Alexander VS Athens

h2o
Riding the Bench

Re: Alexander VS Athens

Post by h2o »

admar- let me help you with some facts because i am certain you want to be accurate!!!

"What I call a TRUE player is one that was born in the school system they are playing in. A few years back there was ONLY Alexander player on the team and they were winning. Agreed!!!! But how many kids are at Alex now who "transfered" that are playing on the Varsity team. Several!!!!! What was wrong with the talent that the Alexander students had. They got pushed aside for the NEW Alexander students. Its just a shame. There is much talent at Alexander High School that will never be known because of the transfers who came from Aleta Aces program"

off the top of my head i can remember names like Tiffany Thomas, Brandie Hart that moved from other schools. I may be wrong but am pretty sure that Elizabeth LaPorte wasnt born in the alexander district. Those are only the ones i can recall imediately ! so your first comment is totally false about "a few years ago." secondly Aleta aces has been the only club in our area for several years until this year so if kids played club they would of had to play for the Aleta. as for the "looks good in Red and Black" i have probably heard that most often from coach Gabriel, but hey those are the facts you do what you want to with them.

good day... remember...you cant live without H2O :)

interception
Waterboy

Post by interception »

Are there no "TRUE" Alexander "ALETA ACES" players on the current Alexander Varsity or JV team? I would be interested in knowing this.

admar
Riding the Bench

Post by admar »

One player this year, one player the next year, but 4 or 6 players transfering in one year. Yep, might be only club volleyball program around area but strange how they all come to Alex with Coach who heads the Aleta. Just my point of view. I think every Varsity player in an Aleta player. Not sure about JV team. Makes me sad!!!!! Glad they are a great program and want the best for the girls. Just think the coach got away with some recruiting and was pushed under the rug. I don't blame the girls at ALL. Its the adults that let it happen. Send Alex players to another school and have them play over their regular players. I think those who follow the sport would feel the same about their children being pushed aside for the new kids. Just stinks for those who loved the sport and quit because they watched the others play. Watched that happen to some very talented young ladies.

h2o
Riding the Bench

Post by h2o »

OHSAA only allows 3 players from the same school to participate on a club team. Teams are made up of players from several schools. Almost all Alexander kids have played on an Aleta team at some point. I believe Bill Allen (athens volleyball dad whos daughter lived in Alexander school district) and Coach Jeffers started the Aleta prgram so that the kids from alexander and athens would have a place to play.

No good deed goes unpunished !!!

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

What is the big deal here? The Lady Spartans are winning and they make the area proud. Or some of the area anyway. The girls that have come to Alexander are great kids and they work well together. Give this a break admar. What has happened at Alex is in the past. This is a team of fine young ladies who want to make it to State again and come home with the state title. Cheer them on regardless of where they came from, they are now Alexander players. Lets keep it real.... These are kids and shouldn't be subjected to this kind of crap......Go Spartans

Coach Skinner
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Skinner »

Alexander is awesome and have obviously put a lot of work into it. There is no doubt that they will challenge for the state championship .
The sky is the limit for the Athens volleyball program. Loads of young talent.

interception
Waterboy

Post by interception »

From what I saw from the Alex JV they also have loads of talent. Both teams were fun to watch!

h2o
Riding the Bench

Post by h2o »

some good points admar . i do have another point of view. part of the problem is that there is only one high school program that truely excells in are area. so if a kid that loves volleyball is having trouble with the school they attend ( for any reason)there is not a lot of choices. if they have played club they have become friends with alexander kids who they have watched and admired during their own school season ,they are more apt to chose alex. plus the alexander kids are great kids !!!! if you ever watch them play, who wouldnt want to play on that team !! wish there was a team like that when i was in school. most of the kids that moved were not for volleyball but do play volleyball. they are wonderful kids that were in unhappy situations. i am happy for them.
as for kids getting pushed aside ? i dont buy it !!! kids sometimes dont like their role and chose to not play or dont want to put the time in that the alexander kids do in volleyball. i think that if kids want to be a part of the program there would of been a spot for them if they were willing to accept their role and work hard. heck alexander has had more kids playing volleball than any school their size in are area for several years and cant hardly get enough to have a JV girls basketball team, so alex kids are not getting pushed aside.
it would be nice if every kid could grow up to be a star !!! parents get bitter because their child doesnt get the role they want them to have. that we all know happens at every school. when it happens at alexander volleyball it becomes headlines!!!
as for recruitng. that is silly :) we can accuse whoever we want for kids moving last time i checked alexander didnt give scholarships and the bitter people at athens or alexander wouldnt push anything under the rug.

