Chesapeake Panthers Baseball 2012

pantherdad
JV Team

Re: Chesapeake Panthers Baseball 2012

Post by pantherdad »

XxBUCKEYESxX wrote:I have been to a few games this year and I have also seen most of these kids play through the years and I can tell you right now that the main problem with this team is the coaching...its been a long time since the peake has had a good baseball coach and it looks as if it may be even longer...
You say you've seen most of these kids play through the years...yet blame this year's coaches for a 3-10 record when that already matches the wins of the past two years combined...with essentially the same boys (except the freshmen). I can tell you what I saw last year, from a playing and especially a discipline standpoint, should be a fineable offense. This year, we at least have behaved with class.

For discussion sake, if "XxBUCKEYESxX" was named coach tomorrow, what 3 things would you change 1st?

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

Great game tonight Panthers...even though it isn't complete. 6-6 going to the 10th inning, suspended due to darkness. Way to come back after falling behind twice. Nice job on the mound by Curry...who also had two hits. 10 hits in total for the Panthers tonight....great job. Noble and Lester also had multiple hits. Now, let's keep the improvement going tomorrow against Wayne!

Go Peake!

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

Panthers follow up an absolute dreadful game against Wayne with a "bounce back" win at River Valley, 4-2 in a darkness shortened game. B Noble pitched well, Panthers manage to squeeze just enough runs through the muck to take the "W". Raiders come to Peake tomorrow.

Go Peake

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

CXoach Boster is a man who loves and knows baseball. Now, I don't care if the coach was Bobby Cox, he had a LOT of rebuilding to do this year, and it's inevitable that they weren't gonna make anyone forget the Reds. Let's just root them on, and encourage the players.

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

Peake wins again! 3-2 thriller with River Valley. Another extra inning affair...Peake wins in the 8th on a Hunter Bare game winning triple....helping himself as he was also the game winning pitcher going the distance with 10Ks.

Great job Peake!

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

Great game to watch tonight against Raceland....despite ending in 7-7 tie. Down 7-1, Peake battles back with chance to win in bottom of 7th. Great hitting by the whole team. Congrats to Hunter Bare for the game tying homerun.

Finish strong Peake and remember....once playoffs start, there are no records and anyone can be beaten.

Go Peake

ovcsportsfan
Waterboy

Post by ovcsportsfan »

If a player is struggling and isn't doing what he's put on the field to do
Why not sub with someone who can. At least make it appear your trying
to win a game.

ovcsportsfan
Waterboy

Post by ovcsportsfan »

Seniors (very capable seniors) that didn't even get put in on the last home game of the season. Now
there some coaches of the year.

unclebob
JV Team

Post by unclebob »

Yeah seniors should get to play on senior night, at least an at bat! It's not like you all were in the running for the league champioship on the line that night!

ovcsportsfan
Waterboy

Post by ovcsportsfan »

They claimed all season freshman were playing for expierence but all my years
You play freshman when your loosing big or winning big. This coach has 3 players he'd play
Come hell or high water. With expierence comes improvement - I have yet to see it out of the
Freshman.

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

All Seniors started on Senior Night. That was against Fairland. The Ironton game was not Senior night.

There are 4 seniors that deserved playing time this year. They all started a significant amount of the time. The kids who haven't gotten playing time shouldn't just blame the freshmen. One senior hadn't played in 5 or 6 years, yet was still able to win a starting spot. What do the players that have been on the team for two or three years and didn't win a starting spot have to say about that? That isn't freshman bias. No, players won spots on this team because there was nobody better at their postion, not because of what grade they were in.

If you don't think the Freshmen improved, then you don't want to believe that the Freshmen improved. Obviously, you believe seniors should play just because they are seniors. You and I will never agree on that. If a senior isn't head and shoulders above a freshman at his position, than shame on the senior. The program will be better next year and beyond because of the growing pains this year. Sorry that this year's Seniors won't get to experience that on the field, but they were part of the turnaround.

Hopefully, we can win tonight and play for a Sectional Championship before we put this seaason in the books for good. But when the season is finished, I wish the seniors well in their futures and hope they will support this group going forward.

Go Peake

ovcsportsfan
Waterboy

Post by ovcsportsfan »

There isn't a senior a there that hasn't played in 5 or 6 years, not sure who your talking about.
There is one I have in mind, he doesn't always play, should but dont. He has played for several years in huntington. One team being an 18+ playing 1st base. I cant think of anyone who hasn't played for 5 or 6 yrs. If you think next year will be better, well stay positive. If this group hasnt got it by now.
I haven't meet a coach who has disrespected their seniors like these have. Seniors play last home game. Yea seniors started senior night- but they didn't play the whole game like a couple freshman was going to come in a do something amazing- I have t seen anything to aww me yet this year. No better than years before.

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

Congrats to the Panthers on beating South Point in the Sectional Semi-Final tonight, 6-1! Great pitching by the Freshman Lester, very solid defense by the Senior outfield, and good hitting at the top and bottom of the order.

Freshmen accounted for 6 of the 9 hits, but Seniors accounted for 4 of the runs driven in. Lester goes 7IP, 6 hits, 1 run, 7ks. Every Panther on the field made a defensive play tonight, with Bare playing a great center field. Noble behind the plate teamed with first baseman Arthur on a key pickoff in the last inning to essentially squash any hope South Point had of starting a 7th inning rally.

