Stats: Real or Bogus?

eagle83
Waterboy

Stats: Real or Bogus?

Post by eagle83 »

If you look at max preps box scores, you can really see how some teams stats are way off.
Digs: you can only get a dig from an attacked ball from your opponent.
Example done right, Adena vs. Unioto.
Unioto 153 total attacks - 48 kills - 13 errors = 92 balls in play.
Adena reports 92 digs.
Wrong: Portsmouth vs. Piketon
Ports 138 attacks - 48 kills - 14 errors = 76
Piketon reports 100 digs.

Other checks: your service aces should equal opponents reception errors.
Over inflated blocks: Its only a block if it scores a point. A block covered by your opponent is not counted as a block.
How many of those are still counted?

Esully63
Freshman Team

Re: Stats: Real or Bogus?

Post by Esully63 »

eagle83 wrote:If you look at max preps box scores, you can really see how some teams stats are way off.
Digs: you can only get a dig from an attacked ball from your opponent.
Example done right, Adena vs. Unioto.
Unioto 153 total attacks - 48 kills - 13 errors = 92 balls in play.
Adena reports 92 digs.
Wrong: Portsmouth vs. Piketon
Ports 138 attacks - 48 kills - 14 errors = 76
Piketon reports 100 digs.

Other checks: your service aces should equal opponents reception errors.
Over inflated blocks: Its only a block if it scores a point. A block covered by your opponent is not counted as a block.
How many of those are still counted?
I brought this point up last year with both district 14 and OHSAA, neither of which really act as if they care. I do game films and there is a lot of misrepresentation in the stats. I believe most of it is honest mistakes as most teams use JV players to take stats. We use the assistant coaches for our stats and even with the benefit of doing game films and being able to rewind and go forward our stats are right on. While watching films I see tips not counted as kill attempts, blocks not counted as hitting errors or even hitting attempts. Many times hitting errors are not recorded. I have seen many games where girls post stats like 18 kills on 32 attempts with 0 errors for a 0.562, yet on film what you get is 18 kills, on 48 attempts, with 3 errors for a 0.312. Everyone knows the stats are for most teams not all that accurate but without the district or OHSAA actually pushing credibility in stats not much will happen as coaches are relying JV players to record stats and coaches rarely have time to redo stats by game films. I have actually found matches that went four games but in the stats for individual players they are only recording 3 sets for the match.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

I agree with your assessment and many more like that can be seen. I keep stats for Warren on digs, assists, kills and blocks and I am questioned a lot about these. For example a free ball cannot be a dig unless it is a true attack which is very rare. And as you said a block can only be counted if you score a point on it. Also I think some teams are counting serve receive as digs. In division 2 Logan Elm for example has the top 3 or 4 players in the state on digs which is impossible in my mind, but I guess I am not at those games and that is just one example of many that I have seen. I really think there needs to be some emphasis put on this if the state wants the teams to use this as a way to determine all district, and all state performers. I can tell you without hesitation that Warrens stats are pretty close but they are not perfect by any stretch. We do try to make them make sense though.

eagle83
Waterboy

Post by eagle83 »

Warrior you are correct about Logan Elm. I just looked at a couple of box scores. They reported 294 digs vs Unioto and 203 vs Circleville.
Both are impossible. Not sure how a coach could even report such stats. who ever is recording digs needs to be trained a litter better.

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

That stat from Logan Elm is laughable. You guys are right, it is impossible to rack up that many digs. Thats a good total of digs for a libero for a season of 22 matches. Coaches ( in particular the head coach ) should train their assistants and anybody who helps with stats the terminology and proper recording. The coaches know when it comes time for District voting and it diminishes the player ( not their fault ) and discredits the coach and program. Why not be honest and let your players true stats be recorded and let the votes fall where they will. OHSAA will not do any thing about it but if coaches go to the OHSVCA clinic it is addressed and help available to understand how to keep proper stats.

nickle back
Freshman Team

Post by nickle back »

After watching a game tonight at In the SVC That went 3 sets and seeing the stats reported , I am saying Bogus...

Return to “Volleyball”