Thrown out of a game?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Thrown out of a game?

Post by 93Bulldog »

I see guys who played on the early 70's Athens teams which made the Convo. I will ask them this morning.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Two members of the 1970 Athens team, which played at the Convo, said the bleachers were not out for their games.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

93Bulldog wrote:Two members of the 1970 Athens team, which played at the Convo, said the bleachers were not out for their games.
Said 69 a Portsmouth player went into the stands

Jim Ryan
JV Team

Post by Jim Ryan »

Truth&fiction wrote:Back to the original poster . If you were around talking to the authorities after the game you are the man! Most officials are running to the exit as the clock strikes double zeros . Good story and thanks for the post ,need more of this stuff . Thanks again
At Racine, depending on how the game went, the officials may be blocked from "running to the exit" by some of the more supportive fans of the program. :mrgreen:

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

We have confirmation that in 1969 the bleachers were pulled out at the convo. My dad was a 72 graduate at Athens. His neighbor was Larry Hunter. Always went to games with him. Also got people from shade and Albany to confirm. Also got an Athens coach to confirm it. Even a retired out cop confirmed it.

I hate having to argue this every year. The bleachers were pushed in because of a big fight

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Not going to argue with you, I know why they are not pulled out, and why they are not going to be pulled out anytime soon. Believe what you want, you always do

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

I got thrown out once for eating popcorn. Yea, that's what the zebra told me when I asked. :lol: But that was in Meigs County, and they do things a little differently down there. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Pol pot wrote:Not going to argue with you, I know why they are not pulled out, and why they are not going to be pulled out anytime soon. Believe what you want, you always do
Can you share your story then? I'm curious about this because I've always wondered

ROLL PEAKE
Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

bbn77 wrote:
Pol pot wrote:Not going to argue with you, I know why they are not pulled out, and why they are not going to be pulled out anytime soon. Believe what you want, you always do
Can you share your story then? I'm curious about this because I've always wondered
It's not a story, when you run games on a 1:45 min time frame and run 4-6 games in a day you must keep people off the floor in order to get teams on and off. You simply cannot do that with people on the floor, Imagine the scene when a team wins a big game and the fans and students rush to the floor and the 2nd game is scheduled to begin in 25 min, you are looking more like 45-1hour. Also added security cost as you would need an additional 6-8 officers on the floor, to keep people off the floor. Third issue is how do you manage the seats behind the benches and at courtside when the entire event is festival seating? The tournament could easily used an assigned ticketed position, but that would drive cost up in regards to printing and personnel cost to manage. Fourth is on week nights the OHIO University sports teams are practicing, remember the facility is theirs, and they want/need and use all 6 baskets and practice everyday until 5:00, when the doors open at 5:00 the seating simply cannot be pulled out in time and set up, especially the chairbacks that go along the score table side. And if the seating cannot be available every game its a simpler decision and keeps people from making accusations of favoritism.

As for the issue of fights, fights unfortunately happen, even with the bleachers up they happen on the floor and they happen in the stands, so that reason has zero verifiable reasoning except that is simply what some people want to believe.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

So a fight between students, players, and fans didnt cause the bleachers to pushed? That is hilarious.

Raider 1 Pol Pot 50

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Ground Buck wrote:I got thrown out once for eating popcorn. Yea, that's what the zebra told me when I asked. :lol: But that was in Meigs County, and they do things a little differently down there. :mrgreen:
You chew to loud! :lol:

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Raider6309 wrote:So a fight between students, players, and fans didnt cause the bleachers to pushed? That is hilarious.

Raider 1 Pol Pot 50

You kill me, you know not one person who actually makes the decisions and yet you are going to without a doubt give an ironclad reasoning to how and why decisions have been made. Feel good and pat yourself on the back all you want. OHIO University has been through 5 different AD's and there have been numerous District Board changes, not one member was serving back then, do you think the OHIO AD in 1969 left a post it note on the door stating FYI: from this date forward the bleachers will never again be pulled out for a game?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Idk what you are arguing? The bleachers were pulled out, there was a fight, the next game they were pushed in. That's pretty black and white

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

Quite the pithing match you two guys got going on. :? :roll: :cry:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I got an idea, someone go to Alden Library, look at microfilm - search March 1969. Perhaps Tom wrote an article about this topic in the Messenger. lol

Maybe both Raider and pol pot are correct. Perhaps an altercation occurred 48 years ago causing the University to scrap the idea of having bleachers out. But over time, other reasons have arouse for them to never be pulled out again.

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

Speaking of Tom Metters? sp., is he still around. Always enjoyed talking to him during The State Legion Tournament at Athens, and a few times after it moved to Lancaster.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

rickoshay wrote:Speaking of Tom Metters? sp., is he still around. Always enjoyed talking to him during The State Legion Tournament at Athens, and a few times after it moved to Lancaster.
Yes, but no longer works at the Messenger.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I would like to ask for my friend trojandave who got turned away at the gate two years ago at the combo for trying to snuggle in a subway foot long.....this year will you be allowed to bring in snacks?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

93Bulldog wrote:
rickoshay wrote:Speaking of Tom Metters? sp., is he still around. Always enjoyed talking to him during The State Legion Tournament at Athens, and a few times after it moved to Lancaster.
Yes, but no longer works at the Messenger.
Has he been to any games this year? And is press row named after Tom Metters yet?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Tom should be retired

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us

Return to “Boys Basketball”