Alexander Spartans - Athens Messenger Article

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Alexander Spartans - Athens Messenger Article

Post by 93Bulldog »

You guys are so wrong about what my 'topic' really intended ... I was GLAD to see the messenger write and print a very in depth article about local athletes - and well deserving too, they won a state championship for the first time for southeastern Ohio since 1981 for gods sake! Their should have been at least an article per day, everyday, after the final game ended for about a week ... If one of the articles was about 4 girls who decided to switch schools Before they even had a drivers license or played one single second of varsity volleyball for the team in which they transfered from (besides the girl from jackson, which had every right to leave the situation she was in - I would have done the exact same if I were her!) ... But anyway, if one of the articles after the championship game was about the 4 girls and the whole transferring issue, so be it, they deserved and EARNED that right to have anything they wished printed ...

I mean, talk about over reacting - instead of applauding and celebrating something that just doesn't happen very often in southeastern Ohio, people have the gaul to criticize these girls ... And young girls at that ... I just can't believe it ... I mean, I truly thought after they poured their heart out and opened themselves up to the entire Messenger coverage area by answering the hard questions and answering them honestly; they would have received nothing but positive feedback and admiration for telling the truth so everyone would know the facts about not only them on the court but their personal lives as well - that takes courage and nobody even recognizes or has given them credit for it ... instead, we have criticism and controversy (Sorry to those who have responded with positive notions - my post is directed toward the guilty, and in my opinion, the UNAPPRECIATIVE!

WAKE UP ... THE ALEXANDER GIRLS WON A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP AND PERSONALLY, I DON'T GIVE A RATS BEHIND IF NOT ALL THE GIRLS WERE ALBANY BORN AND BRED ... TO GO UP AGAINST THE "GILMORE ACADEMIES" AND THE "FISHER CATHOLICS", WE'RE GOING TOO HAVE TO ACCEPT THE FACT THAT 'SOME' OF OUR LOCAL PLAYERS WILL HAVE TO COMBINE WITH OTHER LOCAL PLAYERS AND PLAY ON ONE TEAM IF WE ARE TO EVER WIN A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!!! THE PROOF LIES WITH THE ALEXANDER SPARTANS AND THE 28 YEARS THAT SEPARATES THE LAST TITLE FOR SOUTHEASTERN OHIO!!!

-Your basic public school or team from southeastern Ohio will NEVER WIN a state title when they have to play "PRIVATE" INSTITUTIONS once they reach the regional and state levels of any tournament ... Those schools have an endless budget and recruit players from all over the state and even beyond ... So if the folks that "complained" about the Spartans are happy playing amongst themselves every year and are happy to maybe win a district championship or two - then so be it. But for me personally, I could NOT HAVE BEEN MORE PROUD AND MORE HAPPY FOR THOSE GIRLS THAT BEAT THE BIG, 'PRIVATE', RICH SCHOOL OF GILMORE ACADEMY TO BRING HOME A MUCH NEEDED STATE TITLE!!! I LOVED SEEING THE SPARTANS ON T.V., I LOVED HEARING THE COMMENTATORS TALK ABOUT THE 'LITTLE TOWN OF ALBANY' AND HOW THE GIRLS DID SO WELL AT THE STATE TOURNAMENT ... I guess those who didn't enjoy that - they must not truly care about sports and the athletes from this area! If they did, they would be like me and wouldn't care one bit how the Spartans made up their team. (It was just a bonus to hear from the girls in the article that it wasn't all volleyball, their were a lot of personal reasons involved as well)

I've lived in Athens for over 30 years and played for the 'DOGS while attending AHS ... and I can truly say that I know how and why the two girls felt like they didn't fit in at Athens. I can see why they transfered, its no secret that ATHENS might have the biggest 'social disparity' amongst its students if you're talking about the surrounding schools in southeastern Ohio ... Its very easy for a kid to get discouraged quickly at a young age if they don't immediately fit in ... I never had the problem, thankfully, but I was a guy that played football, basketball and baseball ... for a girl buried on the depth chart of a JV team and is having some problems socially at the school ... BY ALL MEANS, THEY SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO LEAVE and go where they feel more comfortable ...It just happened to be Alexander and they just happened to end up one heck of a girls volleyball team!

And I don't know about everyone else, but I'M darn GLAD THEY DID!

BTW ... yes, I'm a bulldog ... yes, I'm from Athens ... yes, I still love the 'Dogs and follow them extensively and even desperately wanted the Athens girls volleyball team to upset the Spartans when they played this fall! BUT ... ONCE THE SEASON WAS OVER - I BECAME A FAN OF 'SOUTHEASTERN OHIO' TEAMS, Just like I do every year at tournament time.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

BTW ... ANTHONY HITCHENS (Former Zane Trace Player) + CHILLICOTHE + Former Zane Trace coach = STATE TITLE in basketball last year!

