SEOAL 2014

warrior90
Varsity

SEOAL 2014

Post by warrior90 »

Thoughts on the SEOAL as it finishes its last season with 5 teams: I think it will be another very competitive season with Warren and Logan being the front runners with Jackson and Gallia close behind. I think Portsmouth will make it tough for teams as well. It would not surprise me if it comes down to the last game of the season as it did last year and any of the top four could win it.

IMO and in no particular order:
Warren: Returning 4 starters from last years team, but have a couple of holes to fill with an outside hitter and back row players graduating and always tough in the sweat box at Warren High School
Logan: Returning several starters and has talented hitters with a new coach who looks like she is bringing enthusiasm to the team
Gallia: Lost two big hitters and a top setter which means they will have some big shoes to fill. Had a very good JV team with good hitting and will be very competitive
Jackson: Has several back from last years team and as always will be well coached
Portsmouth: Has almost everyone back and I think will win some games especially at Portsmouth.

Thoughts??

warrior90
Varsity

Re: SEOAL 2014

Post by warrior90 »

Warren loses a heart breaker at Marietta. Won set one and three, lost sets two and four. Last set Warren up 14-9 and a potential game winning point was called against Warren on a play I have never seen called before. On a over pass, the Warren middle jumped and put the over pass straight down. The call was that she power dumped on a block and the point was given to Marietta. I disagreed with the call, but it was not the end of the game. Marietta outplayed Warren on the next 6 points on some very long and spirited volley's. Marietta won 16 - 14. Great comeback for them, tough loss for us. Gallia up next at Gallia on Thursday.

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

Warrior90, bring us up to speed on the SEOAL as since we ( Chilli ) left we are left guessing who's making noise. Is Warren atop right now as they were one tuff cookie to beat while in the league 06 thru 12. We had some epic battles both home and away. I understand Logan has another new coach, i thought Kira Brooks was doing a fine job building a program, too bad as Logan has way too many vb coaches in a short time. Can't happen overnight. Got to see Gallia at the Unioto tourney and look like they have talent and are young according to a parent i spoke with. Jackson? Portsmouth? Good luck/skill to all on the 2nd half of your season.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

First half of the league play is done. Doesn't take long with only 5 teams.

Gallia is leading the league as of now with a 3-0 record and they played Jackson last night and I do not have the results. They have beaten Warren and Logan on their home court and to win the league outright they have to hold serve on the road. They might be young but they are the scrappiest bunch I have seen play in a while. They just do not let the ball hit the ground.

Warren is 3-1 in the league with the win over Logan last night. They control their own destiny as three of there remaining 4 league games are at home with the end of the year game at Logan. Warren has good talent but is prone to making mistakes. If they limit the mental mistakes they can hang with most teams around.

Logan is 2-2 and is a talented team. Like warren they too have mental mistakes that haunt them, but they have two of the hardest hitting players in the league. With playing Warren and Gallia at home, it would not surprise me if they can pull off one or maybe two wins. New coach seems to be doing well and is highly knowledgeable about the game.

Jackson is 1-2 and played gallia last night. I do not think they have a chance for a SEOAL championship, but if they get on a role can cause problems for the top three.

Portsmouth is 0-4 but are by far the most improved team in the league. They took Logan 5 sets, Jackson 4 sets with the last two sets real close and Warren all three sets were close. I think they could still win one or two games this year. Too bad they are leaving the league as I think they could be competitive next year if they were still in it.

So still up in the air and should be a good battle to the end for the outright league championship. Three way tie is not out of the question.

RonVonHagen
Riding the Bench

Post by RonVonHagen »

warrior90 wrote:First half of the league play is done. Doesn't take long with only 5 teams.

Gallia is leading the league as of now with a 3-0 record and they played Jackson last night and I do not have the results. They have beaten Warren and Logan on their home court and to win the league outright they have to hold serve on the road. They might be young but they are the scrappiest bunch I have seen play in a while. They just do not let the ball hit the ground.

Warren is 3-1 in the league with the win over Logan last night. They control their own destiny as three of there remaining 4 league games are at home with the end of the year game at Logan. Warren has good talent but is prone to making mistakes. If they limit the mental mistakes they can hang with most teams around.

