Alexander Spartans - Athens Messenger Article

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Alexander Spartans - Athens Messenger Article

Post by 93Bulldog »

Anyone read the article in the Athens Messenger Sunday? I hope the information the girls provided in the article put to rest any and all "theories" about why they decided to attend Alexander high school.

All in all, a great article IMO ... It's nice to see the Messenger print in depth articles about local players ... Hopefully we'll see more of it in the future.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Re: Alexander Spartans - Athens Messenger Article

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Post the link Dog.

ervbaseball13
Riding the Bench

Post by ervbaseball13 »

It is nice to see the messenger do the article. I think it is a shame that those young ladies had to go through this but hats off to those young ladies. Good for you.

h2o
Riding the Bench

Post by h2o »

Hats off to Kevin Wiseman and the Athens Messenger for taking the time to do the reseach and really capture the decisions these kids made. A great job of telling their story about what they have been through. These are great kids that we should all admire.

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

I'm kinda up in the air about the article. First off, I admire each of these young ladies for what they have endured throughout the season. Their determination, hardwork, and accomplishments are unmeasurable. If they truly felt they needed to go to the Messenger and clear their names, so be it. It's a shame that some people forget that these girls are in high school! Lay off them...geeze. For this ladies, I'm sorry.

I felt like the subject was starting to die down. I'm a little worried this article will cause the gossip to flare up again, but like I said earlier, if the girls and their families felt it was what needed to be done, who are we to judge? I just hope they understand it wasn't necessary. You have nothing to prove to the jerks that bash on here. You've earned everything you have achieved. Don't let anything (or anyone) tarnish your accomplishments or your hardwork. Good luck through the rest of high school and in whatever you choose to do in life. Judging by your work ethic in volleyball, you'll be successful in anything you set your mind to.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

baseballstud24.......As a journalist myself, I have been through a similar situation with high school athletes wanting to tell "their side of the story" and if the girls feel it is the right thing to do, then I have no problem with providing the vehicle to do so.

In fact, one of the girls in the Messenger article was one of the girls who spoke out in support of their girls basketball coach at Jackson when his contract was non-renewed. This was in April 2007. The move outraged the girls, their parents and supporters and most members of the Jackson community.

I offered my own thoughts in an opinion column, which has appeared on this site and is still talked about somewhere in Southeastern Ohio on a daily basis I'm sure, but this group of girls approached me about "telling their side of the story" in print.

I told them that I had no problem with doing such a story, but made it clear that their words will appear in print with a mass audience looking on via reading and they must be held accountable for what they say. They had no such problem with that, and went ahead and told their side of the story in print. It was what they felt was right, I was only the 'Messenger' — or in this case The Times-Journal.

As for the former AD at Jackson at this time who played a big role in this matter, attempts to reach him were unsuccessful (as they usually were).

NYBucksDad
JV Team

Post by NYBucksDad »

I think it is sad that these young ladies had to go to the Messenger and defend them self’s but after all the bashing they took on here over the season I have to say HATS off to you young ladies. You have earned everything you have accomplished and it sounds from reading the article that you are all fine young ladies. Congratulation to you and your team this is something you will remember the rest of you life.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

I just can't imagine that anyone at Alex or for that matter anywhere would let something said on this stupid forum bother them. These are usually people saying things they don't have the courage to say in public or to anyone face to face. People should take these for what they are, entertainment not much more.

The Wizard
Freshman Team

Post by The Wizard »

raider6109 wrote:I dont think the move to alexander was justified. I knew some of the girls that now go to alexander and have known them for some time. I just didnt see how they didnt "fit in" at athens. I think they went for the sole reason of playing on a winning volleyball team

To me that is good enough. You have to remember that both Supers had to sign off on it if they did not move. Athens could have always said no. Both have excellent schools and if you get a chance to play on a better team that may lead to better chances for college down the road then why not. These kids gave up alot to do this. I am sure that they lost more than one friend when this occurred and have had to take the rath of Athens people for a while now. My question to all these "Athens" supporters is this, if Alex was not successful in volleyball would all you still be on here bashing these girls and what happened?? I don't think so.

Steel Reserve
Riding the Bench

Post by Steel Reserve »

Shame on Kevin Wiseman for writing an article that glorifies kids leaving their home school.

ervbaseball13 wrote:It is nice to see the messenger do the article. I think it is a shame that those young ladies had to go through this but hats off to those young ladies. Good for you.

