Burg Softball

Burg#1
JV Team

Burg Softball

Post by Burg#1 »

Any input on Wheelersburg Softball this season- have not seen much talk about it- I think that they should be pretty solid this year- i was told that they have the entire infield back along with a couple solid outfield players back- should be a good season- probably see a good test at thunder of tha valley( symmes valley tourn) playing D-1 schools along with lancaster tourn. any thoughts

Tartanblue
SEO

Re: Burg Softball

Post by Tartanblue »

didn't they cut like 30 players last year because of such a big turnout? If so, could be just as good a turnout again this year

Burg#1
JV Team

Post by Burg#1 »

tartan blue i dont think it was that many but there was alot that was cut- i heard that they have a lot out now for this years tryouts

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

That is problem with that many girls going out for a team.....

A problem any coach would love to have. I believe my neighbors daughter is trying out for Burg this year as well. With that many girls trying out even a senior can not slack and will always be pushed by an under classman

Burg#1
JV Team

Post by Burg#1 »

Where are all the Burg faithfull- lets here some input on this years team- will they dominate soc 2 and make a run in the tournaments? thoughts- how will they do against the west girls- who will challenge the burg this year?

SBlover
Freshman Team

Post by SBlover »

The Burg should be a solid contender this year for the SOC 2 title. They have Chelsea Chaffin back pitching, Lanie Clay is going behind the plate(so I've heard, and she is great anywhere), Kate Staker should be on SS, Dani Hall on 3rd. Hopefully they will have some girls to fill in 2nd and 1st solidly..I know they had cuts yesterday.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

IMHO--They need a jv team! :)

SBlover
Freshman Team

Post by SBlover »

Yes they do!!! But you know " why ruin a good thing" or " It's an honor and prestige to be on the Wheelersburg softball team and why degrade it and be like other schools with an JV team"..Gosh JV teams are such a disgrace...grrrrrrr.. :evil:

Burg#1
JV Team

Post by Burg#1 »

you know they have needed a jv team for several years but since they dont i dont know about a disgrace- i think coaches philospy is to have that many girls to inner squad- i watched them practice recently and they look good when they split the girls up and inner squad i know its not the same as game experience but im sure the younger girls should get a lot of playing time once the girls get a pretty good lead on a team. ;-)

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

True, the girls get some playing time and it does help keep the score down but I would like to see them get more playing time. Even if they only went to one or two JV tournaments a year, it would be that much more time for the younger girls to get to play. After all, that is what most of them practice for.

But then I can't offer to coach so I am not in any position other than to wish for a JV team for the girls, I really can't do anything about it.

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

The thing with having a JV team is trying to find teams to play. I think there is maybe one team in southern ohio that has a JV team and that is Waverly. If you do find teams you are going to have to travel and on top of that you are going to have to try to schedule everything around varsiry games and practice. Not having a JV team hasn't seemed to be much of a problem in recent years so why start now.

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

South Point will field a JV team for only a few games we have 18 kids on the roster so some kids will play both ways.

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

wemufans wrote:South Point will field a JV team for only a few games we have 18 kids on the roster so some kids will play both ways.

well two then lol.

Burg#1
JV Team

Post by Burg#1 »

Well said bleed blue- great point lets say you have 2-other teams to play against and what kind of experience do you get beating up on two teams with the talent that this team has versus playing younger kids against varisty teams when they get to play in the game. i think that coach will play them as much as possible- and i think the varsity will score a lot of runs to get the younger girls in. they should be fun to watch. ;-)

Orkan
Waterboy

Post by Orkan »

Not quite correct. All of the schools across the river (KY) have JV teams, due to the fact they can play jr. high kids. It's not much of an inconvenience to travel to Greenup Co., Raceland, Russel, etc. to play. All of those "logisitical problems" are overcome by the baseball teams in our area. The real reasons are just not talked about.

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

Orkan wrote:Not quite correct. All of the schools across the river (KY) have JV teams, due to the fact they can play jr. high kids. It's not much of an inconvenience to travel to Greenup Co., Raceland, Russel, etc. to play. All of those "logisitical problems" are overcome by the baseball teams in our area. The real reasons are just not talked about.

would you like to fill us in on what the real reasons are then. What good is it going to do the girls who don't get to play that much to play Jr. High kids. They are getting a lot better playing against their own team in practice than playing against girls who are in the 7th or 8th grade.

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

I wouldn't be so quick to judge...I have seen some excellent softball players over in Kentucky that were in 7th and 8th grade. Some of them could play right up against high school varsity teams. So if Wheelersburg JV doesn't want to play other JV teams because they are going to "beat up" on them and won't get much out of it or they don't want to play Kentucky JV girls because they are in 7th and 8th grade and would also probably beat up on them...then you are out of options! Might as well stop complaining then. So sorry that other area schools cannot keep up with the almighty Wheelersburg program. (joking obviously). The way I see it any experience for your JV players is better than no experience. I wouldn't be so picky as to who the JV girls are playing against as much as that they are getting to play...it is better than sitting in the dugouts.

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

Here's the way i see it. It hasn't hurt Wheelersburg not to have a JV team in the last 8 years so why start now. It hasn't stopped the girls from coming out for the team either. If it aint broke don't fix it. Those girls who sit in the dugout to get quite a bit of playing time throughout the season.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

;-) ;-) ;-)

All right, after reading that, all I could think of was that we should drop JV baseball because I watched them beat up on a lot of other teams last year. Obviously having a JV baseball team does nothing to help out the varsity anyway. And they should get plenty of time playing on the varsity once the baseball varsity gets far ahead as they did frequently last year.

;-) ;-) ;-)

Seriously though, I wasn't trying to stir up controversy but to argue that having an active JV program would hurt the current program as it is set up is not logical. Arguing that giving the younger kids a half a dozen games a year for them to play the whole game would be detrimental to their development? I find that to be an odd concept.

Why do any of our varsity programs have JV teams? We have JV contests for Football, Soccer, Volleyball, Boys and Girls Cross Country, Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, Boys track, Baseball, Girls Tennis, Boys Tennis. JV Girls Track, Swimming and Golf fully participates in the smaller meets along side the varsity without replacing them. Of our 16 varsity sports, the only exception to giving the JV opportunities to develop without taking playing time from varsity is Softball. For some reason, the other sports think the extra experience helps develop players. Maybe they are all wrong.

Cutting girls means some may come out for track and that makes me happy. Their numbers could use help this year. But I can see the advantage for the kids to have the extra opportunities and truly feel that it would only make the program stronger in the long run.

To me, a JV team is the obvious next step in the development of a program. I don't expect it to happen any time soon. But it is more a question of 'when' rather than 'if'.

SBlover
Freshman Team

Post by SBlover »

It's also wouldn't hurt either. I'm not saying play a full schedule of JV games either. Burg breeds softball players they start with Little League and go on up they have an awesome program thats why they turn out so many good athletes. It wouldn't hurt for the ones sitting the bench to get more playing time in. It's not like their aren't enough coaches to do a JV team. And no I'm not a disgruntle parent either. :122249

Return to “Softball”