How do you think the seedings will go?

Pol pot
SE

Re: How do you think the seedings will go?

Post by Pol pot »

93Bulldog wrote:SWEEEEEEEEET!

No offense to Joe Carbone - but with him out as OU baseball coach - we could see the return of even more tournament games in Athens.

Probably not gonna get the state legion turnament back though - they blew that deal, which is TERRIBLE!
Actually Legion tournaments and lack of other games would be the result of Facilities, Grounds, and parking services than the old coach. OHIO University held Regionals as recent as two years ago, it's all about the schedule.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The LEGION TOURNAMENT WAS IN ATHENS FOR LIKE 30+ YEARS ... NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH FACILITIES, GROUNDS OR PARKING BEFORE.

THE ONLY PROBLEM CAME FROM NOT BEING ABLE TO PLAY GAMES AT BOB WREN ...

IF YOU HAVE AN HOUR (CAUSE YOU WILL NEED AT LEAST THAT), ASK TOM METTERS ABOUT THE SITUATION ...

IF YOU WANT A SHORTER VERSION, ASK ANYONE AFFILIATED WITH AMERICAN LEGION BASEBALL IN ATHENS ...

I GUARANTEE 1000% THAT IT WASN'T MOVED BECAUSE OF FACILITIES, GROUNDS AND PARKING.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

American Legion State Tournament at Beavers Field in Lancaster ...

Parking?

I couldn't even find a spot for the DIVISION IV high school baseball game their last year between Southern/Newark catholic.

Parking at Bob Wren ... you have the entire Convocation Center lot.
Athens High School ... you have the entire school parking lot.

The folks who run the state legion tournament loved Athens, loved coming here ... when they finally got fed up with not having Bob Wren available to them - they made the decision to move it.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

In 2004 we got a ton of rain and the tournament was a mess with games being pushed back left and right ... the last day, they finally got down to two teams, but were told they couldn't play the championship game at Bob Wren (too much rain was the reason given) ... Todd Nuzum and I (and a couple of other guys) worked our 'you know what' off and somehow got Rannow Field ready so they could get the game in ... after Whitehouse won the title, one of the older fellas from the American Legion who helped run the tournament came up to me and handed me $50.00 and told me how thankfull he was for all the hard work we put in during the week to have that field ready ... he also said how angry they were about the entire situation and that it may be their last year coming to Athens .... it wasn't long after that, we had no more state tournament in Athens.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Carbone made the EXACT comment that he didn't want "those games on HIS FIELD."

Uh, I do believe the name of the field is Bob Wren Stadium.

The state of Ohio University baseball and the loss of the state Legion tournament is due to one man: Joe Carbone.

93Bulldog....I did celebrate his calling it quits from OU...with a bottle of champagne!!!!

Yeah, it was more like "Gentlemen, my gift to you. To Carbone." :lol: :mrgreen:
__________________________________________________________________________________________

"Gentlemen, my gift to you. To Kilmer." — Varsity Blues :mrgreen: :) :!:

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

When the State tournament was pulled the head of the State tournament in an article from the Athens Messenger said they loved Athens and had no problem with food service, housing, parking or anything else and that there was one problem. He didn't mention his name but we all knew he meant Carbone. That is why the tournament is no longer here in Athens and honestly Lancaster has welcomed them with open arms. It will never be back.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

LOL ... Keyser

greatone ... you're right, lancaster had been wanting the tournament for years even before Athens blew it. Beavers did a nice job of building his complex, putting all that money into it, etc ... etc ...I give him credit for doing what was necessary to lure the state tournament their ... he may have 'scored the points' - but Carbone definitely got the assist on that one.

pleasanttiger
SEO

Post by pleasanttiger »

No crying for my Flyers freddie , Read it slowly so you can understand. i said i fully expected the 5. my point was the waterford seed. green got screwed. please dont say that waterford played tough teams close. loss is a loss
Last edited by pleasanttiger on Mon May 06, 2013 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

LOL we get it, y'all hated Carbone.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

danicalifornia wrote:LOL we get it, y'all hated Carbone.
LOL

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Can I throw in the fact he didn't recruit Scott Stricklin, who went on to have a great playing career at Kent State ... then goes back to coach the Golden Flashes to the college world series last year!

That was probably the biggest blunder of all ...

o.k. - I'm done now.

:)

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

93Bulldog wrote:Can I throw in the fact he didn't recruit Scott Stricklin, who went on to have a great playing career at Kent State ... then goes back to coach the Golden Flashes to the college world series last year!

That was probably the biggest blunder of all ...

o.k. - I'm done now.

:)
Or Jake Hale...All- American at Ohio State

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Wow, wow guys...

The biggest blunder Carbone made was not recruiting Andrew Coble...
Who Led Marietta to TWO DIII World Series...

Or maybe the fact that he didn't recruit any of the guys we all mentioned...maybe if he put in the effort recruiting locally that he did from keeping the local teams off his field his career would have been brighter at OU...

Will this Rain go away today fellas?

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

pleasanttiger wrote:No crying for my Flyers freddie , Read it slowly so you can understand. i said i fully expected the 5. my point was the waterford seed. green got screwed. please dont say that waterford played tough teams close. loss is a loss

So you are saying the #2 seed Eastern decided to screw their-self so they could screw Green and play a harder game? LMAO :cry: baby

pleasanttiger
SEO

Post by pleasanttiger »

you truely arent getting it are you freddie? Again even slower and i'll try to use small words. I thought they seeded on records and strenght of schedue, not who you wanted or didn't want to play. green had 13 wins at the time of the draw and should not have been seeded behind waterford , who had 6 wins. 13 is more than twice as many as 6 freddie. don't get excited ole buddy just giving a little math lesson. if multiplcation is to tough to check my math just use basic addition. Again not crying, wish the Flyers could have gotten to 15 wins and gotten the 4 seed but we didnt. again dont get excited freddie, oh thats alright go ahead , get excited and just have the big one < call elizabeth and tell her ur coming to join her.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Cant say I understand the reasoning behind Green being 7th instead of 6th, unless someone knew that SW could beat Waterford without throwing their best pitcher saving him for Eastern( not that I think it would matter ) this way both Green and SW will need to throw their best to advance and be forced to throw their #2 on Weds. What my problem with this sectional is ISJ and Green being forced to drive 2 hours to play a freakin sectional game when we both should be in the closer sectional. If that's crying then so be it but that's the truth.

tomcatdad
JV Team

Post by tomcatdad »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:Cant say I understand the reasoning behind Green being 7th instead of 6th, unless someone knew that SW could beat Waterford without throwing their best pitcher saving him for Eastern( not that I think it would matter ) this way both Green and SW will need to throw their best to advance and be forced to throw their #2 on Weds. What my problem with this sectional is ISJ and Green being forced to drive 2 hours to play a freakin sectional game when we both should be in the closer sectional. If that's crying then so be it but that's the truth.

I know what you mean, Trimble traveled to coal grove to a couple years ago to play ISJ in the sectionals and the trip is brutal especially on a bus.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Exactly Tomcatdad, if you remember Trimble won but seemed lackluster for the first 5 or 6 innings and I am sure the trip had something to do with that.

tomcatdad
JV Team

Post by tomcatdad »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:Exactly Tomcatdad, if you remember Trimble won but seemed lackluster for the first 5 or 6 innings and I am sure the trip had something to do with that.

oh I remember it well...I was coaching 1st base and my son JD hit the grand slam to win it.. :-D

Return to “Baseball”