SE D2 Tourney Seeding

svbt1112
Varsity

Re: SE D2 Tourney Seeding

Post by svbt1112 »

Logan is 4-13 with wins over Fed Hock, Portsmouth, Vinton County and Jackson (split)

Greenfield is 8-9.

Gallia's top win is probably Jackson to be honest.

Just seems very fishy to me. And, as you know I am not from Waverly-----just think they got hosed twice today.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

If you are going to co-mingle the north and the south after the top 13 teams have played just one game, why not just have one 19 team draw? I don't think it saves much travel distance, and its just for one game anyway and it really would help fairness. I don't think there would be a much longer jaunt than Marietta to Waverly in any first round match if they were co-mingled.
Last edited by mhs95_06 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

About 120 miles via rt 32....little less distance on rt 50....but a monster trip

sports_nut
Riding the Bench

Post by sports_nut »

Well we're going to get to see now wont we? Athens has been talking about how good they are all year and now they get to come to the coliseum to actually see which team might get to go to the Regionals, because whoever wins that game should have a cakewalk.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

How are Westfall and Waverly cakewalks?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Warren won @ Jackson in 3

25-12, 14 and 18

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

This sectional is top loaded as the top 4 seeds are all excellent teams. Going to be tough for any upsets to happen, but Marietta getting stuck at #7 may be the best hope....but the 120 mile trip certainly favors the excellent Waverly team.

I thought Warren was one of the best teams at keeping the ball off the floor....Eastern Pike was better and SW, Waverly and Athens are all about as good as one another, from what I have watched.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Actually, Ironman92, Warren won at Jackson 25-14, 25-14 and 25-17.

Still three sets, though.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I know....I put it on here knowing you'd correct it.

You correct me again and I'll post the all-league and all-district players before being permitted! J/K

I appreciate the accuracy in the newspaper. Good thing it wasn't your paper that credit Kari Jenkins with 2 digs earlier in the season, be that Kari hasn't played volleyball in 2 years.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

Not sure of the format for seeding in volleyball. I am familiar with basketball seeding in the southeast. If it is done the same way as basketball then there will always be politics and you can't believe how much it plays into ways coaches vote for seeds.
The rest of the state in basketball gets to place your name on a bracket line. They are not pre-determined. I think this is how volleyball and basketball should be done. But our good friends in the SEO District Board continues to let the games be played in the seed meetings. It is one way they can look after each other. Coaches can bargin for votes and leagues can determine seedings reguardless of actually how good or bad a team is. With the bracket it takes this option out. I doubt it ever happens because of the good ol boy network in place.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Seeding procedures were changed and now schools votes are locked in once they are cast, and not taken off the board until that team is placed. No more wanting a team in the 3rd slot and if they don't get it, not placing them 4th or 5th and then voting for that team again the in 6th slot to get them where you want them. Once you vote for a team your vote is locked in for that team.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Would still rather put team on a bracket line instead of this. Even with the new way they can dictate where you go. If you let them place their name on a line you might not keep them away from you. To easy for a group to get together (and they do) and avoid certain teams.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

The SEDOAB uses the NCAA bracket system.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Pol Pot wrote:The SEDOAB uses the NCAA bracket system.
Exactly, and that is what the problem is. Each line has a seed. Instead pick the 1 seed and let them put their name on any line they want and so forth. That will eliminate some of the good ole boy network that goes on. Each year the same southern teams get together and affect the outcome of the seeding rather than be honest and seed the teams correctly. All to try and gain an advantage. If you let teams decide what line they want to be on then it approaches a much fairer bracket. Did I mention that the rest of the state does it this way. Only the SEODBD does it their way, put in place by some old powerful coaches so they could rule the district. Time for a change.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

That will increase the games as people will work to manipulate where they go. The SE District has done that voting in the past.

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

I agree with fighting falcon. If they seeded everyone and then let coaches pick where they wanted to go on the bracket (like the central district does) then it wouldn't be as easy to orchestrate.

The way it is now you can dictate where everyone goes.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Unioto over Jackson in 3

25-19 25-19 25-5

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

#3 Overly for Unioto....only a freshman, WOW! One of the most fun to watch players I watched all year.

AxGrinder
Freshman Team

Post by AxGrinder »

Athens over Gallia in 3.

Can't believe Athens was the 4th seed. They dominated Gallia.

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

Waverly took Marietta in 3 as well.

The top 4 in this sectional all very tough.

Return to “Volleyball”