Lack of Topics on Lawrence County VB

VB Fan
Waterboy

Lack of Topics on Lawrence County VB

Post by VB Fan »

Why do we see very little discussion boards around volleyball in Lawrence County, Ohio. Several postings from area counties but not on Lawrence County?

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Re: Lack of Topics on Lawrence County VB

Post by abuck76 »

VB is and has always been the third sport for girls. Sftball and B-Ball dominate................ :12224

VB Fan
Waterboy

Post by VB Fan »

Thats a shame. Perhaps the school systems put too much emphasis on b-ball. Vball does not conflict with any other sport. V-ball and B-ball need very similiar skill sets. Not totally knowledgeable but softball seems like a hard sport to focus on in this area unless you are a traveling athlete. With the size of the schools in lawrence how do they field a deep team? If you have no pitching then the season is over? Club volleyball then could be the answer and track?

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

VB Fan wrote:Thats a shame. Perhaps the school systems put too much emphasis on b-ball. Vball does not conflict with any other sport. V-ball and B-ball need very similiar skill sets. Not totally knowledgeable but softball seems like a hard sport to focus on in this area unless you are a traveling athlete. With the size of the schools in lawrence how do they field a deep team? If you have no pitching then the season is over? Club volleyball then could be the answer and track?

Volleyball does conflict with soccer and cross country. This is the case at South Point. there the girls have to make a decsion on soccer or volleyball. there are some great athletes on both teams thus splitting the caliber of play. If there was only one sport that season I am sure SP would be very competitive and win the league in volleyball. On the flip side if there wasn't a volley ball team then they could field an all girls soccer team and the girls wouldn't have to play with the boys! No easy answer to the problem!

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

I don't know if there was anybody on the soccer team that would have made a difference for V-ball...... :12224

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

Kayla Fletcher , Katie Burgess and Amy Lien are probably the more athletic kids in their classes. Granted they have played soccer their whole life but if they would have started out playing volleyball in middle school then I believe all three would have been forces in volleyball as well. Just as I believe that Koukos, Leighty. Bradburn and Taylor would be great soccer athletes if they had chosen that route. It's just sad that they can't do both!

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

Heighth is such a key with v-ball. Need heighth............ :12224

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

Bradburn doesn't play V-Ball............ :12224

VB Fan
Waterboy

Post by VB Fan »

Having enough athletes to go around has been the problem for years. It definately is possible to play volleyball and compete in cross country meets but hard to specialize. I couldnt imagine how it is possible to field both a soccer and volleyball team. More sport choices and the development of aau has impacted sports depth in lawrence county. 20 years ago you would have to be a superb athlete to start varsity athletics as a sophomore. Now you cant have a competitive team without freshman and sophomores. Shame.

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

Not at SP....we have to cut every year.......... :12224

VB Fan
Waterboy

Post by VB Fan »

Abuck.
It must be nice to have choices. How would you rate the schools in OVC by the total numbers of girls in the school 9-12? That definately will make a difference when having multiple sports. For example I dont see how a Coal Grove or Symmes Valley could support a quality Volleyball Team, Soccer Team, Cheerleading Squad and band in the fall without girls participating in at least two events each.

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

Thats true. RH and SP are by far the two biggest schools in OVC. It would be hard . I have a girl who I let cheer, but didn't miss any of my practices. ....hey, its So. Ohio...small school USA........ :12224

vball4me
Waterboy

Post by vball4me »

LOL that is so true!

Return to “Volleyball”