Division 3 All-District Finally Released!

svbt1112
Varsity

Division 3 All-District Finally Released!

Post by svbt1112 »

Congratulations to all who made these teams!

Also---Congrats to Corey Claxon Division 3 Coach of the Year and
Connor Scott Division 3 Player of the Year!

http://www.wkkj.com/cc-common/news/sect ... eed=107551

rxburgfan
All State

Re: Division 3 All-District Finally Released!

Post by rxburgfan »

congrats to all listed. how did the district game go? is it still held at rio grande? with ssu new turf the game could move around a little. tip of the hat to all senior members of the district team. best of luck for the future.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

The East Team won the match over the West Squad 3 - 2. East went up 3 - 0 with goals from (and these are very unofficial as it was hard to tell with players wearing the same numbers and no announcments from the PA )
East Squad
#10 Wes Riley from Marietta
# 9 Matt Morrison from Marietta (although #3 Dillian Lewis tapped the ball in as in rolled across the goal, it appeared that it had already crossed the line)
#3 Dillian Lewis from Wheelersburg.

West Squad
#32 Jared Rutter from Logan Elm
#24 Jon Valentine from Portsmouth Clay

Both sides had many opportunities but there were some great saves made by the keepers. Please make any corrections if I have these wrong. I would have liked to have seen the SOC teams stay together, but congrats to Dillian Lewis and Jon Valentine for representing Southern Ohio and putting a ball in the back of the net.

dimedrop4
All State

Post by dimedrop4 »

It's DILLAN LEWIS not DILLIAN. :lol:

milkman
Waterboy

Post by milkman »

murmur wrote:Congratulations to Connor Scott of South Webster for being selected District POY! It is great to see that the atheltes are rewarded for their team play and loyalty and not soley on their stats.
Congratulations to Corey Claxon of South Webster for being selected District Coach of the year! Again, it is great to see that the coaches are rewarded for teaching more than just soccer but sportsmanship too!
Congratulations to Zach Wright, Brice Patterson, Brandon Malone, Josh Wright, Adam Rice and Ashton Miller! I believe that this group of boys could have all been chosen first team if each team was not given a first team spot.
Congratulations to the entire SW soccer team for being undefeated in regular season play! What a great accomplishment!

So your saying Scotts stats werent good enough for POY? :122246

milkman
Waterboy

Post by milkman »

Does anyone know if and where stats are available for the area teams?

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

milkman try not to get the sw fans anymore stirred up. again it looks like the entire 11 should have made the district team. maybe murmur can petition the ohsaa and get the rules changed. they had a great year and were a good team, but there were other players left off the district teams you could argue in favor of. thats just how it rolls.

milkman
Waterboy

Post by milkman »

I heard their keeper didnt even get all conference? i figured with winning the league all the starters would be all conference?

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

There are set rules that apply to the SOC and District selection numbers. Winning teams get a set amount of picks, second place gets less then the rest get the same amount. I think SOC winners got 8 players on 1st team. It's different for districts, but still a set amount. Just because SW had a good team and won doesn't mean that all 11 starters were better than any other players on other teams. If you put all of the winning teams players on the squads you have to leave off others.
The POY usually come from the winning team, but Dillan Lewis was an exception due to this outstanding performance this year. I don't know what Scott's stats were, but Valentine for Clay could have been considered for POY with 25 goals and 20+- assists. He scored 3 goals with 2 assists in the SOC all star game and scored 1 goal with 2 being stopped with great goal play in the District (only playing half the game). So before you argue that the winning team gets all the all star spots, remember there are some great players on mediocore teams.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

dimedrop4 wrote:It's DILLAN LEWIS not DILLIAN. :lol:
And I was happy to not have put DYLAN!

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

Scott had over 20 goals and over 20 assists this year---his stats were more than fine. He is a midfielder on a team that went 16-0 that didn't run the score up on competition and didn't allow anyone to score more than 3 goals in a game. Also, the non-league schedule was vs Zane Trace, Alexander and Athens----He was first team all-state last year as a junior so the coaches must believe he is doing something right. He has some college coaches very interested in him and is leaning towards Cedarville. He distributes the ball and plays unselfishly. If you watched the district game then you know that---he passed the ball to spots and set up some great opportunities for teammates.

I don't believe that any team has 11 all-stars. I just wish there was a better way to pick an all-district team. Presently, if you are the best player on your team, then you are all-district.