If a kid transfers schools they have to expect some negative feelings from their former school's community. To not expect this would be naive.

fighting_falcon wrote:I just can't imagine that anyone at Alex or for that matter anywhere would let something said on this stupid forum bother them. These are usually people saying things they don't have the courage to say in public or to anyone face to face. People should take these for what they are, entertainment not much more.

Agreed. This forum is a joke and that's how people should view it.

h2o
Riding the Bench

Post by h2o »

Steel reserve- it is amazing that you shame Mr wiseman for printing true stories about kids and not once shame adults for telling lies about them. not only have the adults told lies they do it hiding behind screen names !! these kids and Mr wiseman put their name to what they write !!!!! Shame on you for being weak and pathetic enough to still want these kids to endure more bashing. Karma will be a fun obsticle in your miserable life....I say SHAME on you for you cowardly views !!!

Hunting185
Riding the Bench

Post by Hunting185 »

h2o wrote:Steel reserve- it is amazing that you shame Mr wiseman for printing true stories about kids and not once shame adults for telling lies about them. not only have the adults told lies they do it hiding behind screen names !! these kids and Mr wiseman put their name to what they write !!!!! Shame on you for being weak and pathetic enough to still want these kids to endure more bashing. Karma will be a fun obsticle in your miserable life....I say SHAME on you for you cowardly views !!!

This is funny. Anyway, I did think that The Messenger Article was inappropriate. This article and this thread are what created the "more bashing" that you speak of - not Steel Reserve. If you continually "advertise" the "transfers" - people WILL talk. There was no need to single these girls out from the rest of the team by putting the article in the Athens Messenger and titling it "Spartans Tell Their Side of the Story". You had to know what would come of it. If this article didn't go in the paper, nothing else would have been said about the whole transfer thing and the girls wouldn't have to read it or hear it. You knew that people would be starting threads and making conversation about it. You had to know what would come of it. It's none of anyone's business why these girls transferred. There was not a need to continue "advertising" them for more people to snicker, talk, laugh and make fun. There was not a need for the girls, coach nor the media to defend them - this only created more gossip, etc. I'm talking not only about the newspaper article but this thread as well. The "transfers" are not the reason for the Alexander volleyball glory. Get over it! Move on! As stated many times, Alexander volleyball has been doing very well for many years. These girls improved so much - all of them - not only the "transfers". When the "transfers" came in to the Alexander program, they were not state championship material or even state material for that matter. They worked hard along with the rest of the team. It just so happened that the third time to State, and the many years of hard work by the entire volleyball team, paid off this time. The group worked well TOGETHER and pulled out a State Championship. It took determination, and a lot of hard work as a team to get that championship trophy. Please do not ruin the glory for these girls. Please just let it go and move on - this includes the media as well.

Steel Reserve
Riding the Bench

Post by Steel Reserve »

h2o wrote:Steel reserve- it is amazing that you shame Mr wiseman for printing true stories about kids and not once shame adults for telling lies about them. not only have the adults told lies they do it hiding behind screen names !! these kids and Mr wiseman put their name to what they write !!!!! Shame on you for being weak and pathetic enough to still want these kids to endure more bashing. Karma will be a fun obsticle in your miserable life....I say SHAME on you for you cowardly views !!!

Please quote where I bashed anyone. Good Day!

h2o
Riding the Bench

Post by h2o »

The first sentance should cover your request. . . Good day !

g

Boomhauer
Waterboy

Post by Boomhauer »

I too did not like the article. I felt sorry for the schools these ladies came from being drug through the mud. I would have been very mad if I were an administrator at any of these schools. It did however give a constant theme. All of these girls played for Aleta and all for coach J before transfering to Alex. I guess that seemed like a red flag to me on the outside of all this. Also seemed to try to justify the transfers. I have never seen anything like this after a championship. Why was it felt this article should have been written? It isolated these girls and I dont like the fact the rest of the team doesnt get their idividual pictures and articles because they were home grown girls. Once again adults making decisions that take away from the youth. Great job by ALL of the spartans and if the adults can step aside for a moment I think these kids will be fine!
Last edited by Boomhauer on Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hunting185
Riding the Bench

Post by Hunting185 »

