ohsaa investigation/ Minford

osumufan
SE

Re: ohsaa investigation/ Minford

Post by osumufan »

Coaches and AD both are at fault on this one. It clearly states in the rules on the OHSAA when coaches can begin practice, first day of scrimmages and first day of season are ...etc. shame on them for not paying attention! Of if they thought no one would notice ....Yeah Right! opposing teams are paying attention !

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

from the OHSAA website

B. SPECIFIC REGULATIONS — Grades 9-12
1) Coaching, tryouts and instruction may begin — February 25, 2013.
2) First game — March 30, 2013

then what
Varsity

Post by then what »

Any update on the post season ban? They have the tournament drawing Sunday May 5th.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

From what I heard no post season.

Buckeye24
Varsity

Post by Buckeye24 »

If Minford gets by with this, then every team who violates the rules should too. They're there for a reason. You break them, you get punished.

Gopher
Varsity

Post by Gopher »

then what wrote:Any update on the post season ban? They have the tournament drawing Sunday May 5th.
Guess you will know on Monday..............................then what :?:

then what
Varsity

Post by then what »

I heard yesterday that they cannot play in the post season and no SOC awards? I also heard they are getting looked at for using the same umpire (Dillow) for every home game. Is that a rule that you cant use the same umpire for every home game?

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Guys, this is pretty cut and dried! And ignorance is no excuse! Teams travel out of State all the time, it's not hard, but you must get prior approval and play in sanctioned games, Minford clearly did not do this. I will also note this is not a new rule.

SouthernohioSB
Freshman Team

Post by SouthernohioSB »

Minford has not used Dillow for every home game. Yes he has done several but there is no rule that you can't use the same umpire. I know he did not do the Waverly or West game. It is hard to get umpires for many schools. There are not enough umpires in the area. Most umpires are already booked or working on next years schedule. If an AD drags his feet they just get who is left.

Gopher
Varsity

Post by Gopher »

Here is the response I got from our resident rule expert on another forum:

"No rule I'm aware of prevents this. Well, certainly none of the playing rules in the rule book. Maybe there's some obscure OHSAA rule I've never seen before. I do not now, nor will I ever, claim to be an expert on state administrative rules. That's something that, as an umpire, I don't need to deal with, so I don't bother learning them!

Rule or not, we are always taught to avoid anything that could even loosely be construed as showing favoritism toward one team of the other. For example, you should avoid assigning an umpire to work a game where a family member might be participating- even if the umpire is the most upstanding, nonbiased and honest person on the planet. Honest as he may be, if it presents even a whiff of a hint of a perception of possible favoritism, better to just find another neutral umpire.

Having the same umpire for every single home game presents more than a whiff of possible favoritism. I would think that you'd want to avoid that, even if there's no rule against it. You're just asking for somebody to take exception and complain. "

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Gopher_the_K wrote:Here is the response I got from our resident rule expert on another forum:

"No rule I'm aware of prevents this. Well, certainly none of the playing rules in the rule book. Maybe there's some obscure OHSAA rule I've never seen before. I do not now, nor will I ever, claim to be an expert on state administrative rules. That's something that, as an umpire, I don't need to deal with, so I don't bother learning them!

Rule or not, we are always taught to avoid anything that could even loosely be construed as showing favoritism toward one team of the other. For example, you should avoid assigning an umpire to work a game where a family member might be participating- even if the umpire is the most upstanding, nonbiased and honest person on the planet. Honest as he may be, if it presents even a whiff of a hint of a perception of possible favoritism, better to just find another neutral umpire.

Having the same umpire for every single home game presents more than a whiff of possible favoritism. I would think that you'd want to avoid that, even if there's no rule against it. You're just asking for somebody to take exception and complain. "
Just to continue a bit the umpire probably should not work with or work for one of the head coaches.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

The rule in question is a no doubt. The umpire complaining sounds like sour grapes due to being beaten by a superior team. Quality officials though do not want to continually work the same team or more than 2-3 times

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Since I still plan on coaching for a few years let me first state---All officials are paragons of integrity! Now that's out of the way, as a coach I think it would work to your detriment to always have the same officials at home (I understand the advantage of having Homer and Son) but you also have to play on the road . If officials know they won't get games at my place I have to think they take that in consideration on the calls that are bang bang and could go either way.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

Yes, Minford will not be advancing past regular season play this season, but they will be looking to win out in the remaining SOC games and capture an outright SOC II championship. A first for the Minford softball program since 1997.
Proud to be a Falcon.

WhiteWhiskers
JV Team

Post by WhiteWhiskers »

This whole thing is definitely the results of the AD and the Coach not doing the minimum called for in their job discription. The OHSAA does not make and print rules just to kill trees. The rules are made available so everyone concerned with a high school sport knows what to expect. It is imcumbent that the AD and the Coach know all the rules and not to do so is a dereliction of their duty. It is such a shame that these two can not be punished and the innocent girls could continue playing the game which they love and have devoted much time and energy. Shame, shame on you two for not doing your job and costing the girls the most important part of their season; getting to play to "Go To State."

At the soon to be Spring Athletic Banquet, hold your head up high and smile, thinking that you have done such a good job.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Lets be real here ! What advantage did Minford gain by playing down there. It's not like they got a sneak peek at a league team so they could game plan for them. What advantage did they gain? It it a rule ? Yes it is and they should be punished "they " being the coach and AD a suspension is warranted for the coach. But to punish the kids is bull !! I know Minfords coach he is a very good coach and constantly credits his girls with there hard work being the reason for the programs recent succses in his time there.. But it is crazy for the OHSAA to punish the kids. Those games they played are no different than if they would have scrimaged local teams no real advantage. It's a shame these girls are being robbed of a post season .

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

you play 7 games( 4 that were going to be "regular season games" and 3 other scrimmages , while everyone else has only played 2-4 ( all scrimmages) its a big advantage. With the bad weather we had this spring everyone was struggling to get scrimmages in. great idea to go south but you have to follow the rules.

ON THE ROCKS
Riding the Bench

Post by ON THE ROCKS »

I can smell a little JEALOUSY!!! out there .. prob a Parent of another school ... if u cant beat them on the field call OHSAA.. really what over 14 innings of ball... I would bet the farm that all schools around start hitting and instruction early ... better watch u could be next ... did the falcons play clay this yr?? :122249 :122249

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

No Clay was not on Minford's schedule this season.

Return to “Softball”