnati, 1988 & 1989)

I believe that Coach Duncan and his staff are on the right path with the talent that they have, except for the aforementioned athletes at PHS playing both ways more.

Go Trojans!

Hope this isn’t a trend to self identify on SEOPs. If so then I’m amazingly good looking and invented the internet. I’m sure that the mic did hit the floor as he was way too atheletic to let it hit his foot.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Nut wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:45 am The playoffs are here it's Friday night and the Trojans are sitting at home with a playoff caliber team. Who is the offensive coordinator that sits in the booth and call 4 plays out of a playbook that is 4" thick? I feel bad for the Kelly kid who is a college qb and had to go through all the bs play calling all year. Something has to change, Duncan had a 8-2 at worst playoff team and couldn't do nothing with them. Rumors are the Parker kid is moving to Burg and the Boehm kid is moving to West and I really don't blame them. Next year it's only gonna get worse.
Parker to Burg would be sick. Pairing him with Holden, Salyers and Mathews would make for the most explosive offense this area has ever seen.*

Seabee_0586
Varsity

Post by Seabee_0586 »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:38 pm
Parker to Burg would be sick. Pairing him with Holden, Salyers and Mathews would make for the most explosive offense this area has ever seen.*
I would have to agree

SOC 1
Jolly(senator
Freshman Team

Post by Jolly(senator »

If west gets boehm they'll be just as good with berry healthy

ohwkGREATNESSyrio
All Conference

Post by ohwkGREATNESSyrio »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:38 pm
Would be a real fun team to watch

I AM HARMS WAY. Life is a knive fight. Bring guns for the fun.
Nut
Riding the Bench

Post by Nut »

falcon117 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:14 pm
Did you have any problems with the D-coordinator? I know it was his first year but he is one of the most respected defensive coaches around along with Chad Johnson from Burg.
Wasn't impressed at all. What has he done to be mentioned with Chad?

Prime Time
S

Re: Off coordinatori

Post by Prime Time »

I went to the joe Eitel site and was looking at Portsmouth ten games.They gave up 25.6 point
a game. A very poor South Point team they blanked. So if you throw out Pointers they gave up over 28 points a game .I seen where teams they beat were 500 and below , beat no teams with winning record . Also saw where they was up 14-0 on West and then gave up 32 some points to them. Every team has injury’s also and you play with what your team has. seems like Ironton did just that.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Seabee_0586 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:31 pm I would like to see easts coach get a shot at a bigger program to see what he could do
I look for East to try and lock him up for a while.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Tartanblue wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:55 pm
Seabee_0586 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:31 pm I would like to see easts coach get a shot at a bigger program to see what he could do
How do you lock up a high school coach?

Seabee_0586
Varsity

Post by Seabee_0586 »

They need to do something to keep him there but I bet a big school will lure him in

SOC 1
Nut
Riding the Bench

Post by Nut »

I know one thing you can say about Gifford he does everything in his power to get kids to the next level.

dontreply
Freshman Team

Post by dontreply »

They going to ground him or put him in jail or what

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I just don't understand as the years roll by, 10 years without the playoffs, that there is so much talk about the offense at Portsmouth........THAT IS NOT THE PROBLEM!! During Coach Clifford's last years, and since having Coach Sparks and Coach Duncan, the offense has not been the reason that the Trojans are in a decade long postseason drought and have posted an overall record of 35-65.......IT'S THE DEFENSE!!

Just take the last 2 years.......In 2016, Portsmouth averaged 27 PPG but GAVE UP 32 PPG en route to a 6-4 season. This season, the Trojans scored 27.8 PPG (virtually the same as 2016), and GAVE UP 25.6 PPG, almost a TD less than 2016. However, when you look at the game by game scores, the defense in 2017 gave up over 30 points 4 times, with a high mark of 62 vs. Fairland. The Trojans lost 2 games in which the offense scored more than 30 points......a 36-35 loss to Gallia Academy, and a 62-34 whipping by Fairland.

The defense did improve numbers wise from 2016 to 2017, but a team should not go 11-9 over the course of 2 seasons scoring an average of 27 PPG. Also ,of those 11 wins, only 1 came against a team with a winning record, that being Rock Hill from a year ago (33-32).

