SVC...2012 who wins it?

HHSSoftball
Riding the Bench

Re: SVC...2012 who wins it?

Post by HHSSoftball »

Wanted to see all teams at previews before commenting. After seeing previews, I think the league is very balanced! Here is my take:

Westfall - Very good at the net! It boils down to how they serve receive, and if they do it well they could run the table! Big for them to get Curry back though.

Huntington - Top 3 are very good (Kellough, Ingram, and Lytle). Gragg is also a VERY GOOD freshman and is capable of playing a big role. The supporting cast must play well and it may come down to how well they can block.

Zane Trace - Very talented and I can't understand why they are not getting props! However, every time I have seen them this summer they have had a tendency to be some what inconsistent. If they can play consistent, they may be the team to beat.

Adena - They are still Adena and the league title WILL run through them. They looked very scrappy and played defense like Adena usually plays defense. Their lack of size up front could haunt them against good teams, but the skill is still there.

Unioto - Young and talented! Very good athletes all they way around and they will compete with anyone in the league. If they play consitent and can find that GO TO player in crunch time, they have the horses to compete for the title.

Southeastern - I think they are more talented than they get credit for. They are able to play with anyone in the league and I believe they will at least have a say in how the title plays out. I don't know if they have the ability to compete for the title, but I wouldn't count them out of it either.

Paint Valley - They have good size and pretty good athletes, but they just don't have enough volleyball players to compete with the top 6 in the league... They are on their way to playing at that level though and will beat a lot of non-conference teams.

Piketon - Another team that is pretty athletic with decent net play. Give Pelfrey a good setter and she could take over a match!

Final thoughts: I think the team that wins the league could have 3 losses, as I believe the top 6 teams will beat each other up. All teams still have some question marks and I don't think there is a clear cut favorite to win it! All teams have some players we have not heard of that needs to step up. They all have players capable, but the question remains, which coach will be able to push the right buttons and make it all work?

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Post by warningtrackpower »

2012 SVC Volleyball Preview on SVCsportszone.com . . .

http://www.svcsportszone.com/2012volleyballprev.html

warningtrackpower
All Conference

What to listen for on tonight’s return of SVC Sports Talk

Late Monday/early Tuesday you will find a link for the first episode of our second season of the Cardo’s Family Fun Center SVC Sports Talk podcast show. There have been several off-season questions about the podcast, and we want to make sure all fans know that this feature is completely free. You can click here, scroll down, and enter your email address to subscribe to the show to ensure you never miss a release of a new show. Here is a look at what to expect on this week’s show.

*A look at what people are calling a balanced volleyball league. We will breakdown the Adena Lady Warriors in attempt to figure out why people feel this way, and explain what we think 2012 will bring.

*On the football field, we will be talking best quarterback not named Trent Williamson. We also discuss the most underappreciated position on a football roster, and we will explain why the time is now for a few SVC programs.

*We will explain why this year’s golf league appears to be same book, different chapter; however, we will explain how this year’s league is actually unlike anything we have ever seen.

*A visit to the inbox asked us to comment on juniors playing JV. Do you agree with? Sometimes? Never? We’ll give our thoughts.

*…and the return of the Two-Minute Drill sponsored by CNK Athletic Equipment as questions include the preseason favorite for POY in volleyball, the race for second-place in golf, the league’s best defense in football, and key headlines to following during the fall season.

If you have an opinion on these topics and want to take part in the show, simply dial 740-569-3254, wait for the beep, and leave your comment. We will use some of the calls during this show or future shows of SVC Sports Talk.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

8/27 Unioto vs Logan Elm
14 - 25 Logan Elm
25 - 19 U
21 - 25 Logan Elm
25 - 23 U
15 - 8 U

Big home win for the young Sherman's.
Juniors White and Moore came up big in the 5th set for the Lady Tanks
#16 for Logan Elm is very good.

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Big part of this week's SVC Sports Talk (podcast show of SVCsportszone.com) is about volleyball. Here is a link. Just click, hit play arrow, and listen for free. We mention several players from each team...

http://www.dbkmediaservices.com/wordpre ... talk082712

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

Unioto wins in 3 on the road at Southeastern
25-10
25-9
25-16

jumparound
Freshman Team

Post by jumparound »

Adena lost in 3 to Westfall. Congrats to Westfall for the big win and congrats to Adena for having such an accomplishment of a winning streak

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

What does Thursdays match-ups look like in the SVC?
Unioto is @ Piketon

Sheik Yerboutie
Waterboy

Post by Sheik Yerboutie »

X: Do you want to re-do your predictions after Day 1 of league competition? I will accept it. :122249

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

Sheik:
Unlike the up coming presidential election, The X will stay the coarse with my original selection.

Let it be noted that I did choose Westfall in my official pre-season list. The only place I maybe off is with the young Sherman's. They had a very impressive win over a quality veteran squad in Logan Elm and then followed it up the next night with a three set victory over the mighty Panthers of Southeastern. The Sherman's are young no doubt, younger then some SVC reserve rosters but they are playing beyond their years as of now.

Sheik Yerboutie
Waterboy

Post by Sheik Yerboutie »

I always respected a man such as yourself who will stick to his guns during these type of things instead of caving into the pressure of the moment. :12222

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

Ok the first week is in the books and the Lady Pioneers have served the X his 1st helping of crow  for my pre-season picks. The team I picked 5th just beat the team I picked 1st in four sets. Goes to show why they play the games.

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

I gotta feeling Coach Lori Merriman"s team played possum during the preview. The league is definitely up for grabs.

duck butter
Freshman Team

Post by duck butter »

huntington will be too much this year go huntsmen

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

Trace over Unioto in 4
19-25
25-16
21-25
21-25

Trace looks good. 
I questioned how well this team would gel together with the changes in coaching staff and players over the last two years. Well they have answered that question. Coach Merriman has this club firing on all cylinders. I don't know if they will run the table but if they keep up this caliber of play the lady pioneers will win the SVC this year.

Don't want to take anything away from my young Sherman's. I thought they played well and the first set was closer then the score indicates. Just youthful mistakes will cost you big time in a game where the league lead is on the line and Trace was there each time to capitalize on those mistakes.

Along with several others from ZT I was very impressed with the play of Spetnagel tonight. 

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

I guess Zane Trace isn't playing possum anymore.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

@Huntington
Huntington in 5 over Unioto
25 - 20 U
11 - 25 H
25 - 20 U
15 - 25 H
8 - 15 H

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

Tough week for the Shermans.....

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

Main Man wrote:Tough week for the Shermans.....
The Sherman's put up wins today over Valley and Chillicothe.
Play a very good set (23-25) against eastern Pike. 2nd set not so G :122248 :122248 D

A lot of up side to this Sherman team, they are going to have some rough stretches this season however.

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

X,
The scary part is most teams in this league are young as well. Huntington, ZT, Piketon, Westfall
are all very young along with your shermans. I still think Westfall is going to stick around in the top 2. ZT is a very well coached and athletic team. Huntington is warming up and Adena isnt going anywhere either. The "U" may be 1 year away. SE is disappointing with alot of seniors. PV and Piketon have work to do. This league is very tough. Just going on what ive seen so far. Whatta ya think "X"

Return to “Volleyball”