Freshman Team

Valley drops to D IV?

Post by oldpgguy »

Just saw where the line is 127 or less and Valley comes in at 126

fan_of_swankerpine
Freshman Team

Re: Valley drops to D IV?

Post by fan_of_swankerpine »

If this is true than this area just got a new front runner in the D4 tourney.

oldpgguy
Freshman Team

Post by oldpgguy »

I agree noticed Coach Schuler was a voter in D IV so I researched a little bit and found it out

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

state champs 2012

countyhobo
Riding the Bench

Post by countyhobo »

Cant beat burg, have to do something

fan_of_swankerpine
Freshman Team

countyhobo wrote:Cant beat burg, have to do something
This has nothing to do with not being able to beat Wheelersburg. I doubt they made boys leave the school just so they could play D4 baseball.

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

fan_of_swankerpine wrote:
This has nothing to do with not being able to beat Wheelersburg. I doubt they made boys leave the school just so they could play D4 baseball.
if wheelersburg would quit holding boys back so they can be 1 year older and stronger they might drop to D4 as well

TheNatural
Riding the Bench

Post by TheNatural »

SWbaseballFan wrote:
if wheelersburg would quit holding boys back so they can be 1 year older and stronger they might drop to D4 as well
Honestly, I get a little tired of hearing about the age of Burg kids. There is nothing illegal about it and I think in almost every case, it is beneficial for the kid, not just in sports, but academics and everything else.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. And if I understand correctly, there are quite a few of the better athletes at Valley Middle School that have been held back and I think it's great. I know I will keep my child back as long as possible when the time comes.

countyhobo
Riding the Bench

Post by countyhobo »

Ditto Natural, every school does it. It all evens out in the end. Look at the Burg this year in basketball,this is almost the same team that spanked everybody in biddy ball and now look at them. People don't like sucessful ball teams and that is always the one thing they always blame the burg for. I just wonder if valley is counting open enrollment.

fan_of_swankerpine
Freshman Team

Not every school holds kids back. South Webster never holds kids back for sports. We had 1 kid whose parents held him back for basketball in jr. high but he isn't even in the state anymore. Wherever he is, he is a senior now. Holding kids back is the stupidest thing ever. If you have to cheat to have a more competitive team than you shouldn't have a team at all.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

fan_of_swankerpine wrote:Not every school holds kids back. South Webster never holds kids back for sports. We had 1 kid whose parents held him back for basketball in jr. high but he isn't even in the state anymore. Wherever he is, he is a senior now. Holding kids back is the stupidest thing ever. If you have to cheat to have a more competitive team than you shouldn't have a team at all.
Actually he's in Mt Vernon somewhere, and I know who you're talking about. Could have been the #2 guy this year.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

fan_of_swankerpine wrote:Not every school holds kids back. South Webster never holds kids back for sports. We had 1 kid whose parents held him back for basketball in jr. high but he isn't even in the state anymore. Wherever he is, he is a senior now. Holding kids back is the stupidest thing ever. If you have to cheat to have a more competitive team than you shouldn't have a team at all.
what if that is the best thing academically and socially for the kid? If it helps them succeed in life who are you to judge? Its HS Sports.....

fan_of_swankerpine
Freshman Team

bengalfan76 wrote:
what if that is the best thing academically and socially for the kid? If it helps them succeed in life who are you to judge? Its HS Sports.....
If they are held back for academic reasons, they probably can't play because of grades. And would a kid with social issues so bad that they must be held back even choose to play a sport?

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

That's a joke. I believe the Principals son was held back in Jr. High.

TheNatural
Riding the Bench

Post by TheNatural »

bengalfan76 wrote:
If they are held back for academic reasons, they probably can't play because of grades. And would a kid with social issues so bad that they must be held back even choose to play a sport?
IMHO, This is ridiculous. Please explain to me how that is cheating, especially if there are no rules against it. My point is that parents should wait for the last possible moment to start their child in school because of how beneficial an extra year of maturity would be academically, socially, and athletically. There was never any mention of holding back because of BAD grades or BAD social issues. You are lying to yourself if you think that holding a kid out as long as possible is not beneficial in the areas mentioned, whether they have bad (or even good) academic, social, or athletic skills.