Coach Matiz's first year at PHS resulted in an improvement on the defensive side, but to be a playoff contender and/or participant, it has to improve. This is not Coach Matiz's fault, instead the reality is that this is a 10 year problem that has plagued this football program. No matter who the head coach has been, whether it be Clifford, Sparks, or Duncan, the offense has scored enough points to make the playoffs if only the defense would do it's part. Yet time and time again we Trojan fans have seen some talented offensive players' seasons come to an end after week 10.

Next year I am concerned about the offense for the first time in a long time.......we lose QB Isaac Kelly, who played his guts out every game, we lose Deonta Parker, who was a playmaker in various ways, and we lose WR Logan Carter, probably the best wideout on the team. We will have Talyn Parker back, and Parker Johnson at TE, but who else can make plays? It may just have to be that the DEFENSE will be the key to the Trojans fortunes in 2018.......and that doesn't make me feel very good about next season.

Say what you want, but the numbers above are the facts. There can be talk of getting a new offensive coordinator at PHS. You can spin it any way you want, but I don't buy into that. Instead, I want to see Coach Matiz continue to improve the defensive numbers which are not playoff good, or OVC title good for that matter, but did make a small upgrade from 2016. Giving up a TD less than the 2016 Trojans is a start, but there's still a long road ahead to get where the defense should be.
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

After reading this, only beating 1team in two years with winning record and Rock Hill is no football power,says a lot. How can that be a ten year problem different players , different coach’s not unless some have been there ten years. But staying positive and moving forward is always a good idea. Hocking county teams seen the same. Logan is a example of falling out of contention

Nut
Riding the Bench

Post by Nut »

trojandave wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:35 pm I just don't understand as the years roll by, 10 years without the playoffs, that there is so much talk about the offense at Portsmouth........THAT IS NOT THE PROBLEM!! During Coach Clifford's last years, and since having Coach Sparks and Coach Duncan, the offense has not been the reason that the Trojans are in a decade long postseason drought and have posted an overall record of 35-65.......IT'S THE DEFENSE!!

Just take the last 2 years.......In 2016, Portsmouth averaged 27 PPG but GAVE UP 32 PPG en route to a 6-4 season. This season, the Trojans scored 27.8 PPG (virtually the same as 2016), and GAVE UP 25.6 PPG, almost a TD less than 2016. However, when you look at the game by game scores, the defense in 2017 gave up over 30 points 4 times, with a high mark of 62 vs. Fairland. The Trojans lost 2 games in which the offense scored more than 30 points......a 36-35 loss to Gallia Academy, and a 62-34 whipping by Fairland.

The defense did improve numbers wise from 2016 to 2017, but a team should not go 11-9 over the course of 2 season scoring an average of 27 PPG. Also ,of those 11 wins, only 1 came against a team with a winning record, that being Rock Hill from a year ago (33-32).

Coach Matiz's first year at PHS resulted in an improvement on the defensive side, but to be a playoff contender and/or participant, it has to improve. This is not Coach Matiz's fault, instead the reality is that this is a 10 year problem that has plagued this football program. No matter who the head coach has been, whether it be Clifford, Sparks, or Duncan, the offense has scored enough points to make the playoffs if only the defense would do it's part. Yet time and time again we Trojan fans have seen some talented offensive players' seasons come to an end after week 10.

Next year I am concerned about the offense for the first time in a long time.......we lose QB Isaac Kelly, who played his guts out every game, we lose Deonta Parker, who was a playmaker in various ways, and we lose WR Logan Carter, probably the best wideout on the team. We will have Talyn Parker back, and Parker Johnson at TE, but who else can make plays? It may just have to be that the DEFENSE will be the key to the Trojans fortunes in 2018.......and that doesn't make me feel very good about next season.

Say what you want, but the numbers above are the facts. There can be talk of getting a new offensive coordinator at PHS. You can spin it any way you want, but I don't buy into that. Instead, I want to see Coach Matiz continue to improve the defensive numbers which are not playoff good, or OVC title good for that matter, but did make a small upgrade from 2016. Giving up a TD less than the 2016 Trojans is a start, but there's still a long road ahead to get where the defense should be.
They will have no line at all next year, no qb and no playmaker other than Parker. Defensively the Trojans will have nothing but a few young linebackers. This was Aaron's best chance to have a winning season.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

rxburgfan wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:02 pmHope this isn’t a trend to self identify on SEOPs.
I am Tobias.

I am now a walrus.

Coo coo cachoo.

Return to “Football”