Elite Travel Team for 2013

Tdriver64
Waterboy

Elite Travel Team for 2013

Post by Tdriver64 »

I am considering the thought of developing an elite 18U travel team for the 2013 summer season. It would be a program that requires great discipline and a commitment to developing great fundamentals.
I think too many times summer teams are coached by people who are self promoting and lack the ability to coach fundamentals and instill discipline.

I am simply trying to gauge the level of interest in serious, intense baseball through discipline and the teaching of fundamentals.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Tdriver64
Waterboy

Re: Elite Travel Team for 2013

Post by Tdriver64 »

I forgot to add that this would be a team comprised of southern Ohio kids. No out of state kids flown in for the weekend, no kids north of Pickaway county and no kids west of Pike county. Pure southern Ohio baseball talent.
Please give me some feed back so I can decide if its something that has enough interest to start putting it together.

Buck Nuts
Waterboy

Post by Buck Nuts »

be great to see lotta talent around for sure figure my son would look into it for sure be watchin to see wat happens!

defenserules
Riding the Bench

Post by defenserules »

1. don't most of the 'elite' players in southern ohio play legion ball?
2. Please tell me why you would want to start a program of U18 players that would take kids away from legion?
3. lastly, 'daddy' ball should be over well before u18......just sayin.

Big Jake
Riding the Bench

Post by Big Jake »

What are your coaching qualifications and would you have a son on the team?

2ndchance
Riding the Bench

Post by 2ndchance »

Think this would be great . Cant wait to see what happens with this team next year . Keep us updated

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Legion baseball is excellent baseball. The scouts already know who they are looking for and the State Tournament for Legion would be a one stop shopping trip. I do have one problem with Legion baseball and that is they sometimes select too many players to give everyone any playing time.

Tdriver64
Waterboy

Post by Tdriver64 »

defenserules wrote:1. don't most of the 'elite' players in southern ohio play legion ball?
2. Please tell me why you would want to start a program of U18 players that would take kids away from legion?
3. lastly, 'daddy' ball should be over well before u18......just sayin.

First and foremost I'm not a DADDY BALL COACH!! No longer have a son playing. I have coached high school, legion ball, middle school and given private lessons for 30 years!

All legion programs are not for all kids and they are allowed to make choices of where they want to play. I just thought another option would be good.

I can assure you that you wont be a part of a team that I would put together because your first post concerning this topic was nothing but negative and that's not an attitude I'm interested in dealing with!

Tdriver64
Waterboy

Post by Tdriver64 »

Please understand I never said one negative thing about legion ball nor did I in anyway imply it. I simply love the game and was interested in giving kids another option to compete in the summer.

OneBunter
Freshman Team

Post by OneBunter »

First of all know you are trying to get a feel for interest, but curious who you may be? Also if there should be enough interest in getting this up and going, what would be the monetary expense per kid to play and any additional travel expenses upon the families of son(s) may play?

Advice, put everything out on the table from the beginning, do not be the repeat of the Generals that tried to start up again in Chillicothe a few years back!!!

defenserules
Riding the Bench

Post by defenserules »

td64,

I am glad that you are not daddy ball! A lot of times when 'new elite' teams are being formed, it is because a dad feels his son isn't getting enough playing time/didn't make team, etc....

Also, If you are starting a new elite team - I think asking a question of why you are starting a team that would compete for players from legion ball is a fair question - please tell us the positives/reasoning for why kids should play for you and what type of schedule you will have.

Good luck with your team next year!
defenserules

NTHZONE
Waterboy

Post by NTHZONE »

First of all I think I know who this and if I'm correct he helped coach with a SOC legend and I can vouch for this mans knowledge of of baseball ! He gave my son pitching lessons when he was younger and I would also say rock solid mechanics on pitching . When this coach identifies himself to all I,m sure you will recognize the name and if youre son decides to play for this team he will be fundamentally sound to go to the next level as my son did also !

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I hope this works out better than I'm thinking it will.

It's just going to be tough to pull guys away from their Columbus or Cincinnati travel teams that they have been playing with for years, but if it's done, this could be a very good thing. The original Chillicothe Generals were able to be strong for a few years and I'd love to see a better ran version of it for next year.

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

the generals came back a few summers ago and fizzled. wheels went back into hibernation.

implantcat
Riding the Bench

Post by implantcat »

I think that this would be a great idea for southern ohio. We have been taking our son to columbus for the past four years so that he can continue to play ball during the summer against good comp. We passed on the legion ball because of what has been mentioned. My son's travel team coach is a Div. 1 assistant coach with no family ties to the team. His goal is to make the kids better ball players for their respective high schools. We would be very interested in this just because of the travel time difference for us. We average four to six tournaments and around 50 games for the summer league. Would this team offer close to the same??

ou22
Riding the Bench

Post by ou22 »

i heard there were 3

Go Bucks
Waterboy

Post by Go Bucks »

This would be a great idea and opportunity for baseball players out of So. OH. Most people don't realize that college coaches have pushed away from watching most legion teams play and are more interested in watching travel teams. Not a stab at the legion program, they are good yr in and yr out, just my take on the recruiting process.

Return to “Baseball”