And yes, I know of many individual cases where kids have repeated 8th grade for example. And almost all of these cases were solely for athletic purposes, but thats not the point I'm talking about. Either way, this is still not breaking any rules that I know of (correct me if I'm wrong), so it's still not cheating.

To reiterate, my biggest point is that the child should be kept back as long as legally possible and feasible for the parents.
countyhobo wrote:Ditto Natural, every school does it. It all evens out in the end. Look at the Burg this year in basketball,this is almost the same team that spanked everybody in biddy ball and now look at them. People don't like sucessful ball teams and that is always the one thing they always blame the burg for. I just wonder if valley is counting open enrollment.
Open enrollment (also legal) has definetly helped Valley in previous years. As of right now and within the past year or so, most of Valley's athletes are homegrown. I would be really surprised if they had a significantly higher number of open enrollment students compared to other area schools.

fan_of_swankerpine
Freshman Team

TheNatural wrote:
"IMHO, This is ridiculous. Please explain to me how that is cheating, especially if there are no rules against it. My point is that parents should wait for the last possible moment to start their child in school because of how beneficial an extra year of maturity would be academically, socially, and athletically. There was never any mention of holding back because of BAD grades or BAD social issues. You are lying to yourself if you think that holding a kid out as long as possible is not beneficial in the areas mentioned, whether they have bad (or even good) academic, social, or athletic skills.

And yes, I know of many individual cases where kids have repeated 8th grade for example. And almost all of these cases were solely for athletic purposes, but thats not the point I'm talking about. Either way, this is still not breaking any rules that I know of (correct me if I'm wrong), so it's still not cheating.

To reiterate, my biggest point is that the child should be kept back as long as legally possible and feasible for the parents."

This isn't a matter of starting school at a certain age to benefit a kid. I see nothing wrong with having a kid start school a year later than most. This is a matter of holding a kid back to make your school benefit from him/her having the athletic ability to improve a team.
What I said about bad grades and social life was in response to bengalfan76's question; "what if that is the best thing academically and socially for the kid?". I was saying that their argument for holding back a student was irrelevant because a student who needs to be held back for those reasons stated, would most likely not be involved in a sport to begin with.

TheNatural
Riding the Bench

Post by TheNatural »

What's the difference between holding them back at 12 or 13 instead of 5 or 6? And someone correct me if I'm wrong here on this point, but I had always heard that Burg had/has a Pre-1st grade which was their avenue for holding back. I'm not associated with Burg but this is just what I have always heard.

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

south webster has pre kindergarten, but it is used for kids who are not ready for kindergarten, or their age makes them young for their class. i dont think even wheelersburg would use pre 1st grade as a way of intentionally holding kids back at that age. they wait to see how many ppg they have in jr high and that determines if they are held back or not. i think it is safe to say if you take the non athlete students and count how many of them were held back compared to the student athletes the student athletes would out number the non athletes even though there are less of them.

TheNatural
Riding the Bench

Post by TheNatural »

ok. I would love to read some input from Burg lol, and actually be given some info as proof instead of speculation, but I know that probably won't happen.

I haven't understood the reasoning for holding back so late such as in Junior High. I think the earlier the better. Why not just hold them back from the get go? Anyway, it's apparently legal, and I still don't think it is cheating.

fan_of_swankerpine
Freshman Team

TheNatural wrote:What's the difference between holding them back at 12 or 13 instead of 5 or 6? And someone correct me if I'm wrong here on this point, but I had always heard that Burg had/has a Pre-1st grade which was their avenue for holding back. I'm not associated with Burg but this is just what I have always heard.
It's not that hard to understand the difference. When kids are first starting school, nobody really knows what they will be in the future. As compared to jr. high, you can see who the real athletes are going to be.
Pre-1st grade? Isn't that just kindergarten? As far as I know every school has kindergarten.

Return to “Baseball”