Burg Softball

Burg#1
JV Team

Re: Burg Softball

Post by Burg#1 »

There is actually plenty of great coaches with no daughters in the program that could take their travel ball experience and guide a jv team very well. It is a good feeder program as long as the right people are guiding it. ;-)

Orkan
Waterboy

Post by Orkan »

drrabbit nailed part of it. This is not the place to discuss the rest of it. Don't think for a second that the players that come out of the burg were developed by the high school program. If you really want to see how much development these younger players get, go watch one of their practices. There will then be no question in your mind why a JV program is needed.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

Give SP a call if you have a lot of subs on the bench maybe they will play a game or two of JV

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

I think all will be alright when its all said and done.
Last edited by bleed_blue on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

drrabbit wrote:;-) ;-) ;-)

All right, after reading that, all I could think of was that we should drop JV baseball because I watched them beat up on a lot of other teams last year. Obviously having a JV baseball team does nothing to help out the varsity anyway. And they should get plenty of time playing on the varsity once the baseball varsity gets far ahead as they did frequently last year.

;-) ;-) ;-)

Seriously though, I wasn't trying to stir up controversy but to argue that having an active JV program would hurt the current program as it is set up is not logical. Arguing that giving the younger kids a half a dozen games a year for them to play the whole game would be detrimental to their development? I find that to be an odd concept.

Why do any of our varsity programs have JV teams? We have JV contests for Football, Soccer, Volleyball, Boys and Girls Cross Country, Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, Boys track, Baseball, Girls Tennis, Boys Tennis. JV Girls Track, Swimming and Golf fully participates in the smaller meets along side the varsity without replacing them. Of our 16 varsity sports, the only exception to giving the JV opportunities to develop without taking playing time from varsity is Softball. For some reason, the other sports think the extra experience helps develop players. Maybe they are all wrong.

Cutting girls means some may come out for track and that makes me happy. Their numbers could use help this year. But I can see the advantage for the kids to have the extra opportunities and truly feel that it would only make the program stronger in the long run.

To me, a JV team is the obvious next step in the development of a program. I don't expect it to happen any time soon. But it is more a question of 'when' rather than 'if'.

It's just hard to find teams with JV softball teams. Most of the other area teams struggle to field a full Varsity team let alone a JV team. I would be willing to bet that the playing time that these girls get against some of the weaker teams on the schedule would be equal to what they would get if they played a JV schedule.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Are there not JV softball tournaments?

Ours boys JV track team does not do a full schedule but there are always one or two meets that the varsity does not attend in which they compete as well as any small meet where everyone can run.

Personally, I would think that if such a thing as a JV softball team ever came to be, it would start with one or two JV softball tournaments and a few games with teams like South Point, Greenup, Russell and Ashland. Goodness knows that JV soccer never plays a full 16 game schedule. They get 8-10 JV games plus mop-up duty as needed to fill their 32 halves.

Burg#1
JV Team

Post by Burg#1 »

where are all the burg faithfull ;-)

Burg#1
JV Team

Post by Burg#1 »

i dont see anybody touching them in soc this year- unless they take themselves out bats are strong- pitching and defense is very strong

westsider01
Waterboy

Post by westsider01 »

bleed_blue2324 wrote:Here's the way i see it. It hasn't hurt Wheelersburg not to have a JV team in the last 8 years so why start now. It hasn't stopped the girls from coming out for the team either. If it aint broke don't fix it. Those girls who sit in the dugout to get quite a bit of playing time throughout the season.

Who are you kidding??? The girls that sit in the dugout do not get much playing time, I don't know what games you have attended. :roll: An earlier post stated that Wheelersburg breeds girls for softball, which is true...so why not start a JV team and let them do what they have been taught to do from day one. Sitting the bench is only good for sore butts.

mangywulf
Waterboy

Post by mangywulf »

Gallia Academy has JV team and plays pretty full schedule

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

All of the SVC play a JV team and many are very competitive. I think Most of the SEOAL teams have JV softball.
If you wanted games you could find them.

ladymohawk
Riding the Bench

Post by ladymohawk »

It's too hard to field JV teams because once a girl gets cut as a freshmen she usually doesn't go back out. And if she does come back out she is handicapped by not playing/practicing from the year before. Yes, starting a new program is always hard at first but once you start playing JV ball you will find, after a couple of years, that the program will stay. It's like I tell my daughter, JV is pre-varsity practice, it's what you learn at this level that will help you win in the next. It's no different than Jr. High. And I fully support Jr. High Softball, in fact, I think that the schools in Southern Ohio need to be organizing it. Akron/Canton/Cleveland and Youngstown all have Jr. High Softball and Baseball as well as JV Softball. Good luck to Mark this year in NW 2nd year of Jr. High Softball! As well as all of the Jr. High Teams in Scioto County. And let me take the oppurtunity to say thank you to the parents and coaches that make that league possible.

Burg#1
JV Team

Post by Burg#1 »

What on earth is going on with Wheelersburg Softball- past four years SOC champs- never NEVER mercied by anyone the past four years, players qutting what is going on- can anyone explaine-

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

I know alot of folks are not too crazy about the bald guy that does the book, and his verbal remarks. I'm also
sure that's not the real problem though.

High Plains Drifter
Freshman Team

Post by High Plains Drifter »

That's funny......he's a teacher at west high school.

tanner
Waterboy

Post by tanner »

2 girls quit in two weeks can't ever remember a girl quiting the Wheelersburg Softball team.. Then M.Knapp states she is no longer pitching. Seems like there is a great divide amongst the girls this keeps up there will be more losses in the future.

fast1
Riding the Bench

Post by fast1 »

Burg is blessed to have all that talent. Knapp is Sr. and coach is looking down the road. They have a solid defense, so what if the other team puts ball in play? Offensively they can flat out hit. Who ever coaches these girls in the summer and winter deserve some credit. The HS season is too short and not enough time to practice to have young ladies playing at that level year after year.
Sorry to hear girls are quitting. SB teaches life lessons. Quitting is never an option in life.

tanner
Waterboy

Post by tanner »

Knapp and Staley are Juniors. Newsome is a Freshman.

fast1
Riding the Bench

Post by fast1 »

tanner wrote:Knapp and Staley are Juniors. Newsome is a Freshman.

My bad. I didn't know what I was talking about. :oops:

Ptown Playmaker
Varsity

Post by Ptown Playmaker »

If the ship is sinking.....find out WHO really wants to play (regardless of who they are or what grade) and go down fighting and giving total EFFORT!

Return to “Softball”