Valley drops to D IV?

swbaseballfan
All State

Re: Valley drops to D IV?

Post by swbaseballfan »

i dont think it is cheating either, it is just doing what you have to do to get an edge on the competition. if an extra year of school is what it takes to be bigger and stronger and to get a beter scholarship for athletics then go for it. i think it would be easier to shoot up some steroids once a week so you can have that year of your life back LOL....ok, i take that back

Hitops2.0
Varsity

Post by Hitops2.0 »

SWbaseballFan wrote:i dont think it is cheating either, it is just doing what you have to do to get an edge on the competition. if an extra year of school is what it takes to be bigger and stronger and to get a beter scholarship for athletics then go for it. i think it would be easier to shoot up some steroids once a week so you can have that year of your life back LOL....ok, i take that back

now the cat is out of bag at SW too.....they dont hold back for sports at all (previous post) ....they shoot up ....NOW I see how it goes ...LOL..

I know one thing ......I would not have wanted my son in school at age 5 .....just ask a teacher what age is better 5 or 6 I know the answer to that one from living with Kindergarten teacher for 22 yrs

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

HItops wrote:
SWbaseballFan wrote:i dont think it is cheating either, it is just doing what you have to do to get an edge on the competition. if an extra year of school is what it takes to be bigger and stronger and to get a beter scholarship for athletics then go for it. i think it would be easier to shoot up some steroids once a week so you can have that year of your life back LOL....ok, i take that back

now the cat is out of bag at SW too.....they dont hold back for sports at all (previous post) ....they shoot up ....NOW I see how it goes ...LOL..

I know one thing ......I would not have wanted my son in school at age 5 .....just ask a teacher what age is better 5 or 6 I know the answer to that one from living with Kindergarten teacher for 22 yrs

:lol: :lol: :lol: your living every mans dream!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

countyhobo wrote:Ditto Natural, every school does it. It all evens out in the end. Look at the Burg this year in basketball,this is almost the same team that spanked everybody in biddy ball and now look at them. People don't like sucessful ball teams and that is always the one thing they always blame the burg for. I just wonder if valley is counting open enrollment.
And to think that we make fun of WV. They do have a rule on holding kids back. Once they enter 7th grade, no holding back

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

G.W.A. wrote:
countyhobo wrote:Ditto Natural, every school does it. It all evens out in the end. Look at the Burg this year in basketball,this is almost the same team that spanked everybody in biddy ball and now look at them. People don't like sucessful ball teams and that is always the one thing they always blame the burg for. I just wonder if valley is counting open enrollment.
And to think that we make fun of WV. They do have a rule on holding kids back. Once they enter 7th grade, no holding back

And in Ohio we have a rule no holding back kids after the first 5 days of your freshman year. Not breaking the rule. No Problem. Dont like the rule get it changed.

TheNatural
Riding the Bench

Post by TheNatural »

fan_of_swankerpine wrote:
TheNatural wrote:What's the difference between holding them back at 12 or 13 instead of 5 or 6? And someone correct me if I'm wrong here on this point, but I had always heard that Burg had/has a Pre-1st grade which was their avenue for holding back. I'm not associated with Burg but this is just what I have always heard.
It's not that hard to understand the difference. When kids are first starting school, nobody really knows what they will be in the future. As compared to jr. high, you can see who the real athletes are going to be.
Pre-1st grade? Isn't that just kindergarten? As far as I know every school has kindergarten.
But to a point, you can tell who the athletes will be when first starting school. If their parents, older siblings, etc. were good athletes is one way you can tell; and you can also tell if they already have good fundamentals and skills. I'm pretty sure everyone in Lucasville knew Blake Yates was going to be a good athlete when he was little. At the same time, I've seen plenty of great junior high kids peter out early in high school. There are so many different variables that you just can't say for sure who will do what.

I have not understood the purpose of starting them in school and seeing how they do in junior high and then holding back. I think it should be done from the start. But on the other hand, I know each indvidual case is different so there isn't much point in trying to understand.

I know it sounds like I'm arguing every little point which is not my intention. I guess I can see some advantage to playing 3 years in 7th and 8th grade for the same reasons colleges allow one to redshirt. But I also think those same advantages could be gained by being a year older each year from K-7.

Also, Pre-1st is Pre-1st and Kindergarten is Kindergarten. Pre-1st comes after Kindergarten. Valley had this program for a couple years, back about 10 or 12 years ago I think.

