Valley(7) @ (35)Portsmouth

grayjonathan42
Waterboy

Re: WK1 Valley @ Portsmouth (8/24)

Post by grayjonathan42 »

21-0 Trojans at half

Valley oline can not open any holes
Kelly looks like he can lead the Trojans this year decent arm decent legs does have one interception on a ball he threw up in man coverage great play by valley cb.

Also portsmouth lost talin parker #1 not for sure if that's the right sleeping taken off in ambulance looks like they were saying arm or fore arm injury

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Valley can not move the ball at all on Portsmouth. They have had chances in the passing game but keep dropping the ball.

grayjonathan42
Waterboy

Post by grayjonathan42 »

The other parker is out with a keg injury looked like a cramp but they are still working on him

grayjonathan42
Waterboy

Post by grayjonathan42 »

35 to 7 Trojans 10:31 left in the game

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

grayjonathan42 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:48 pm The other parker is out with a keg injury looked like a cramp but they are still working on him
I am sure many fans suffer keg injuries on football weekends.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Congrats to the Trojans. Indians did a few things well, and will get better as the season progresses.

I also really liked the Indians uniforms.

grayjonathan42
Waterboy

Post by grayjonathan42 »

farmer wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:41 pm
grayjonathan42 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:48 pm The other parker is out with a keg injury looked like a cramp but they are still working on him
I am sure many fans suffer keg injuries on football weekends.
Yep I'm sure many do he did come back in the game. Good to see he was out for awhile with that leg cramp

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Valley really impressed me they just kept fighting. They have really improved since last year they just are not ready for a team like Portsmouth. The freshman qb is going to be special once he grows a little.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

A few takeaways, questions and predictions.

Great atmosphere! Valley travels well, impressive turnout. Streeter with 17 tackles..Wow! Portsmouth's QB (Kelley) is one of if not the best duel threat QB in southern Ohio. Shope is a dangerous runner and will have some nice games. For 7:00 games open the gates "before" 6:00!

Why would any team kick the ball to Streeter? Why? Why did Streeter carry the ball only four times? Any report on Parker's injury?

Valley was the recipient of some bad luck. Twice a pass was tipped and still made it to a Portsmouth receiver. One may have cost Valley a late first half stop that ended in a Portsmouth TD. Valley will give some teams fits and they will win some games. Their defense plays hard and pursuit is good. Not many long runs by Portsmouth. AND Valley's defense was on the field nearly the entire game.

Portsmouth has a legitimate chance to win 8 or more games and make the playoffs.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I thought Valley's defense looked pretty decent. They just could not get stops to get off the field.

PHS offense looked very balanced. The Kelly kid should be a consistent weapon for them all year and has play makers around him.

I thought Valley really struggled offensively except for the long run. PHS defense looks to be much better this year and I agree they should win 8+ games and could be a handful for anyone in their region week 11.

Someone told me the Parker kid might be out 4 weeks with a dislocated elbow. Really hate to see the young man get hurt because he was sure to have a big season.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

congrats to the Trojans and the ovc.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Nut
Riding the Bench

Post by Nut »

Trojans made some costly mistakes or this game would have been way out of hand. That being said Valley has definitely improved on the defensive side of the ball. Trojans have to get better on the stupid penalties.

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Portsmouth 35 Valley 7

Post by mattash »

Valley only have 5 upper class players?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Voice of Reason
Riding the Bench

Post by Voice of Reason »

I think they only started 3 seniors (FB, OT, DT) and a 4th and 5th senior rotated at WR and DE. Most of the offensive line was making their first start, 2 sophomores, 2 juniors, 1 senior. Valley is composed of mostly sophomores and juniors, I think they comprise almost 75% of the entire team.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Stats from the game?

Michael Scott
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Trojans on the win......and I commend the Indians for a strong effort. The standout player to me was PHS QB Isaac Kelly, who made a lot of positive plays with his arm and feet. Reese Johnson filled in nicely for Talyn Parker (get well soon Talyn). Deonta Parker made some key plays in his first game as a Trojan. The Portsmouth defense stepped up and looked like a respectable unit, something that I haven't been able to say for a long time. If the Trojans can bottle up this effort going forward, then a lot of good things will happen, a playoff berth and an OVC title is certainly within reach.......but one game is one game.........and the Trojans must maintain consistency on both sides of the ball to reach the goals ahead of them.

CUT DOWN THE PENALTIES, PORTSMOUTH!!........First game or not, way too many penalties!!

The Shope kid for Valley (QB) played a good game, but unfortunately had a number of drops that could have moved the Indians down the field. He will have a fine career for the Purple and Gold. Don't know how many games VHS will win, but they will be in a lot of them by the 4th quarter.
Last edited by trojandave on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Good to hear some positive things for the Indians moving forward and also good to see the Trojans coming back to form.

I know the Indians only have a few seniors so that'll be something to look for the next few years.

Wooddawg50
Waterboy

Post by Wooddawg50 »

I was at the game last night. Portsmouth may be poised for a good year but they were very rusty last night. Valley is a young team that has a very bright future. their offensive line will get better as this season goes on. All valley needed was to be a little more aggressive. If Portsmouth wants to get back to where they used to be they need to cut out the mistakes and start closing teams out instead of letting them hang around. Portsmouth can be great however Valley I believe has the brighter future here

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Valley(7) @ (35)Portsmouth

Post by mattash »

Stats?

Michael Scott

Return to “Football”