Coaches attire

AndyDufresne
Waterboy

Coaches attire

Post by AndyDufresne »

What's with the way volleyball coaches dress for games? I know volleyball is altogether a different sport than any other high school sport. I mean let's face it, what other sport can you openly taunt your opponent, by coming together and doing a chant after a good play? With that being said, you would think that coaches would want to look their best. I attended the state volleyball tournament this past weekend for the first time ever. The play was great and exciting. But, I couldn't help to notice that about half of the coaches wore shorts. I don't think I've ever seen an indoor sport where coaches where shorts, especially when the weather outside was about 35 degrees. I remember a couple of years ago at a regional game where a coach had on sweats and a t-shirt (she looked like she had just woke up at a slumber party), but the shorts was something new. Like I said, I'm kind of a new volleyball fan, but I was wondering if this type of thing is some kind of tradition, or just the individual choice of a few coaches.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

I think it is a society cahnge. Look how dress has changed over the years. I am amazed at what some coaches wear or what coaches allow their players to wear to games. Almost no one wears a tie anymore. WHen was the last time you saw a boy wear a jacket? Almost no one even wears khakis anymore. How many schools can you go into where the students are allowed to wear jeans and short and pants with holes in them? How many teachers today wear jeans and flip flops? Real professional!

I can see a male coach not wearing a tie or a female coach wearing a dress to coach in, but to wear shorts, sweats, t-shirt, etc. is just showing the lack of professionalism. (I would have no problem with a t-shirt with khakis and tennis shoes if in the school spirit of colors such as a team t-shirt.)

I don't care what kind of coach they are when it comes to the x's and o's. They are supposed to be a role model to some extent as well. To me it just demonstrates a lack of discipline and a lack of caring, and a lack of professional obligation by those coaches and players.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

let them wear what they want to. first, i am not a coach. on top of all the other stuff(playing time, scouting, practices, PARENTS, kids, admin, officials for the game, transportation, teaching, coaching), you two are the first to complain about coaching attire. wear whats comfortable and suits you as long as the admin doesn't have a problem with it. i suppose you two also oppose football coaches wearing shorts in november too.

my guess is you two follow the rule "you're not supposed to wear white after labor day" to a tee. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

If I'm the admin., yes...they will look professional...khaki shorts and coaching shirt in the summer during a regular season game fine...sweats and a t-shirt at the state championship...give me a break...

and I'm not on here whining...I am just responding to a post and giving my two cents just as you are...each of us have our opinion...

am I going out of my way to "police" the volleyball and coaching nation...no...would I if I was an admin. or coach at a particular school...yes...can I control the rest of the world...no...but I would in my own little sphere of the world...it'd the difference between respect and discipline and expectations...

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

i guess i would rather have a hard working team that respects everybody that can throw on a nice pair of jeans and a pullover than a bunch of preppy looking suits that dont know how to play. plus with our league where everybody is at least an hour away, kids, players, nap or do homework most of the time on the bus. suits dont look too great after an hour long bus ride. we will agree to disagree. i had to wear a shirt and tie when i played in school and everyone hated it. what to wear became more important than the game itself. common sense has taken over since then and most teams can wear what they want within reason.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

You said the key words..."within reason"...and I would totally agree...unfortunately...some of our coaches, schools, players, and parents have forgotten what "within reason" means...

...and this topic started with a discussion of the state tournament...not an ordinary, regular season contest...we are talking about a motel room...no long bus ride right before the game...the biggest stage of the year...thousands of spectators...TV...cameras...college scouts...and still some have no clue what "within reason" might mean...

beatu2
Waterboy

Post by beatu2 »

What team or coaches dressed poorly at the state tournament? As long as the shorts or sweat pants were presentable without holes and such, what makes the difference? After all it was a sporting event, not the prom!

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

It's the state tournament...not a lazy afternoon at the house watching sports on TV! And a coach wearing sweat pants...forget it...I can't believe we would even have this discussion...it shows the mentality...

How hard is it to wear khanki pants and a coaching shirt? It is called laziness!

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

my question is this: this/these team/teams were at the state tournament to do what? play volleyball. this wasnt a fashion show to my knowledge. im not a big fan of the ripped/holey jeans thing anywhere/anytime myself. this is not a knock on anybody but it just might be a generation thing. im in the 30-40 age bracket. if you are a little older you may have some different experiences.

some food for thought:

bill belicheck, new england patriots coach: wears a cut-up sweatshirt most of the time during games. 3 super bowl champ. 9-0 so far this year. very successful.

coach k, duke university mens basketball coach: coach k and his staff all wear dk gray/dk blue suits to every game except for the games in hawaii. 3 national championships i believe. very successful.

my point is this, dress plays very little part in whether you are successful or not in athletics.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

Thanks for making my point....they all wear something that you expect a coach to wear for the occassion...even coach bill and his sweatshirts and coach k in his hawaiian shirts when in hawaii...

under your theory I guess they could show up in farming boots with chicken crap on them, jean shorts, and a sleeveless t-shirt as long as they were successful ?????

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

I guess I think they should be dressing up also. I think khakis @ a minimum. I would assume that most coaches are setting examples for the students and should dress the part.

I know when I deal with someone on a more professional basis, I respond to how a person is dressed. If someone shows up sloppy then I tend to take them less serious.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

not sure how i made your point. volleyball coaches wear shorts pretty much all season or some sort of slick sweats. with the statement you just confirmed, this is part of the game, so why cant a coach continue to wear what they have worn all season?

snow:now its just sour grapes because i shot a hole in your theory. its not how you dress that makes a team better.

by the way, i am wearing black dockers today. i put my white ones away. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Daisy
Waterboy

Post by Daisy »

I agree Andy, what some of the coaches wear these days doesn't look too good. I am suprised you have a problem with the chanting that goes on in volleyball, considering all the trash talk you did in your day. :-D

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

garyberteir2
Waterboy

coaches attire

Post by garyberteir2 »

WV high school volleyball coach here. 5 trips to the state tournament and have never wore a suit at the state tournament. I wore khakis and a coaching shirt the first 3 years and the last two team warmups and a coaching shirt. In WV no shorts at the state tournament, no denim ever, and you must wear team colors. During the season I wore khaki shorts and a dryfit coaching shirt for 90% of the games. Only when the weather got cold did I throw on some khaki pants or warm up pants. I also coach basketball and it is completely different. Khakis and a cardigan or coaching shirt during the season and a suit in the state tournament.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

thats true, basketball is different than volleyball but i never really thought about it until gb2 brought it up. any thoughts?

Daisy
Waterboy

Post by Daisy »

Why should it be any different? Is volleyball less important than basketball?

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

its not less important. i think the fact that volleyball starts in the warm months and high school basketball starts in the cold months has something to do with it.

kcarth305
JV Team

Post by kcarth305 »

This is the way I see it. If you coach a varsity, JV, or Middle School sports program, then you should dress in a professional manner.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

one other factor i remember from volleyball is that most gyms are 80-90+ degrees plus humidity because of the lack of air conditioning at most places. shirt and tie would definitely look awkward and uncomfortable. at the very most maybe khakis and a polo would be fine. i agree, there shouldn't be any denim.

Return to “Volleyball”