Referees at the Tournament Level

lefty
Freshman Team

Referees at the Tournament Level

Post by lefty »

I have noticed that most all officials call a closer match when it comes to the tournament. Is this expected of them or are they just letting the teams play "loose" during the regular season? I witnessed this at the DIII match in Logan Wednesday evening. It seems to the extreme in the first match with Tusky/Bloom Carroll.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Re: Referees at the Tournament Level

Post by fighting_falcon »

In the matches I saw this year the ball handling errors looked like JR High. Clean it up. Either the officials are not qualified to call it meaning they don't know the difference or they won't call it. Either way it was bad.

I am glad to hear they are cracking down now. Maybe the coaches will complain about why now that they will start to crack down next season.

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

The majority of officials do not change their style of officiating when it comes to tournament nor are they expected to. What you are seeing at the Regional level are officials selected using the OHSAA system. Which usually means better quality of officiating. Ball handling is going to be call the way it should be called the entire season.

crashnburn
Waterboy

Post by crashnburn »

When you get to the State level you can expect a really tight game to be called. At that level, the refs they have won't let sloppy ballhandling slide.

Return to “Volleyball”