Waverly High School Soccer

soccerstory
Waterboy

Re: Waverly High School Soccer

Post by soccerstory »

I hope everyone who is interested apply for the job. Last spring only one person applied so the board had no choices. The program could benefit from someone new with coaching experience at a higher level.

Tigereyez
Riding the Bench

Post by Tigereyez »

vballsoccer178 wrote:I asked Bill and he said he was interested, but if one of the younger guys was interested in the position he would rather see them have their chance at coaching.

Joey Hobbs may be interested in the assistant coach position again. A lot of people feel that someone outside our area needs to apply. Maybe Bill should apply for the position of head coach. It is just a matter of time before it will be posted.

roundingthird
JV Team

Post by roundingthird »

Any news on a new coach?

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

Word is that the position will not be posted until after the first of the year

GoIrish34
Waterboy

Post by GoIrish34 »

I hope many people will apply for this position and the board decides to go with someone outside of the system, someone that DOES NOT know the kids so well in the area. I've seen it happen that a coach is "influenced" by parents because of the "buddy" system in this town. It needs to stop. If Waverly wants to be known as a contender they need to step up and prove it by getting good coaches and have a coach that will tell parents to let them coach and not have 5 to 10 different coaches in the stands. And parents if a coach yells at your kid do not think they coach is picking on them, THEY ARE COACHING!!!!

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

I find it disappointing that you think someone can't be a good coach if they KNOW the kids or they aren't from outside of the area....
What a ridiculous post...

soccerstory
Waterboy

Post by soccerstory »

I agree GoIrish34! Someone from the outside with a higher level of coaching experience is just what the Waverly program needs.

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

I agree that Waverly should hire someone with experience, but what is with the idea that they have to be from "outside the area"??
For those of you that don't know, Chris Murphy is from "outside the area" and look how he was treated!
I guess you people feel that there are not any qualified candidates who have a passion for the sport of soccer and would put their heart and soul into the job in Waverly? I think you are WRONG!

GoIrish34
Waterboy

Post by GoIrish34 »

Coach Murphy was "treated" that way because you had parents that don't like their precious kids getting yelled out. PCOhio why so defensive, do you want the job or something. Trust me I have seen it a lot over the years at Waverly. IT IS better to go outside of the organization and someone to stand up to the parents and board to protect them from some of those parents. Just stating what I have seen 1st hand. Sorry PCOhio if you don't like it, but it is the truth.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Waverly City Schools are in financial trouble. The administration is not going to go out and search for a coach. Soccer is a secondary sport. They will not create a position for a soccer coach unlike the old days when they were financially solvent and if there was a football or basketball coach they wanted. Wake up soccer fans you don't have the lead in Waverly.
Last edited by soccerfix on Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

I heard today that Landon Boyers Dad offerred to coach for free and keep Joey as his assistant. Then when Joey graduates it is his job to have. Anyone else heard this.

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

I did hear that...these people need to realize this is not some rec league team that just anyone should be allowed to coach...

soccerstory
Waterboy

Post by soccerstory »

It is not some rec league at the Y or Triple Crown or even Jr High. That is why they need a coach from the outside with experience and education at a higher level if Waverly wants to grow their program.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Soccerstory i think you are wrong about that person. He is extremly knowledgable about soccer, has a good relationship with the kids, and knows the program. I don't know if he will be given an opportunity, but I do believe he can be very succesful at the High School level.

B1OHIO
Riding the Bench

Post by B1OHIO »

This thread is fixin to get very interesting!!!!!! We have one person on here obviously interested in the job, with apparently close ties to the program. He apparently has at least a couple of people mad at him for some reason. I for one can't wait to see how this all unfolds. Please give us outsiders a few details after all it's all fun and games untill someone gets hired. Or is that supposed to be hurt!!

Staying tunned

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Anything new?

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

I'm starting to believe soccer is a secondary sport in Waverly. Can you imagine the basketball or football program not having this much interest in it? Maybe someone should tell the administration that Ziggy from the Crew went west there is no sense waiting on him.

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

Not that it is right, but in southern ohio isn't soccer a secondary sport at every school.

Football and Basketball will always be king.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I'd say you're correct, hbk123.

roundingthird
JV Team

Post by roundingthird »

Did Waverly hire a new coach?

Return to “Soccer”