SEOAL Volleyball 2013

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Re: SEOAL Volleyball 2013

Post by boo33vb »

Gallia looks to be the favorite right now. They were solid last year and i like the new coach. Had good volleyball conversations with her in 2012. I think she is a good fit and has them playing well.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

cobweb, I totally agree with your post. I think they should call the game as it is supposed to be called. And in no way was I saying the refs really had anything to do with the loss, but we all know a hammered down kill that the hitter nearly takes down the net and is called for it really kills the big momentum, where a no call on the net violation allows the rally to continue. When your on the road against better teams you need those breaks to stay close and gain your own momentum. With all that said, Gallia is the class of our league right now and Warren has some work to do to stay in contention.

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

Cobweb and Warrior, you are right in arguing ( coach must do the arguing ) this call as it happens alot. If the ball reaches the floor before the attackers arm or usually hand hits the net on her follow through then its ok and point awarded. I honestly think this call is missed alot because it happens so fast. I think in most instances the players hand hits the net or rakes the net on follow through but is missed by officials. Usually happens on an overpass in center court. I have never had an official change that call by the way. I think they are watching the ball. Some officials lay their index finger down the cable and you can feel when nets is hit it helps judge your call. The down ref should be watching the centerline but can see this too if they are in the flow of the game. Not official bashing, just making a point.

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

No excuse for missing net violations. Both officials are responsible for net violations during play. The R2 (down official) should be as far back from the standard as possible to have vision on both the net and centerline. Not sure how laying index finger on the cable helps. What if the ball hits the net going over? I think net violations are missed because the R2 is watching the ball instead of staying focused on the net and centerline. Not very many cases where the ball hits the floor before the net is contacted on follow through. It can happen but most of the time the officials just miss the net violation!!

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Tough loss last night for the lady Warriors to Alexander. Lost in 5 sets. Big outside hitter for Warren, Buzzard, is out with a broken hand from the Gallia game. Might get her back for Tourney but that is still up in the air. Now have a new rotation to learn with more underclassmen. We looked out of sync, but showed signs of improvement by the end of the game. Portsmouth tonight for the Warriors and then Waterford and Marietta.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Big game tonight with Logan going to Gallia. If gallia pulls this one out then they are pretty much locked for a share of the title. If Logan pulls off the upset, then Logan controls their own destiny still having Jackson at home and Warren on the road. League standings as of today.

Gallia 4-1 Logan (H), Portsmouth (A), Jackson (H)
Logan 3-1 Gallia (A), Jackson (H), Portsmouth (H), Warren (A)
Warren 4-2 Jackson (A), Logan (H)
Jackson 2-3 Logan (A), Warren (H), Gallia (A)
Portsmouth 0-6 Gallia (A), Logan (A)

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Warren beats Jackson in 4. Most impressive game they have played in two weeks. Puts Logan and Warren 1 game back of Gallia heading into the final week. Both Logan and Warren will be big Ironladies fans this week as they will need to knock off Gallia @Gallia for either to claim a share of the title. Warren plays Logan at Warren next Thursday for outright 2nd or possible share of title. Standings as of today:

Gallia Academy 6-1 Jackson (H)
Warren 5-2 Logan (H)
Logan 4-2 Portsmouth (H), Warren (A)
Jackson 2-5 Gallia (A)
Portsmouth 0-7 Logan (A)

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Laast night for the SEOAL and it comes down to who wins the Gallia / Jackson game to see if Gallia wins the outright title or shares it with Warren or Logan. I am a big ironladies fan right now. LOL!!

Gallia 6-1 is home vs. Jackson
Logan 5-2 away vs Warren
Warren 5-2 home vs. Logan (Senior night in Vincent)
Jackson 2-5 away vs Gallia
Portsmouth 0-8 league schedule complete

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Gallia Academy beats Jackson in 3 straight....all around 25-12

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Warren gets by Logan in 4.

Gallia win the league with Warren coming in second and Logan 3rd.

Congratulations to the lady Blue Angels.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Want to send a shout out to Coach Tyo from the Lady Warriors. Coach Tyo took her first varsity coaching job, even though she really did not want it from what I heard, and had to endure a few obsticles this year with players not being able to play and injuries. You played a very strong schedule compared to the last few years as 17 of your 21 games so far were against teams with winning or .500 records and you are 11-9 and 6-2 in the league. I know typically the SEOAL champion coach gets COY in our league, but from what I saw this year, Coach Tyo deserves some recognition for that honor as well. I don't think anyone thought we would be in position to win the league at the beginning of the year. Well done Coach and hope you are able to return next year to make a run at the championship again. Good luck Saturday to finish strong and in tourney. I think you ladies have it in you to make a tourney run if you keep it up.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Congratulation to all the ladies on the ALL-SEOAL 1st team and honorable mention. http://www.logandaily.com/sports/mays-f ... 740a7.html

I think it is quite odd though that the 4th place team got 3 - 1st team selections and the top three teams got two. Makes no since to me what so ever. After watching all the teams, there are some from Warren, Logan and Gallia that were left off that could have easily got the nod, but I am sure the stats for the Jackson girls looked pretty good. :122248 .

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

warrior90 wrote:Congratulation to all the ladies on the ALL-SEOAL 1st team and honorable mention. http://www.logandaily.com/sports/mays-f ... 740a7.html

I think it is quite odd though that the 4th place team got 3 - 1st team selections and the top three teams got two. Makes no since to me what so ever. After watching all the teams, there are some from Warren, Logan and Gallia that were left off that could have easily got the nod, but I am sure the stats for the Jackson girls looked pretty good. :122248 .

I didn't get to watch any volleyball games at all this year so I don't know of the others but the 3 Jackson girls likely did have very good stats and well-deserving of the honor. I assume Coach Martin can't vote on his own girls....and since Ports got no one and the other three teams each got only 2.....it's easily feasible that mathematically two Jackson girls were pretty certain to make it but a third may have just been outstanding against 2 other league teams and that edged them over a 3rd for the other 3 schools.

I know 3 years ago we we're 8-4 in the league in softball and the two teams we swept (easily) had as many players as we did and they were 4-8 and 5-7 in the league. Two years ago we won the league but 3rd place Gallia Academy had more all-leaguers.....but there was definite coach helping coach in our scenario.......not sure how it's possible with the outcome that happened.

Return to “Volleyball”