Wheelersburg softball 2021

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Wheelersburg softball 2021

Post by captainmorgan_ »

This team also lost a lot of seniors that didnt get to play out their last season. What will the team roster look like this year. Who plays where? Will they make a deep tournament run? How far will they go?

fbnut
SEOP

Re: Wheelersburg softball 2021

Post by fbnut »

captainmorgan_ wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:41 pm This team also lost a lot of seniors that didnt get to play out their last season. What will the team roster look like this year. Who plays where? Will they make a deep tournament run? How far will they go?
talent everywhere and another howard on the mound should make for a pretty solid team with a chance to make it to akron

Areukidinme
Waterboy

Post by Areukidinme »

Areukidinme, this Burg team is loaded. The top coaches, Senior talent, many already committed to their college of choice, leadership, a super soph, freshman class of World Series Champions. Burg softball this spring will a juggernaut. Anxious to see the schedule outside of the SOC preparing this bunch for a big season that should be a final four adventure. Are they good enough to take the State crown in their division, possibly, will depend on the strength of schedule, the schools up north and the arm of the Howard girl. Locally, the Ironton Tigers, have a very strong pitcher for the division who will keep them in games.

I hope to catch a few more games this year, know a few of the girls and they are anxious to get on the diamond. Gene Bennet field will be rocking this spring.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

what colleges are they committed to?

Areukidinme
Waterboy

Post by Areukidinme »

Verbal commitments at this time but, Hughes, University of Charleston, Eller, Ashland University and Sturgill Carson Newman. According to a couple of their parents official signing days will be held in November.

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

captainmorgan_ wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:41 pm This team also lost a lot of seniors that didnt get to play out their last season. What will the team roster look like this year. Who plays where? Will they make a deep tournament run? How far will they go?
Let's just hope they don't decide to shut eveything down again.

But on a positive note.. Burg should be pretty good. I'll have to agree, how far they go in tournament play will have a lot to do with pitching. That's a lot to put on a freshman but she has plently of experience. I assume 3 seniors mentioned above will make up 2nd, SS and 3rd base as they did last year (2 seasons ago). Eaton is a talented sophomore.. not sure where she plays defensively? Preston may catch? As far as other positions, I have no idea. I also know those seniors have a pretty big chip on their shoulders and will be on a mission..

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

It looks like a lot of them have been working hard in the cages no doubt they will be ready to go. I look forward to following this team

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Should be another deep run if everyone stays healthy. Talent everywhere. And a good one in the circle. SOC teams playing for second place.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

Some great talent with this school year in and out, but with all 1 year off, might be some surprises around the league..
Last edited by mglight88 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

mglight88 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:19 pm Some great talent with this school year in and o9ut,m but with asll 1 year off, might be some surprises around the league..
Who do you have in mind that will surprise us? I have no idea how the rest of the SOC will be because unfortunately no one is talking about any other team.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

Well, I have to put my Falcons in their. Shoulb be able to win a few. Waverly has some talent. Northwest and West will win a few. But I think until you defeat the beast, they have to remain favs.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

interested to see what webster has
the staff out there has done a great job the past few years

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

Burgs first scrimmage was tonight.. they put on a hitting clinic. 8-9 homeruns. Howard pitched the first 4 innings, I believe, and gave up no hits and no walks.

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

longball wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:22 am Burgs first scrimmage was tonight.. they put on a hitting clinic. 8-9 homeruns. Howard pitched the first 4 innings, I believe, and gave up no hits and no walks.
Heard the final was about 26-1

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Who did they play ?

Liberal:(n) A person so open minded their brains fell out .
PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

ManitouDan wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:16 am Who did they play ?
Gallia Academy I believe

Areukidinme
Waterboy

Post by Areukidinme »

I heard they were playing, thought I would stop by after work to see if all this talk was true. Let me tell you, they played a solid gallia academy team with three good high school pitchers who could bring the ball and get it over the plate, didnt walk many because the burg hit everything they threw. Line drives from every position in the lineup and the reserves, the lead off hitter blasted two home runs, the lefthanded girl hit two while I was there, said she hit three, the last one was at least 270 ft. Several of the freshman hit homeruns, linedrives, very few dink hits. Pitching was good from both Burg girls. They quit keeping score on the board at 26-1, Burg probably scored 30+. Coach Ruby has a good problem on her hands, underclassman will push the older girls for PT.

This Gallia Academy team would be very competitive in the SOC II, now it was only a scrimmage but I was shocked. I hope to catch them again to see if they can maintain it. I was a doubter, with a few breaks this could be a strong contender for the State.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

Not taking anything away from wburg because I know those girls can hit the ball but what I know I don’t think any of gallias pitchers were bringing it i would say it was probably like batting practice. again not taking anything away still very impressive and I agree on possible contender for state still early tho

Areukidinme
Waterboy

Post by Areukidinme »

Well, I don't want to debate the dictionary but "bringing it" didnt mean they were fireballers. They were more than adequate high school pitchers of what I have seen over the years in the SOC, with a couple of exceptions. It was more than batting practice and they actually could get the ball over the plate. Just to add to the story several of the Gallia Academy girls have signed with DII schools for softball. I chatted up a couple of the dad's from Gallia and they were shocked at the performance.

But as I said as well, they will need a few breaks and maintain their performance to make a state run, could happen but may not.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

they are division 3 right? what teams will be a challenge come tournament time in that district or region?

Return to “Softball”