Boomhauer wrote:I too did not like the article. I felt sorry for the schools these ladies came from being drug through the mud. I would have been very mad if I were an administrator at any of these schools. It did however give a constant theme. All of these girls played for Aleta and all for coach J before transfering to Alex. I guess that seemed like a red flag to me on the outside of all this. Also seemed to try to justify the transfers. I have never seen anything like this after a championship. Why was it felt this article should have been written? It isolated these girls and I dont like the fact the rest of the team doesnt get their idividual pictures and articles because they were home grown girls. Once again adults making decisions that take away from the youth. Great job by ALL of the spartans and if the adults can step aside for a moment I think these kids will be fine!

I agree with everything you said. From start to finish, the story was ugly. It not only made it sound like the girls were trying to make excuses as to why they decided to attend Alexander, it made the schools and/or administration look bad. As I had stated in my other post, and as you say, it was not right to single these girls out from the rest of the team and make it sound like this is why the championship was won.

h2o
Riding the Bench

Post by h2o »

The truth has been written and all involved and unbiased people know the truth. The jealous lying adults will never change as character and values cannot be changed in a bad person. The kids handled it the right way in waiting till the season was over to tell their stories. I am sure that anyone of you would not of handled continuous lies being told about you as well as these young ladies and the entire team have. Thanks to the Athens Messenger for setting the record straight to those who only heard "rumors". Further and final-The people this story bothers are the people that were telling the lies or were jealous of these girls in the first place !! The entire team has had great coverage by all the media.

adults like raider and boomer will continue to call these kids liars while they hide behind their screen names. that just shows who they are folks.

great season ladies !!! you are and forever will be the best we have to offer !! thanks for making the GOOD people of athens county proud !!!

Hunting185
Riding the Bench

Post by Hunting185 »

h2o wrote:The truth has been written and all involved and unbiased people know the truth. The jealous lying adults will never change as character and values cannot be changed in a bad person. The kids handled it the right way in waiting till the season was over to tell their stories. I am sure that anyone of you would not of handled continuous lies being told about you as well as these young ladies and the entire team have. Thanks to the Athens Messenger for setting the record straight to those who only heard "rumors". Further and final-The people this story bothers are the people that were telling the lies or were jealous of these girls in the first place !! The entire team has had great coverage by all the media.

adults like raider and boomer will continue to call these kids liars while they hide behind their screen names. that just shows who they are folks.

great season ladies !!! you are and forever will be the best we have to offer !! thanks for making the GOOD people of athens county proud !!!

H20,
I'm sorry if a nerve has been hit. Who knows if they are adults or not. You have your opinion and everyone has their own opinion. From reading YOUR posts, they do not sound very adult-like at all. You need to relax. Please stop with the jealousy remarks, etc. No one is jealous. Really! I am not seeing jealousy coming from any of the posts that you speak of. Talk is that it is hard to believe that they were not recruited. That's it. This story just makes it seem like there is guilt coming from somewhere and that is why the story surfaced - to try to justify the right from the wrong - AGAIN causing more drama. The people that matter know their reasons and that is all that should matter; these reasons did not have to be justified in an article for the entire county to read. Bottom line. The article sucked. I am surprised that the girls asked for this article, as you say, unless they enjoy reading the comments people make. You would think that they would want it to end and not bother having a story written about them in their defense to continue this ongoing controversy. Again, the entire community is proud of the entire Alexander team. I just do not think that their accomplishment of winning State should have been followed with an article like that. Again, that is my opinion and I hope that you can appreciate that.

Steel Reserve
Riding the Bench

Post by Steel Reserve »

[quote="h2o"]The first sentance should cover your request. . . Good day !
Kevin Wiseman was wrong in writing this article. He's an adult, though, so I see nothing wrong with me stating that.

Good day to you!

Boomhauer
Waterboy

Post by Boomhauer »

h2o wrote:adults like raider and boomer will continue to call these kids liars while they hide behind their screen names. that just shows who they are folks.

I never called these ladies anything! The only lie is the one you wrote above. I didnt like the fact that the article was wrote! My oppinion! They shouldnt get special coverage because they transfered in and were on a state championship TEAM. Lets get all the girls individual pictures in the paper and let them talk about what it meant to them. This story was isolating. That was my point. What lie was in that. NONE!

Return to “Volleyball”