Sports seasons and Covid safeguards

mglight88
SE

Sports seasons and Covid safeguards

Post by mglight88 »

Can someone explain to me what happened to Covid safeguards during basketball season and tournament. During seaon play, Schools could only have 15 percent cap for games players had to be in masks on the bench, but come regionals and state, bleachers were nearly full at southeastern. State game at Dayton, both team benches no masks, coaches no masks, players and coaches were high fiving and hugging each other.
Rules for spring. masks to be worn, no high fives, no hand shakes, no fist bumps. no celebrating homeruns, six feet distance in dugouts. Now most schools will suopport 15 player rosters, three coaches, statistician, and trainer, and most school dugouts are the same size. No possible way all could keep 6 feet distance.
I understand about safety concearns, but if inside gym during tourmnents cn alter Covid rules, why would spring sports (Outside) go back to extreme.
Anyone thoughts ?

baseballrocks
Riding the Bench

Re: Sports seasons and Covid safeguards

Post by baseballrocks »

There should be NO restrictions outside. Period.
The kids go to school together all day, so what is the difference?
I know they wear masks at school, but they don't after school when they hang out.
When it came down to OHSAA money, the attendance was expanded for Basketball curiously. (Regional/State)
Also, I have not seen those rules for the spring seasons yet.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

baseballrocks wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:50 pm There should be NO restrictions outside. Period.
The kids go to school together all day, so what is the difference?
I know they wear masks at school, but they don't after school when they hang out.
When it came down to OHSAA money, the attendance was expanded for Basketball curiously. (Regional/State)
Also, I have not seen those rules for the spring seasons yet.
https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows.net/ ... ements.pdf

Most of the rules referenced by OP appear to be what NFHS is requiring nationally for this spring.

The one that is going to be a real trip is the mound conferences having to be 6 feet apart.

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

Why would mound conferences have to be 6 feet apart when basketball huddles weren’t 6 feet apart? I’m so sick of politics..

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

It's all for SHOW People! No one is following the Science! The only reason OHSAA and Schools are doing what they are doing is for Liability reasons. Schools are so afraid of lawsuits now a days they will do whatever! Take off the masks go back to OUTSIDE Normal and allow these kids to play the game the way it should be played. Also, if a pitcher or player licks their fingers then the ball must be removed and the coach must run out and sanitize their hands. SMH :roll:

baseballrocks
Riding the Bench

Post by baseballrocks »

No spit balls! Gaylord Perry would be out of a job.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

IC it players makem a play on the ball in the outfield and upm rules dead ball, because players wern't 6 feet apart. Or as baserunner gets tagged out on a infield play, and then ump calls time for the ball, and glove to be sanitized be play to continue.

baseballrocks
Riding the Bench

Post by baseballrocks »

So much for the hidden ball trick.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I’m going to lose my mind the minute one of my pitchers goes to his mouth and I have to run sanitizer out to him.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:24 pm I’m going to lose my mind the minute one of my pitchers goes to his mouth and I have to run sanitizer out to him.
Prayers from Jackson

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

The rules and exclusions are absolutely ridiculous. Every obstacles the powers to be wanna implement can easily be mitigated, so all can enjoy the season.

As far as I'm concerned it is a power grab from all levels of government and those charged with dreaming up these extreme measures.

I'll bet money the extreme measures will be lifted during the state championships so the extreme elitist can justify their attendance.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

softball Covid rules are even worse. basketball tournamenst teams were high fiving, no masks, softball each team playing no masks, but dugouts have to wear masks outside in pretty weather. players connot home plate celebrate their own player hitting one. Coaches pre game officials I understand, but no team dugouts. if one of your players is sick she don't play. Nobody else should have to wear masks or congradulate their own players HR.
Doesn't make since, if tourments players can hug and high-five each other in a gym, but why can't softball team outdoors

baseballrocks
Riding the Bench

Post by baseballrocks »

Nobody pays attention to Dewine anymore. He has tried to scare this state for a year.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

So, I got to check out four different contests (as a spectator) at four different venues this past week. All four different venues did things completely differently: there was a venue that was super hard-ass on temperature checks and mandating masks; another venue in general just asked folks to spread out if they weren't in the same household (but didn't give anyone grief on masks); a third venue only asked that you wore a mask coming in and exiting; a fourth venue literally enforced no protocols for spectators whatsoever (had people literally standing all over each other, nary a mask to be seen.) And all of these venues were typically different in their location, as well as differences in being public-school facilities, private-school facilities (a non-OHSAA school) and a private facility for-rent.

I found myself most comfortable, and fine, with the second and third venues I described. The first venue was super over-the-top that it was ridiculous. At the same time, WTF fourth venue? The AD does nothing? [The thing to note, here, also is that the schools are supposed to keep the health departments abreast of the scheduled events.]

Across all four contests, none of the umpires had said anything about the fans or warned that the contest would be paused until the fans were compliant. Only one of the contests was there an ump that was hammering home the on-field, in-game protocols laid out by NFHS this season.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

formerfcfan wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:42 pm So, I got to check out four different contests (as a spectator) at four different venues this past week. All four different venues did things completely differently: there was a venue that was super hard-ass on temperature checks and mandating masks; another venue in general just asked folks to spread out if they weren't in the same household (but didn't give anyone grief on masks); a third venue only asked that you wore a mask coming in and exiting; a fourth venue literally enforced no protocols for spectators whatsoever (had people literally standing all over each other, nary a mask to be seen.) And all of these venues were typically different in their location, as well as differences in being public-school facilities, private-school facilities (a non-OHSAA school) and a private facility for-rent.

I found myself most comfortable, and fine, with the second and third venues I described. The first venue was super over-the-top that it was ridiculous. At the same time, WTF fourth venue? The AD does nothing? [The thing to note, here, also is that the schools are supposed to keep the health departments abreast of the scheduled events.]

Across all four contests, none of the umpires had said anything about the fans or warned that the contest would be paused until the fans were compliant. Only one of the contests was there an ump that was hammering home the on-field, in-game protocols laid out by NFHS this season.

who Cares? It's an outside venue, stay spaced and allow people to enjoy the game as well as play the game. If someone is uncomfortable with going then stay home! Choice! Also, umpires should not become Covid Police and Call the game the way they should call it. Let the Administration take care of mask wearing, etc....

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

That’s what I’m saying — the one venue wasn’t having people spaced out at all.

Site administrators, even if it is the AD of the hosting school, have a responsibility to keep the fans safe. Break up the behavior that’s unsafe.

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:15 am That’s what I’m saying — the one venue wasn’t having people spaced out at all.

Site administrators, even if it is the AD of the hosting school, have a responsibility to keep the fans safe. Break up the behavior that’s unsafe.
It should be the fan's choice to sit where they want. If they don't like it, move spots or stay home

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:25 am
formerfcfan wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:15 am That’s what I’m saying — the one venue wasn’t having people spaced out at all.

It should be the fan's choice to sit where they want. If they don't like it, move spots or stay home
Yeah, no. “Don’t like it, then stay home” isn’t an actual solution to this problem.

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:34 am

Yeah, no. “Don’t like it, then stay home” isn’t an actual solution to this problem.
Neither is being a chump scared of his own shadow, figured you’re a soccer fan

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:10 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:34 am

Neither is being a chump scared of his own shadow, figured you’re a soccer fan
Huh?

Return to “Baseball”