Logan is 2-2 and is a talented team. Like warren they too have mental mistakes that haunt them, but they have two of the hardest hitting players in the league. With playing Warren and Gallia at home, it would not surprise me if they can pull off one or maybe two wins. New coach seems to be doing well and is highly knowledgeable about the game.

Jackson is 1-2 and played gallia last night. I do not think they have a chance for a SEOAL championship, but if they get on a role can cause problems for the top three.

Portsmouth is 0-4 but are by far the most improved team in the league. They took Logan 5 sets, Jackson 4 sets with the last two sets real close and Warren all three sets were close. I think they could still win one or two games this year. Too bad they are leaving the league as I think they could be competitive next year if they were still in it.

So still up in the air and should be a good battle to the end for the outright league championship. Three way tie is not out of the question.
Nice synopsis Warrior90... Its a shame that the SEOAL is losing/lost so many schools. It would of been a heck of a vball conference if Marietta, Athens, and Chilli were still around. Where do you see the future of the league heading?

Its nice to see that Portsmouth is improving. I know more girls in the program than ever are playing club and that's good to see. Do they finally have line judges? When Chillicothe was in the league it always cracked me up that they never provided line judges for their home matches....it always said to me that they never took the game seriously. Also i am wondering but have they ever won a match in league play? It sounds like they are getting close if not.

Finally, good luck to your Warriors in league play and in the tournament. Warren has a very nice vball program, great vball tradition and their kids always play with class.

RVH

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Not sure where the conference is heading. Would love to see Marietta come back in, with that being our natural rival. On the Portsmouth question, they do have line judges for varsity only. They took Logan to 5 sets but came up short last week. For the past 6 years they have not won a game, but not sure prior to that. They easily could win one this year as all teams are very even in talent. Thanks for the kind words about the program. Maybe Chilli and Warren will get a game in the next few years.

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

Warrior thanks for the updates. Except for the travel i miss the SEOAL.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

League play is close to wrapping up. Gallia and Warren each have one loss (too each other) and control their own destiny.

Gallia has a 5-1 record and they still have to play Portsmouth tomorrow and at Jackson next week. They got a big 5 set win at Logan to pretty much eliminate the Lady Chieftians from the league crown.

Warren is 5-1 in the league with their win over Portsmouth yesterday. They control their own destiny but have to play Jackson at home this week and end the year with Logan at Logan next week.

Logan is 2-3 and is a talented team. They had a chance to dethrone Gallia at home but lost a 5 set thriller. They now have to play at Jackson, Portsmouth at home and end the year with Warren at home.

Jackson is 2-3 and still has to play at Warren, Logan at home and Gallia at home. They beat Portsmouth in 5 sets for their second win. They have a chance to play spoiler with playing both top teams.

Portsmouth is 0-6 but they are by far the most improved team in the league. They took Logan 5 sets, Jackson 5 sets. They still have to play Logan and Gallia. They can still get that first big win in the SEOAL.

It looks like Gallia will end up in first unless they can be knocked off by Jackson or Portsmouth and the big question is whether Warren can tie them for the top spot. But two Warren wins are not going to come easy. Two more weeks to go and the season will be in the books.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Well the last week of the season is here. And it comes down to two games for the SEOAL title. Gallia and Warren are tied with a 6 - 1 record and will share the title if they can both pull off road victories. Warren is at Logan for Logan's Senior night and that gym will be rocking as it always is. Gallia plays at Jackson and on paper Gallia has a distinct advantage, but never count the Ironladies out especially at home. Portsmouth season is complete and they finished 0-8 but took a couple for the teams to 5 sets this year. Just an FYI, the Logan Daily Times indicated Portsmouth is playing in both the OVC and SEOAL this year and is 0-8 in the SEOAL, but is in first place in the OVC.

Gallia 6-1 (2013 champs)
Warren 6-1
Logan 4-3
Jackson 2-5
Portsmouth 0-8

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Well another season of SEOAL volleyball has come to a close.

With wins tonight by Warren and Gallia, there are co-champs in the league this year. Warren defeated Logan 3 games to 1 and Gallia got by Jackson in 5 sets (unofficial but was being talked about at the game in Logan). Warren and Gallia both ended up 7-1 in the league with each team holding serve on the home courts in 4 sets. Good luck to all the teams in the league during tourney play.

Gallia Academy - 7-1
Warren -7-1
Logan - 4-4
Jackson - 2-6
Portsmouth - 0-8

Return to “Volleyball”