McArthur legion post 303

Run & Gun
Riding the Bench

McArthur legion post 303

Post by Run & Gun »

Will there be a team this summer? or an Oak Hill/Jackson county team?

Run & Gun
Riding the Bench

Re: McArthur legion post 303

Post by Run & Gun »

nothing from hawkeyepierece?

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

I believe that HP is done with Legion ball.

I've been corrected outside this forum, he's somewhat involved, in a detached fashion...... ;-)

Run & Gun
Riding the Bench

Post by Run & Gun »

I'm just looking for somewhere to play ball this summer!

threesportathlete09
Riding the Bench

Post by threesportathlete09 »

Hawkeye told us after the last game of the season last year that we would have a team weather he was the coach or not, and i believe because weither you know Hawkeye in person or not you know he always does whats best for the kids. He puts us before himself and doesnt regret a single minute of it. He will fight for us when he thinks we have been wronged and does whatever he can to keep us out of trouble and i believe that for some of us that is exactly what Post 303 has done. It was never all about winning it was about building friendships and having fun playing the game we love, so weather there is a team or not i know that Hawkeye did all he could to make sure there was one. Thanks Hawkeye for all you have done.

oldlefty
Waterboy

Post by oldlefty »

threesportathlete09 wrote:Hawkeye told us after the last game of the season last year that we would have a team weather he was the coach or not, and i believe because weither you know Hawkeye in person or not you know he always does whats best for the kids. He puts us before himself and doesnt regret a single minute of it. He will fight for us when he thinks we have been wronged and does whatever he can to keep us out of trouble and i believe that for some of us that is exactly what Post 303 has done. It was never all about winning it was about building friendships and having fun playing the game we love, so weather there is a team or not i know that Hawkeye did all he could to make sure there was one. Thanks Hawkeye for all you have done.

in the famous words of larry the cable guy " that's funny right there"

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Might be funny but true.

rivercat
Freshman Team

Post by rivercat »

Well said threesportathlete09.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Sorry it has taken so long to respond. First, I want to thank everyone for the kind words, especially threesport, that means a lot to me. I will thank you in person the next time I see you. Secondly, as far as the legion and as it was so widely reported, I stated that if we didn't find a coach for this upcoming season we would fail to have a team. That was wrong of me. I should have never done that, because it created a lot of doubt in some young people minds, guys who just want to play baseball. However, like them, I was frustrated because I felt (right or wrong) that I was doing a disservice to the players. I don't considered myself a baseball guy, I know a lot about the position of catcher (played it and spent many hours studying it) and have a better understanding of the game as a whole, but to be employed as mentor in this situation is not fair to the young men involved. I wish that we had the caliber of coach that has been afforded other teams, such as Scott Burke of Lancaster, Brent Chadwell of Athens and someone I admire sincerely and respectfully, Chris Weber of Pickerington. I have always felt that we had a very good program, just not the leadership in the day to day games to keep our program on the right track. There has been individuals that had promise to commit but in the end only to let us down and fall on the shoulders of Bob Grillo and myself.

But the great news is, we hope we had found that guy. Will Haislop, who coached the Jackson County squad last season has joined forces with us. He is a fair minded and good man who has has a ton of baseball knowledge. He will handle all coaching decisions, line-ups, pitching etc. Don't worry I will always be around, still handling the paperwork, the umpires and maybe just keeping the book, and maybe kidding with and yelling at Tommy. Now as long as the kids will come out and play and support THEIR local summer baseball, then we can be successful. Successful in providing the opportunities to play, to enjoy a awarding experience and to build life long friendships. To me, that is what it is all about, the play, the enjoyment and the friendships.

So YES, we are having a team this summer, I hope that we will kids from the area excited and eager to play. Tryouts will be announced soon. Any questions, call me directly 740-352-6205, be glad to answer them. Again thanks for the kind words, and lets keep this thing going.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

HP- This is great news for your Legion, and more importantly, for the kids. I hope that you get a large group of players who are committed to the entire season, and see it through. That is how you improve your skills, as a bb player.

Best of luck to the VC legion team, hopefully, I'll have the opportunity to take in a game or two of yours this summer. And no need for you and the judge to pay "homage" to me like you did the last time you saw me, I try to remain "inconspicuous" LOL!!!!!!

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Steely Dan wrote:Best of luck to the VC legion team, hopefully, I'll have the opportunity to take in a game or two of yours this summer. And no need for you and the judge to pay "homage" to me like you did the last time you saw me, I try to remain "inconspicuous" LOL!!!!!!

Impossible, we have electronic scanners at the county line alerting everyone in Vinton County that we have been intruded upon and besides that your aura is a shining light of wonderment and awe.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

hawkeyepierce wrote:Impossible, we have electronic scanners at the county line alerting everyone in Vinton County that we have been intruded upon and besides that your aura is a shining light of wonderment and awe.

They just told you those were "intruder alerts". I heard they are more like "house arrest monitors" for the natives... :lol: Has Grillo ever offered you an ankle bracelet as a gift?

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Why yes, he has. Hmmm? :lol:

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

You guys are going to have to come and pay me a visit to help me get this doggone thing off my ankle....... :lol: I don't want the Vinton County Sheriff bagging me as soon as I hit the county line!

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Steely Dan wrote:You guys are going to have to come and pay me a visit to help me get this doggone thing off my ankle....... :lol: I don't want the Vinton County Sheriff bagging me as soon as I hit the county line!

Crisco...

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

OK, I'll be waiting around (yea, you bet) for you and Drago to show up and help me. I would have to be flown in by medi-vac to get HP to help out. I think that my best bet is to throw myself on the mercy of the court and see if "The Judge" is willing to help out an innocent man...........OK, let's leave it at that, please!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Baseball”