SOC 2 all conference team

burggrad82
Freshman Team

SOC 2 all conference team

Post by burggrad82 »

Thoughts on who will make the team 1st and 2nd and give your reasons.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Re: SOC 2 all conference team

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

With the season the Pirates have had and the success of all the players you could just about put every starter on the first team. It would hard to not place the entire starting 9 on the SOC All-Star team whether they make 1st team or 2nd team they all deserve to be there. I know other teams in the league have great players as well, but 1 through 9 in the Burg starting lineup are as good as anybody else in this league and that doesn't even take into account the reserves who in my mind could be starters for any other team in the league. That's just how loaded this team is.

Enemy of State_98
Riding the Bench

Post by Enemy of State_98 »

I agree if you went just on talent the burg should have quite a few selections but it would be hard to get that many kids on the 1st and 2nd team.

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

Wheelersburg 9 starters +1(I know we don't get that many but we should). The Burg should get that many because they played that well.
Minford 5, Waverly 5, I thought Waverly and Minford were about even talent wise. West 2, South Webster 2, Oak Hill 2, Northwest 1. The rest have some good players and they will get their picks.
I didn't make all the games so some of the teams I didn't see play. Good luck to all the boys making the teams or not. Good luck to Jared, Shawn, Adam, Dustin, Wes
on playing at the next level I know you all will make an impact.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I thought Wes Lyon was going to Shawnee to play soccer. Is he going to play baseball as well?

Good luck to Jordan Russell also. I'm sure he will a great asset to any college he chooses to go to. Great pitcher, hitter, and I hear he's one helluva catcher too.

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

thanks bg77 for the kind words. I think Wes might be a 2 sport athlete thats what I hear.

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

Wes Loop From webster. that kid has toothpicks for arms, but when he hits the ball it is power all the time. he may not be setting wrecords for homeruns or anything, but the fence has some major dents in it from line shots to the gap. he also plays a mean CF, and has a pretty good arm

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

I haven't seen South Webster play yet but I hope to catch the game between them and the Pirates this week. I will look out for Wes. I do know the Montgomery boy I figured him as one of the 2 from SW.

knuckler
Waterboy

Post by knuckler »

Ryan Robertson from Waverly should be a no brainer. This kids gives it his all every day and every play. He probably has the best arm in the area from the outfield and he is also a hell of a young left-handed pitcher. He also puts up the numbers.

Any young kid that plays baseball should act and play like Mr. Robertson. He is CHARLIE HUSTLE, JR.!!!!!!

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

it is terrible that kids can play their guts out and put up great numbers but never get noticed because there team is below .500

BeAWarrior
Riding the Bench

Post by BeAWarrior »

When will the All-Confrence and All-Distirct selections be out?

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

swbfan thats part of the process for picking these teams to have alot of players picked from your team you have to win games and under .500 baseball doesn't get you very many votes. not fair not my rule. I thought last year Wheelersburg had 2 players that should of been POY but they where underclassmen and its a Senior award.

Enemy of State_98
Riding the Bench

Post by Enemy of State_98 »

I agree burggrad 82 if you are under .500 chances are that you dont have that many great players as the teams that are having great years. I dont think its fair either but thats the way it is. I think you should just pick the best players and thats who makes the team if thats 10 guys off one team and 1 guy off another than thats way the it should be. It's the same way in football and basketball as well the team that wins the SOC gets the most votes and it goes down from there.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

I don't even think that is the process. Coaches don't vote on all league.

I am pretty sure the league has a set number of all league for 1st, 2nd, and so on. For example. Wheelersburg won the SOC so they would get 4 1st teamers and 2 or 3 second teamers. If you finished last you might get 1 first teamer and one 2nd teamer. The only choice is up to the head coach to choose who is first and who is second. This process puts a head coach in a tough situation if you ask me.

volsfan
Freshman Team

Post by volsfan »

The awards are nice, and players should be recognized for their accomplishments, but doesn't hold a candle to winning that state championship trophy and that is where your true talent is shown.

The POY is not a senior award, and never has been it is what is says "Player of the Year" not Senior Player of the Year, but as I have stated in the past, the coach has to show up with stats on his players in order for the other coaches to make a decision or vote, if you have the stats to show on the table at the meeting, then no questions about who the player is, but no stats leads to no POY for that team. I know for a fact that coaches need to show up with player's stats. Wamsley should/would have been POY last season and Wamsley and possibly Russell should share it this year, in my opinion. Burg needs to get stats and names of players on the OHSAA website for all coaches to know about, this will lead to All-State Selections and other awards for Burg players. All HS coaches need to be doing this for their players.

red ninja
Waterboy

Post by red ninja »

The player of the year last year was Luke Lester from Minford and deservingly so. His stats were better than Wamsley's last year as he had a BA of over .700. This year Wamsley may be the Player of the Year but last year Lester definitely had the stats to back up the award.

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

I didn't say Luke didn't deserve it I just said 2 other boys on the Burg team had just as good of stats as he did. You had 2 boys that hit over .425 plus didn't lose a game pitching in the SOC betting minford both games its just my opinion. they where Juniors not a senior. MY opnion is in the same line as Vols the best player(s) that year. Lester was 0.00 against the Burg .700 come-on that would be a state record.

red ninja
Waterboy

Post by red ninja »

[quote][/quote] .700 come-on that would be a state record.
I don't know about that but I know that is what it read on his award he received for offensive player of the year award for minford. The stat book from last year shows it. And where did you see that he batted 0.00 against burg. I dont remember off the top of my head but i cant imagine him going two games without a hit.

burggrad82
Freshman Team

Post by burggrad82 »

I stand corrected if you saw it I believe you. This year maybe Tri-players
all three from the Burg IMO

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

.700???

Didnt happen. I can assure you of that. I absolutely hate to disagree with someone from Minford :122249 , but anytime a kid can hit over .500 in high school it becomes a well known feat. Sure he was a good player, but anyone hitting over .700 would probably get drafted regardless of what part of the country or conference they played in.

Return to “Baseball”