my respect goes to these girls who have worked to acheive their greatness !!!! and if you want to be a star at alexander it will have to be in a sport other than volleyball because they dont have stars, just unselfish hardworking kids !! and if you dont like those guidelines than maybe thats considered "pushed aside"

interception
Waterboy

Post by interception »

Love it h2o. I heard some parents from Alexander last night say that their kid had been practicing the day school was out. They went to the beach where they worked VERY hard and then every single week, between open gyms, weight lifting, and working on their own. There are some kids that chose not to put this effort into it and that is okay but I bet you their the first ones whose parents are complaining about their playing time, or lack there of. I'm amazed at the work ethic of many of these girls (and their parents).

admar
Riding the Bench

Post by admar »

[quote="sports mom 09"]What is the big deal here? The Lady Spartans are winning and they make the area proud. Or some of the area anyway. The girls that have come to Alexander are great kids and they work well together. Give this a break admar. What has happened at Alex is in the past. This is a team of fine young ladies who want to make it to State again and come home with the state title. Cheer them on regardless of where they came from, they are now Alexander players. Lets keep it real.... These are kids and shouldn't be subjected to this kind of crap......Go Spartans[/quote

mom-you should shut up. we are entitled to our opinion and this is mine. its hard to beat a team that has been build from area talent.
h2o- blah, blah, blah... you have an excuse for everything.

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

OH MY GOSH!!! YOU HAVE SOME MAJOR ANGER PROBLEMS!

interception
Waterboy

Post by interception »

What a shame, to turn something so positive into something so personal and negative. I still enjoyed my evening of watching volleyball, no matter who was playing.

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

My daughter has played sports with some of these girls on the volleyball team and they are a fine group of young ladies. Not just on the floor but as students and friends. I wish them the best and hope to get to follow them to a state championship this year. Hard work pays off. Lets end your high school career with a state title seniors.

mainetime
Waterboy

Post by mainetime »

Does anyone know scores?
of JV or varsity?

And did Athens film crew tape the game?

tosubuckeyes
Waterboy

Post by tosubuckeyes »

Here is my 2 cents on the Alexander topic. And let me say that I am far from an Alexander fan although I support all student athletes in the area.
Coach Jeffers (and Bill Allen) started the ALETA club a few years ago to get volleyball where it needs to be in the area. Jeffers worked hard to put the club together and invited girls from ALL schools to particpate. He also worked hard with his high school team and they became good, quick! If you watch high school teams in the area now, the best players on every team play ALETA volleyball. And the ones who get to know Jeffers, decide they are serious and want to play for him. I would be willing to say he works harder at coaching the game than any of the other coaches in the area.
I wish the Alexander Spartans the best of luck and hope they go further this year than last....there is only one step further you can go!!

Good Luck to all of our local athletes!!

Do-Your-Job
Riding the Bench

Post by Do-Your-Job »

Alexander if fun to watch. Even in that first set when Athens was ahead of them, you just knew the Spartans were going to dial it up a notch, and they did.

Hardest working girls imaginable. There are no weak links in that lineup. All the girls are solid and all have put a lot of time in.

People should enjoy having a team this good in the area. In my opinion, this program is on the greatest 5-6 year run Athens County has ever seen. If you haven't seen them play, do yourself a favor and watch them operate before the season is over.

lovevball8
Freshman Team

Post by lovevball8 »

Bradd has done a great job with club ball and high school; let's not forget his connection to OU and Coach Carlston. He was smart he utilized his resources and learned the game from some of the best. My hats off to him. Building a program isn't easy.

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

People can gripe all they want about Brad and Aleta but it has helped so many girls from so many schools. It's not just for Alexander. I'm sure if this program was in any other county girls would be tranferring in there just to play on a top notch team. As they said in Field of Dreams, "If you build it, they will come".

interception
Waterboy

Post by interception »

I agree. Many times what you put in to a sport you'll get out of it. Kids (and parents) that whine to the coach about not getting enough playing time, or getting pushed aside need to really look at the whole picture. Did they play club ball (Aleta, matchpoint, etc.) Were they at all/most summer open gyms. What did they do throughout the entire summer in the way of volleyball to get better? Don't come down on the coaches or other players about your bad luck if you haven't put in the effort.

Swampfox
Freshman Team

Post by Swampfox »

I help coach another sport and I said it many times" You gain on your opponents during the off season." There are players that enjoy playing several sports and there are girls that concentrate one. More power to both side views.

You only have a few years in high school, if you play, work hard don't let a minute pass without enjoying it. After high school, to many people said, I wished I would have played or wished I would have worked harder.

So many kids with talent pi## their careers away by not working hard. They cheat themselves and their teammates.

I was one of those who didnt play because of coaches and I regret to this day.

Return to “Volleyball”