Athens Varsity Baseball 2009

Rufus
JV Team

Re: Athens Varsity Baseball 2009

Post by Rufus »

I imagine Athens will have the kinks worked out and will be ready to go tomorrow night.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Nice win by the 'Dogs on Thur ... Pitching Cline Vs Wellston definitely paid off, especially with this bad weather moving in ... They played two quality opponents, earned two victories in the TVC-Ohio and can now sit back and wait for the sunshine to return (and reset the pitching rotation to fit the schedule) ... Not a bad way to start their first year in the league.

pkp76
Waterboy

Post by pkp76 »

Ok, with rain on Friday and more weather coming next week, Saturday will be a good chance to wake up the bats for good and stretch out some more arms. I am sitting in an airport killing time, help me out here. Who does Athens play on Saturday and does anyone know anything about the team? A double header on a nice sunny day will help the team to get into some kind of baseball rhythm.

bulldog0909
Freshman Team

Post by bulldog0909 »

they travel to Sheridan tomorrow for a DH. there defense is very solid,and the batting order looks to be solid through out,everyone is making contact just need to put it in the gaps.. if that happens this team is a force!

sportfolio
JV Team

Post by sportfolio »

After losing two at Sheridan, then defeating Eastern twice ion Saturday, Athens is 6-2 overall
including 4-0 in the TVC-Ohio ... big week ahead if the weather holds outE
A;exander at home Tuesday, at Meigs Wednesday in makeup and at N-Y
Thursday -- all league games

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Getting a 'W' vs Alexander is a must to get the week off to a good start...

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

The problem is losing to Sheridan who I think is DII just like us. I know we beat Vinton but most people have the last few years. With playing and getting so many wins against DIII and DIV teams in the TVC. It's possible that we can win the TVC but turn around and lose in the DII sectionals. Lets up we get out of the sectionals this year and can get a good tournament draw.

C A D
Waterboy

Post by C A D »

If any Athens fans are interested, I am posting some Athens sport photos @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithjeweler

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

If I had a dollar for every time we lost to Sheridan in the regular season (only to beat them in the tournament) I would be rich by now! :mrgreen:

Those freakin Generals hate us im tellin ya ...

(1992) - Sheridan was the no. 2 team in the entire state - they killed us both games of a double header in Sheridan mid-way through the year - we get down to Lucasville in the first round of the sectionals and all their fans talked about was going to State .... We end up pulling off a huge upset and knock em out of the tourney.

(2005 - I think it was) ... Little Phil Hewitt does it again for Athens - He pitched a beautifull game and the Bulldogs knocked off Sheridan (and Ohio State pitcher Josh Berrera) which was supposed to be one of the best teams in the state that year.

Long story short; don't underestimate the 'Dogs if they have to face the Generals in the tourney! ... Especially with a 1-2 punch like they have with Cline and Maffin, who looked really, really good Vs. Nelsonville on Thursday.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

93Bulldog...I think you are referring to the D2 tournament game in 2004. That was the year Athens advanced to the D2 regionals after beating Jackson and Sheridan in the district round. I know, I was there.

Jackson beat Josh Barerra and Sheridan in 2005 1-0 in the D-2 district semifinals at the Ross County Park near Chillicothe. One of the best games I have ever seen. Jared Humphreys in his senior season stole home for the winning, and only, run. Again I know because again I was there.

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

In legion, we (Athens Post 21) went 0-0 with Josh Barerra and Zanesville into the 10th inning and lost the game 1-0 on an error. Heartbreaker!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ksoze - I knew it was sometime around that area - 04, 05 ...

The only problem with Athens and Jackson - once they win those big games and reach the sweet 16 - they run up against Steubenville and get hammered ... I would love to see - just once - a team from SEO get passed the regionals and make it to the state tourney ...

I watched the Athens post 21 team win the state title in 1990, but never have I seen a high school team from this area reach that level of success.

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

About the closest I have seen at the high school level around Athens County was Federal Hocking a few years back. Brad Grimm was their ace. They were awesome...Grimm just ran out of innings in the middle of their regional final game (when they were winning) and it went all down hill from there.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Bulldog 64...Will the GAHS boys play a twinbill at Athens Saturday? If so, will the first game begin at 12 noon?

Also the girls will play at Athens Saturday. What time will that game start? Thanks. 4-Ever and I my come up. Looks like we're gonna have nice weather for the third straight day.

Fanofthegame
Waterboy

Post by Fanofthegame »

Closer game than was expecting against Vinton County last evening. Vinton County is improving significantly or what was up with the Dogs? Good job pitching by Grillo as well as Dan Gillespie who came in in the 6th with bases loaded and one out for a great save. Hope Athens has enough pitching to see the next week through successfully.

tigersfan88
Varsity

Post by tigersfan88 »

Marietta is playing against Athens on Tuesday at Don Schaly Stadium (Marietta College). I'm looking foward to playing Athens again and it should be a good one.

Return to “Baseball”