I am from South Webster----and understand what murmur is saying. We were the best division 3 team in the district---the margin of our victories against the other division 3 teams we played were huge----Minford and Valley by 7 in the tourney---Burg by 6---Clay by 8 and 9......Alexander by 7........This was the year where we deserved to have some higher representation. You can say what you like about the others and I won't say anything negative about any of the kids listed----they don't deserve that! But, to say that other teams had as good as players left off---the FACTS don't represent that. It would be different if the games weren't so lopsided.

Also, I apologize----the top line should be 20 goals and over 20 assists........
Last edited by svbt1112 on Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

milkman
Waterboy

Post by milkman »

svbt1112 wrote:Scott had over 20 goals and over 20 assists this year .

rockyraccoon wrote:
The POY usually come from the winning team, but Dillan Lewis was an exception due to this outstanding performance this year. I don't know what Scott's stats were, but Valentine for Clay could have been considered for POY with 25 goals and 20+- assists. He scored 3 goals with 2 assists in the SOC all star game and scored 1 goal with 2 being stopped with great goal play in the District (only playing half the game). So before you argue that the winning team gets all the all star spots, remember there are some great players on mediocore teams.

Goals this season as posted on http://www.ossca.org for southeast district D3
1 Lewis, Dillan Wheelersburg Pirates 51
2 Hoffman, Dakota Belpre Golden Eagles 31
3 Crislip, Tyler Belpre Golden Eagles 27
4 Blair, Payton Ironton St. Joseph Central Flyers 22
Riley, Tanner Ironton St. Joseph Central Flyers 22
6 Jarvis, Braxton Wheelersburg Pirates 21

Assists this season as posted on http://www.ossca.org for southeast district D3
1 Jarvis, Braxton Wheelersburg Pirates 28
2 Hughes, Tyler Wheelersburg Pirates 14
3 Lewis, Dillan Wheelersburg Pirates 11
4 Thurmer, Billy Wheelersburg Pirates 10
5 Harper, Caleb North Adams Green Devils 9

So with that being said #6 in goals and #1 in assists has as good of stats! I agree that South Wesbter had the best team........ But best player in the District? Its arguable that he wasnt the best player on his team with Patterson having 61 points and Miller having 55. IMO Patterson was their best player! Anyways congratulations on POY!

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Valentine from Clay was #1 in goals and #1 in assists the past two years, but doing that on a mediocore team will get you little attention, even though it is a lot harder to do as opposed to being surrounded by a strong team like the Burg or SW. That is why he did so well in the SOC and District All star game. I wonder why he isn't on the list above? Who puts those stats out?

vballsoccer178
JV Team

Post by vballsoccer178 »

Here's the Offensive stats on South Webster. I think everyone needs to remember that stats are only part of what a player brings to a team. South Webster had a great team. Not just a few great players, but a team full of great players. This team never scored more than 9 in a game and usually no more than a hat trick in a game (the exception was we let Patterson score more in the Burg game).

South Webster had a great midfield & defense too - 8 goals against - that's pretty incredible!

For a full link to stats visit http://www.bv.k12.oh.us/soccer.aspx
Cumulative Player Statistics
Player..........................GP.........G.........A.........Pts
#5 Scott, Connor............19.........20.........23.........63
#10 Patterson, Brice........19.........26.........9.........61
#3 Miller, Ashton.............19.........25.........5.........55
#9 Rice, Adam...............19.........11........13.........35
#21 Malone, Brandon........19.........10.........5.........25
#20 Wright, Josh.............19.........2.........13.........17
#24 Goddard, Seth..........19.........5.........3.........13
#25 Martin, Sweer............9.........5.........0.........10
#2 Fuller, Denver.............13.........2.........2.........6
#22 Kinker, Kaleb.............19.........2.........1.........5
#7 Charles, Chad.............19.........0.........4.........4
#11 Rowe, Derek.............18.........1.........1.........3
#8 Wright, Zach..............19.........1.........0.........2
#13 Lore, Shay................14.........1.........0.........2
#23 Charles, Nick.............12.........1.........0.........2
#4 Fuller, Kyle..................12.........0.........1.........1
#17 Loop, Austin..............19.........0.........0.........0
#30 Sutton, David............16.........0.........0.........0
#14 Richardson, Mitchell.....13.........0.........0.........0
#16 Stevens, Bryan...........12.........0.........0.........0
Team totals.....................19........112......80.........304
Opponents.......................19.........8.........4.........20

LHS soccer fan
Waterboy

Post by LHS soccer fan »

The East Team won the match over the West Squad 3 - 2. East went up 3 - 0 with goals from (and these are very unofficial as it was hard to tell with players wearing the same numbers and no announcments from the PA )
East Squad
#10 Wes Riley from Marietta
# 9 Matt Morrison from Marietta (although #3 Dillian Lewis tapped the ball in as in rolled across the goal, it appeared that it had already crossed the line)
#3 Dillian Lewis from Wheelersburg.