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

when your not in jr high though the leagues you play in are age based, so even if you get held back your still playing with kids your age untill you reach jr high, then when your in 8th grade you will actualy be the age of a high school freshman, and some kids start school late, so if they are held back they could possibly be playing in the 8th grade but be the age of a high school sophmore. i think that is why people do it in jr high instead of earlier

Burg#1
JV Team

Post by Burg#1 »

I think this is a good situation for all of the SOC, with Valley in D-4 and the Burg in D-3 at least if they both make it to the regional finals they will not have to play against each other. This way they can both represent the SOC. Best of luck to both teams

TheNatural
Riding the Bench

Post by TheNatural »

SWbaseballFan wrote:when your not in jr high though the leagues you play in are age based, so even if you get held back your still playing with kids your age untill you reach jr high, then when your in 8th grade you will actualy be the age of a high school freshman, and some kids start school late, so if they are held back they could possibly be playing in the 8th grade but be the age of a high school sophmore. i think that is why people do it in jr high instead of earlier
That is a good point. That is correct for little league baseball but if I remember correctly, basketball and football are usually grade based. So the tricky part about baseball (if I'm getting my numbers correct) is that if you are a year older than normal grade age, you could be a 13 yr old 6th grader. 12 is max age to play Little League and it now seems that Junior League is becoming irrelevant because of junior high ball. So you could be in 6th grade and be too old for little league but not the right grade for junior high ball. You could be SOL for a year of baseball unless junior high makes an exception for you, OR, you get enough older kids in 6th grade and/or 7th grade kids to play junior league after junior high.

Well.... I've been off topic for too long. Good luck to the Indians this year. They've got some talented kids and should have a good season.

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

Burg#1 wrote:I think this is a good situation for all of the SOC, with Valley in D-4 and the Burg in D-3 at least if they both make it to the regional finals they will not have to play against each other. This way they can both represent the SOC. Best of luck to both teams
good point!!!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Burg does has a Pre-1st grade, which is between K and 1st grades. As far as kids being held back in Jr High, I know of 2 cases of Burg parents requesting their child to be held back after 7th grade. One of them was granted, but the other was denied, so they transferred to another Scioto Co school that would allow the hold back and then transferred back to Burg after completing 1 year at the other school. The only rule about this is the age limits for jr high and high school athletes by the OHSAA. Based on the 2 cases I know about, if you are a good student, they will not grant the request, but if you are not too great in the classroom they may allow it. This is the OHSAA age limit for athletes...

High school students (grades 9-12) who turn 19 years of age prior to August 1, 2011, are ineligible for interscholastic athletics.

Seventh- and eighth-grade students who turn 15 years of age prior to August 1, 2011, are ineligible for 7th-8th grade athletics
but are eligible to participate in high school athletics.

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that most cases of kids being held back in Jr High are kids that would have been 17 or barely been turning 18 at graduation. Otherwise, a lot of kids could violate this OSHAA rule. Personally, I was 17 and turned 18 the summer after I graduated and I feel I would have been more ready for college as well as a better athlete my senior year if I had been held back at some point along the way. I was a member of the national honor society and was always on the 'A' honor roll, so academically I was ready to graduate, but as a young man, I was not ready for college.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

They've beat Burg in everything else this year, I dont see why baseball would be any different..LOL

Joking aside...they STILL have to play Burg X2 in conference play, so that statement is kind of stupid. I do however think they will make a serious run in D4...they were close to being D6 in football this past season....could you imagine if that group was D6..

Alitown
Freshman Team

Post by Alitown »

Keller was in pre-1st at valley!! I think this was the reason he was POY in football!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bear42
Freshman Team

Post by Bear42 »

Alitown wrote:Keller was in pre-1st at valley!! I think this was the reason he was POY in football!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ouch! lol..Very funny!

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

SWbaseballFan wrote:
fan_of_swankerpine wrote:
countyhobo wrote:Cant beat burg, have to do something
This has nothing to do with not being able to beat Wheelersburg. I doubt they made boys leave the school just so they could play D4 baseball.
if wheelersburg would quit holding boys back so they can be 1 year older and stronger they might drop to D4 as well
What does this have to do with baseball. The OHSAA counts the number of boys in the 9,10 and 11th grade to determine divisions, so how would holding back players decrease the number of students. It would make for more students. Why would any school holdl back students to make the enrollment higher?

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

LOL ^^

Return to “Baseball”