BEN WAGINGER (An Ironton Tiger for three years) + SOUTH WEBSTER = State Champion in basketball I believe it was 2004.

Anyone see the pattern? Those two schools, both from south of Columbus, needed a transfer to obtain state titles ... I bet nobody from South Webster or Chillicothe or their surrounding schools made as much fuss about those transfers as the folks from Athens County are making of the Spartan girls ... Their tickled to death to be sporting that state championship banner as everyone around here should be for Alexander!

tt 11
Waterboy

Post by tt 11 »

alexander has a huge trophy that says "state champions division 3 2008" in the trophy case.so maybe everyone bashing the girls should zip it up and quit bashing these fine young ladies and coach jeffers.alot of sweat and tears was left on volleyball courts all over the state the last 4 years from these ladies and the coach.they conquered goliath this year and you have a few people who love contraversy and they hate when people accomplish something great.coach jeffers and the lady spartans should not let some of these idiots on here bother them.live it up ladies youve accomplished something alot of kids whished they had a state championship

gt13osu
Varsity

Post by gt13osu »

How can you say they don't fit in at Alex? They became best of friends with their teammates and classmates. I don't think you know what you're talking about.

raider6109 wrote:
I've lived in Athens for over 30 years and played for the 'DOGS while attending AHS ... and I can truly say that I know how and why the two girls felt like they didn't fit in at Athens. I can see why they transfered, its no secret that ATHENS might have the biggest 'social disparity' amongst its students if you're talking about the surrounding schools in southeastern Ohio

93bulldog: I went to high school with the girls at Athens and they fit in. They don't fit in at Alex.

BH1
Waterboy

Post by BH1 »

Maybe some may want to check in on the numbers transferring in to Alex overall. I believe a significant number of freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors have come from other school districts for various reasons (academics included). Some of these students are also playing other sports. What will some say if other Alexander sports have great success? Will there be people sobbing if some of these students have the top grade point averages of their grade? What if they become their class' presidents? What if they take away academic scholarships from other school districts? I guess those transfers are also responsible for Alex outranking neighboring districts on the state report cards. I guess some think that if they would have "just stayed at their home schools" Alexander would not be at the top in several areas. What about those former students from Alex that are now going to a different district? NO fair!!! Volleyball or not, many like what they see at Alexander and desire to go.Yeah, that is life. If you don't like the way OHSAA runs the ship, work to change Ohio law regarding students attending schools.(including private schools) Suck it up.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Raider ... Thx for clearing up that your still just a kid, that explains a lot of your logic throughout the posts about Alex.

BTW ... There is no way in heck you actually read the article about the 4 girls ... I mean, for you to make that quote about how they 'fit in' is completely unjustified! How the hell do you know what these girls were feeling ... I at least have an idea cause i took the time to read what they had to say.

bballnut
Riding the Bench

Post by bballnut »

WAKE UP ... THE ALEXANDER GIRLS WON A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP AND PERSONALLY, I DON'T GIVE A RATS BEHIND IF NOT ALL THE GIRLS WERE ALBANY BORN AND BRED ... TO GO UP AGAINST THE "GILMORE ACADEMIES" AND THE "FISHER CATHOLICS", WE'RE GOING TOO HAVE TO ACCEPT THE FACT THAT 'SOME' OF OUR LOCAL PLAYERS WILL HAVE TO COMBINE WITH OTHER LOCAL PLAYERS AND PLAY ON ONE TEAM IF WE ARE TO EVER WIN A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!!! THE PROOF LIES WITH THE ALEXANDER SPARTANS AND THE 28 YEARS THAT SEPARATES THE LAST TITLE FOR SOUTHEASTERN OHIO!!! [/color][/size]

So, --- you do AGREE with Guy in the Stands, that Alex is an Allstar team. And that it's ok to combine teams to win. :?: You can argue the point on here forever, and NEVER agree. Those girls are good athletes, and no person has ever said they are not. Seems like the point is this ----why don't you admit that the team is an allstar team, say congrats and forget about it.

what was the championship team from 28 years ago that you mentioned.?
what sport?
Did that win come from home grown kids or an all star team?

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

93Bulldog wrote:BTW ... ANTHONY HITCHENS (Former Zane Trace Player) + CHILLICOTHE + Former Zane Trace coach = STATE TITLE in basketball last year!

BEN WAGINGER (An Ironton Tiger for three years) + SOUTH WEBSTER = State Champion in basketball I believe it was 2004.

Anyone see the pattern? Those two schools, both from south of Columbus, needed a transfer to obtain state titles ... I bet nobody from South Webster or Chillicothe or their surrounding schools made as much fuss about those transfers as the folks from Athens County are making of the Spartan girls ... Their tickled to death to be sporting that state championship banner as everyone around here should be for Alexander!