Great job Panthers! The future is bright...but we are still winning in the present! Keep the bus rolling boys! On to Portsmouth West on Saturday!

Go Peake

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

ovcsportsfan wrote:There isn't a senior a there that hasn't played in 5 or 6 years, not sure who your talking about.
There is one I have in mind, he doesn't always play, should but dont. He has played for several years in huntington. One team being an 18+ playing 1st base. I cant think of anyone who hasn't played for 5 or 6 yrs. If you think next year will be better, well stay positive. If this group hasnt got it by now.
I haven't meet a coach who has disrespected their seniors like these have. Seniors play last home game. Yea seniors started senior night- but they didn't play the whole game like a couple freshman was going to come in a do something amazing- I have t seen anything to aww me yet this year. No better than years before.
It was a great win tonight...truly a total team effort. It would be awesome to see these boys pull an upset on Saturday and advance out of the Sectional.

As far as the future...more talent comes next year. Next year's Sophomore and Freshman group finished top 4 in District 11 for 3 years in a row during their 10-12 little league days. There are 2 freshman starters this year that weren't even on that team and good sources have it that a very talented former Panther may be a part of the 2013 squad. If that happens, I have no doubt this group will compete very well in the OVC next year.

But the 2012 group is still playing...and winning. Lets root them on.

Go Peake

ovcsportsfan
Waterboy

Post by ovcsportsfan »

So who is it again that hasn't played in 5 or 6 years.

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

ovcsportsfan wrote:So who is it again that hasn't played in 5 or 6 years.
Not sure why you are so insistent on the name....I won't say the young man's name, but he does play outfield and has played 2b a couple of times and bats at or near the top of the lineup most times. He has said he hadn't played in 5 years. Again, that's what I've heard, and that's what he's said....don't know if that means he hasn't played High School ball or what.

I'm really not trying to bicker back and forth here. I understand you are not happy with the way things have gone. Things most certainly have not been perfect. There are definitely improvements that need to be made next year. But to say things aren't better and don't show signs of improving for the future is not reflective of reality. 6 wins this year, 3 wins combined the two years prior. This team could very easily have won 10-12 games this year. No way you could say that about the last two years. The team discipline is a night and day difference. Ask the opposing coaches...they will tell you this is not the same Panther team they've seen in the past.

I'm finished debating whether the sky is blue or green. This year is what it is. I'm looking forward to the next game and the next season.

Go Peake

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

Panthers go down 7-0 to Portsmouth West in the Sectional Final. Thus ends the 2012 season.

This season was most definitely a rebuilding year, if not just rebuilding the attitude toward success. We did struggle at the plate, struggled in the field at times, especially early in the year. But the fresman mistakes slowed down to a trickle by year's end. The upper classmen started to provide those contributions you would expect of juniors and seniors. If the season re started tomorrow, there is no question in my mind the year would go much more favorably.

But the team's strength next year should be pitching and defense. The freshmen on the corners got great experience, freshman shortstop was more than solid over the second half. The outfield and catcher positions will see new starters, but a solid 2013 freshman class and this year's freshmen that got lots outfield time should handle the job just fine. We could very well see an all Sophomore starting pitching staff. At least one senior will contribute, but there are a couple of next year's freshmen that will contribute as well.

To all returning Panthers....keep working on your hitting and by all means keep playing this summer. Speak of Chesapeake Baseball with pride again. Urge people to come watch you play next year. Next year is wide open with possibilities....be excited about that. Do what it takes over the next nine months so that in late February 2013, you are ready to claim your positon on the field and Chesapeake's position atop the OVC.

To the seniors...Bare, B. Noble, T. Noble, Chapman, Ransbottom and Zimmerman....good luck to you all and thank you for your hard work this year. You are to be applauded for sticking with this team despite the dark days in prior years and the bumpy road that was this season. I hope as you look back on your career, you find those moments that make you smile and make it all worth while. As this team moves forward, it will be the foundation that you helped lay that all future successes will be built upon.

To the coaches, thank you for your time and hard work. The field has never looked better and the boys have a new level of expectation. Keep your positive attitude, keep believing in our kids. Keep coaching the boys up and I look forward to you building on what you started this year.

To next year's freshmen, get ready to work and be part of a team that EXPECTS...no, DEMANDS success. Those of us that know you have high expectations for you next year.

To Chesapeake...get behind this team. Basketball is king in the village...but there is plenty of room for Baseball beside the throne. There is going to be a lot of excitement off the east end of the football field over the next several years. Embrace it. Be a part of it. You can never have too many Champions.

I am sad that there is no more Peake High School Baseball to watch this year. I don't want to wish my life away...but next February can't get here soon enough!

GO PEAKE!!!

Peake Baseball
Waterboy

Post by Peake Baseball »

I agree with everything that Pantherdad said above. Only thing questionable is the all sophomore starting pitching rotation. I don't agree with that only because the simple fact is only Lester throws hard enough to be dominant or atleast helpful. Curry throws decently well but not major speed as the same for the Henson kid. I'm excited to see next year and for more Peake Baseball. Lots of returning experience with sophomores Lester, curry, Henson, and eddy. Senior leadership will have to come from Walters. In all I can't wait to see what happens!

Return to “Baseball”