Winter dreamin' ?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Winter dreamin' ?

Post by ManitouDan »

Hey all you softball lovers --think a indoor facility could ever be built/sustained in scioto co ? We played in a small indoor facility last weekend and got me thinking about the need for something similiar in Scioto co.

My thoughts were if you make it multi-purpose it might have a shot. Offer pitching/hitting lessions . And rental cages also. Doesn't actually take a huge building to do this. the place we were at only had 20-25 feet high roof. Lights/roof are protected by netting. Add some astro/field turf and a concession stand you have yourself a indoor softball facility.

As many empty buildings as there is in scioto co maybe someone could suggest one . Am I crazy ? MD

Liberal:(n) A person so open minded their brains fell out .
Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

I belive Portsmouth at one time had one of these and it closed down. If I remember right the name of it was the Power Alley.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

I'm not just thinking cages --I'm thinking about a place where softball could be played 4 or 5 months a year. On a full field or close to it. MD

PirateMike
Waterboy

Post by PirateMike »

My kid also played indoor earlier this year in Akron. That indoor field had dirt but it would not be necessary. One of those large buildings at the fair grounds would probably be big enough if you played with either left or right field at only about 140 feet and anything that pops up and hits the netting on the ceiling is an out. I am not sure who is in charge of those buildings or how often they are occupied but the nets could be set up in a few hours after the initial cable was strung.

COACH1
Riding the Bench

Post by COACH1 »

The building for this is the old Wal-Mart in New Boston perfect for parking the building is big enough ,the site is right in the middle of everything.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

:?: :?: :?: I don't think so MD

fpcoach
Freshman Team

Post by fpcoach »

Back in September I call the company that is handling the Wal-Mart account several time but they will not talk to you unless you’re a corporation. Also there are many support columns throughout the building; cuts out a full field area or even an infield area.

The buildings at the fair grounds are open on the sides and also have support columns.

The Wal-Mart building could be uses for several things 12 months a year, but, like I said earlier, you need to be a corporation to deal with them. I have some investors that are willing to put into the project.

I am going to kick this horse again; we, the softball community of Southeast Ohio, need to come together in a joint effort with unity in labor, resources, finances, and cooperation to provide our kids the best opportunity to grow as athletes not only in sports but life as well. End of soapbox.

I just would like to see our kids get a fair shake!

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Count me in ! Really something smaller can be used , does'nt need to be a huge building. Trying to heat the walmart building would be really costly but it was the ceiling supports that immediately red flagged that place in my head. anyway no one has said I'm crazy yet .

Maybe some civil cash could be secured. When I get time i'm going to scout out some spots. Fastpitch is growing leaps and bounds, as a community we would be better off being ahead of this movement , not catching it late. Would be great to hear all comments on this idea. Thanks MD

COACH1
Riding the Bench

Post by COACH1 »

MD,
How big of a building are we talking about 100x100 the buildings at the fair grounds are you talking about where they have shows or where they keep the livestock. They don't have sides on them you would have to put sides on them to heat it. I didn't think about the supports in Wal-Mart. If you find a building I would be interested to put some money up and take a chance you either make it or go broke its just money.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Coach--I'm not familiar with those buildings at the fairgrounds , so I can't comment on those. My bro' has his nose is every piece of available real estate within 30 miles of here --I'll pick his brain and see whats available . Good that people are interested. There is no person that I would not be willing to work with . MD

fpcoach
Freshman Team

Post by fpcoach »

There are a lot of good people with the right intentions in this area and on this forum. If we are serious, I think we should form an options search committee and discuss the notion; who's with us?

If you are familiar with Google groups, we can start a private brainstorming group (members only) and discuss different topic any time with the entire group from your computer and not leave the house. We would just need to meet to get this started.

Reply, call (740) 285-7566, email me at dvkeller@roadrunner.com , or PM me and lets us know if your interested.

Don't let this be a topic that we talked about on a forum; let practice what we preach; lets take it to the next level.
Thanks,
DK

fpcoach
Freshman Team

Post by fpcoach »

Southeastern Ohio Softball Club's Google Group. If you would like to join and read and/or create topics about our area softball events, players and coaches, become a member and join the group; IT'S FREE.

Click on the following link to get an Google Account
https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAcco ... 253Dgcphpp

Once you get to the Google front page http://groups.google.com/about mid-way down, type in Southeastern Ohio Softball Club in the (Search for a Group Box)

Click on the Southeastern Ohio Softball Club Link. Then click on the Sign in and apply for membership.

Return to “Softball”