His name is BRIGHAM Waginger. And South Webster was already a favorite along with a couple other teams to win the state.
NEEDED a transfer to win it?
His transfer just sealed it. South Webster's average win spread for the tournament was about 35-40 points. The semi-final was the only close game they had and Brigham was not a factor in that game. He played sick and struggled the whole game. South Webster could have won it without him regardless of what people want to believe.

Congrats to Alexander on your title. Don't let ANYONE try to discredit it!! People will do all they can to do it because of jealousy, envy, etc. Ignore it and enjoy the title. It's a great feeling!!

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

I'm glad to see that someone brought up the transfers on the local basketball teams. It's BS that Alex always gets the short end of the stick in the subject of recruiting. There are too many "strategic move ins" across the region for Alexander to only get the blame.

I hope Guy in the Stands comes back to argue with H2O. They are like two sides of the same coin.

bubbles
Riding the Bench

Post by bubbles »

dude in the stands, i need a ride home from thanksgiving, the family left me at the bus station....

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

B-ball nut ... the 1981 Nelsonville-York Buckeyes won a state football championship ... But in 1981, athletics were a completely different story than they are now in the state of Ohio.

Jeep ... If you didn't need Waginger, why didn't you win the state championship the year before without him? You had the same team and probably a few seniors that weren't on the team the following season. It takes a 'true' point guard that doesn't break under the pressure and it definitley helps tp have a PG that played in the state tournament the year before (Waginger/Ironton) ... The kid played a heluva game against the likes of O.J. 'FREAKIN' MAYO - An NBA star now ... So don't tell me 'he didn't help South Webster as much as people think' ... Experience, ball handling skills and passing ability is way to "under rated!" I watched that state championship game and all the games at the convo - He helped the Jeeps GET OVER THE HUMP and w/o him, may not have.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Edited by OZZIEOHIO!!

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

whoa...good comeback

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

lol ... Truly intelligent, I wish I would have thought of it myself.

racinerebel
Riding the Bench

Post by racinerebel »

This is absolutely awesome that Alexander won state. Great Job!!!

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

93Bulldog wrote:B-ball nut ... the 1981 Nelsonville-York Buckeyes won a state football championship ... But in 1981, athletics were a completely different story than they are now in the state of Ohio.

Jeep ... If you didn't need Waginger, why didn't you win the state championship the year before without him? You had the same team and probably a few seniors that weren't on the team the following season. It takes a 'true' point guard that doesn't break under the pressure and it definitley helps tp have a PG that played in the state tournament the year before (Waginger/Ironton) ... The kid played a heluva game against the likes of O.J. 'FREAKIN' MAYO - An NBA star now ... So don't tell me 'he didn't help South Webster as much as people think' ... Experience, ball handling skills and passing ability is way to "under rated!" I watched that state championship game and all the games at the convo - He helped the Jeeps GET OVER THE HUMP and w/o him, may not have.

The year before him Africentric was a juggernaut! We may have given them a better game, but a win was not a guarentee WITH a Waginger.
I never said "He didn't help South Webster" Read the post. I said he SEALED IT. Like you said he put South Webster over the hump. So we actually agree.
However, I will NOT concede that without him South Webster would not have won it. W Like I said, The Jeeps were already pegged as one of the favorites. Without Waginger, Kreisher would have authored an entirely different style for the season and Lower was a very capable point guard. He won the Lockland game with his performance. He took a backseat due to Wag's, but he could have done a great job running the team as well.

We'll never know, but I believe without Waginger, South Webster could have won it all, but it would have been a whole lot harder.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

93 Bulldog

High School athletics a lot different in 1981 than today???? What in the world does that mean. I hope you aren't inferring just because it was in the past that it was inferior. Volleyball without a doubt is superior today than it was in the past. But not football and basketball. Basketball can nearly play year round and we have all of these camps , oyb, aau, and teams are no better than they were 25 years ago. In many ways they aren't near as good skill wise, especially shooting.

bballnut
Riding the Bench

Post by bballnut »

93 Bulldog
High School athletics a lot different in 1981 than today???? What in the world does that mean. I hope you aren't inferring just because it was in the past that it was inferior. Volleyball without a doubt is superior today than it was in the past. But not football and basketball. Basketball can nearly play year round and we have all of these camps , oyb, aau, and teams are no better than they were 25 years ago. In many ways they aren't near as good skill wise, especially shooting.
93 Bulldog

Spartan
Sports are different now.
Volleyball was a totally different game then. SLOW for one thing.
Today volleyball is very fast paced, and competitive.
Girls sports started becoming a bigger in the 70's and by mid 80's the bands and other things suffered from that.
If a kid came to play at your school, you knew they really lived there.
Basketball did not have the 3-point game way back. If someone scored 1,000 points in a career, you know it really took a lot to get to that point.
The honor of acquiring "season ending honors" was a much bigger honor way back then. It was harder to get those honors because of league sizes.
Today sports are much different. For better and for worse.
How can you accurately compare?

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

How can you accurately compare?

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Who is the new coach at Alexander this year?

Return to “Volleyball”