West Squad
#32 Jared Rutter from Logan Elm
#24 Jon Valentine from Portsmouth Clay
RockyRaccoon.....Jared Rutter is from Logan High School, not Logan Elm...just wanted to make that correction. Also on the field for Logan was Patrick Bachmann and keeper Derek Montgomery, who was Southeast District Div. 1 POY.

cave canem
Freshman Team

Post by cave canem »

Milkman--- You are right that Jarvis is a fine player. I've always enjoyed watching him play. He is talented. Nobody can take that away from him. Also, according to OSSCA, Jarvis is currently # 2 in the state in D3 with assists.
The OSSCA website is a good source, however, it is incomplete. It appears that the Southeast district stats are only reporting 5 or 6 schools. That is because not all school have recorded their data. So the rankings that you have above are not correct for the district. It's only correct for the 5 or 6 teams that have reported their stats.

Rocky--- Each coach has an account for the State Coaches Association website (OSSCA). Each coach is encouraged to enter game results. The coach also has the opportunity to enter stats (goals, assists, and saves). That is where milkman is getting his info from.
Not all coaches enter their info for whatever reason. So as stated above the numbers that milkman has listed are probably accurate but the rankings are not correct. Besides #1 in goals and #1 in assists the rest of the rankings would be shaken up a good bit once you add Valentine's stats, Minford, South Webster, Alexander, etc..

Congratulation to Connor Scott for being selected as the Southeast District Player of the Year! He is a great player. I enjoyed watching him play when I had the opportunity.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Clay has done a really poor job of record keeping for soccer. No one really knows what the records are from the past years. The school website shows a boy recieving most goals in a season at 27 and most career at 53, but after Valentine got to 25 season (29 counting all star games) and 55 career (59 counting all stars) this year the boy who had 53 now says it was 58 and no one at the school can even verify that and it was only 4 years ago.

LHS, sorry about the Logan Elm, just popped in my head I guess as I have a friend who's kids attend that school. Logan had some nice players at the districts. I have some good team shots that they let us take before the game if anyone wants a copy, give me your email.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

There are plenty of elements that go into being a great player rather than building your stats. You also have to take in consideration the type and level of team the kid plays for.

Having watched both Dillan and Connor for a few years now it is obvious that they are both very great players but also very different players. Connor won't ever put up the numbers that Dillan does for a number of reasons. He plays on a better team that has plenty of role players around him. South Webster plays a tougher schedule and never scores more than 6-7 per game on average. Connor was the best player on the best team. He was the engine that made Webster what they were this year.

Anyone who has watched them both play numerous times can't argue with the fact that Connor was named POY. If Wheelersburg had won the SOC and South Webster had lost a game or two things may have been different.

Either way, it's an honor to even be in this conversation and they both deserve everything they have earned. Hopefully they can both go onto the next level and represent southern Ohio.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Stats are overrated in soccer.

POY should go to the player who is the best overall player, not just who scores the most goals. I'm sure countless times this season, Scott set someone up for an easy score and it was either saved or missed completely. There are no stats for such circumstances. Assists are reliant on your teammates to come through for you.

Mr. Scott is lucky that the coaches voted him in, purely because of their past of not voting for the best player, on the best team. He 100% deserved the honor and will have great success wherever he decides to take his game to next season. No offense to Lewis or Valentine, but how can you honestly suggest someone for POY when they can't get their team within 6 goals of the best team in the District?

THE_MOOSE_IS_LOOSE
Riding the Bench

Post by THE_MOOSE_IS_LOOSE »

i agree with danicalifornia... people, do you honestly understand how bad a loss 6 goals is??? i mean seriously... thats a straight up spankin'... and if you're deserving of POY i agree that you should be able to do something about that! Also, if you know anything about soccer in this area and have watched it over the years you would know that goals dont mean anything... when you score X amount of goals vs weak teams that doesnt mean that you're worthy of awards... score about 3-4 against webster and then you will get the votes! lewis and valentine are good players but are weaker teams where they are about the only ones capable of scoring so they have no choice but to score goals for their team to win...

Return to “Soccer”