The best soccer players in your schools history:

three
Waterboy

Re: The best soccer players in your schools history:

Post by three »

SHAQ25 have you been to a scioto county soccer game lately, there is still a whole lot of boot ball going on. Where did you play in college at? I know Shawnee is not a top notch program, but when Cyrus and Goodson graduated, Shawnee did not have program both of these men attended The University of Rio Grande. Goodson returned to Shawnee after 2 years at Rio and some military time. When soccer began in scioto county they did not have the teams we have now, so teams had to play Chillicothe, Ashland, Huntington St. Joe, Unioto, Circlleville, and Jackson. There was only one league so you had to fill your schedule with teams outside of scioto county. Teams that were much stronger. I think players have a better chance of padding stats today with there being so many more local teams, and the local competition not being that good. Sure soccer has improved since it was started in the fall of 1983, but it should be a lot better than it is since it has been around for 25 years.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

South Webster Jeeps

Casey, Corey, Wes, Less, Kirby Claxon
Justin and Jordan Lower
Nick Aldridge
Jason Richardson
Brenton Cole
Brady Rose
Seth Kuhner
Brian Davis
Ron Wagner
Derrick Purrington
92-93 team

Coach93
Freshman Team

Post by Coach93 »

I disagree with shaq25 about teams not haveing any talent befor 95 i really have to disagree . the New Boston Tiger Teams from 85 to 90 could play with anyone in today's era they had both gut's and ablity to play the game and not to mention alot of raw talent . I whould take any of those Tiger teams of the late 80's and early 90;s and play any of these teams of today.All of the Burg teams of that era were very good to and you can't forget Minfords teams and the 92-93 South Webster team or the 93-94 Northwest Mohawks
I think anyone of these teams would play with teams of today and even beat them . It would be nice if we could have some of them play each other. What DREAM MATCH 1988 New Boston Tiger team playing the 92-93 South Webster team or 91-92 Burg team playing the 2005-06 WAverly team. Or the 2000
Minford team playing 93-94 Northwest Mohawks . would be just some of the great matches :12224 :12224

BIG POPPA
Freshman Team

Post by BIG POPPA »

jeepmadness wrote:South Webster Jeeps

Justin and Jordan Lower
Nick Aldridge
Jason Richardson
Brenton Cole
Brady Rose
Seth Kuhner
Brian Davis
Ron Wagner
Derrick Purrington
92-93 team

Do you mean Justin Richardson?
Also Brandon McGahan comes to mind as well

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Coach93 wrote:I disagree with shaq25 about teams not haveing any talent befor 95 i really have to disagree . the New Boston Tiger Teams from 85 to 90 could play with anyone in today's era they had both gut's and ablity to play the game and not to mention alot of raw talent . I whould take any of those Tiger teams of the late 80's and early 90;s and play any of these teams of today.All of the Burg teams of that era were very good to and you can't forget Minfords teams and the 92-93 South Webster team or the 93-94 Northwest Mohawks
I think anyone of these teams would play with teams of today and even beat them . It would be nice if we could have some of them play each other. What DREAM MATCH 1988 New Boston Tiger team playing the 92-93 South Webster team or 91-92 Burg team playing the 2005-06 WAverly team. Or the 2000
Minford team playing 93-94 Northwest Mohawks . would be just some of the great matches :12224 :12224

Great post! Those were the days of great fan support of all the teams listed. Some of the most exciting games ever played at New Boston Stadium have involved Minford, Wheelersburg and the Glenwood Tigers!

ssusoccer
Varsity

Post by ssusoccer »

"Buddy system"
Here is a current list of cities that players are from:
Ironton
Athens
South Vienna
Logan
Upper Arlington
Columbus
Chardon
Springfield
Wheelersburg X3 (that means three players living in Wheelersburg)
Waverly
Groveport
Bethel
South Point
Marietta
Waynesville
Chillicothe
Minford X3
Jamestown X2
East Liverpool
Columbus
New Boston
Western Brown
Maysville
Groveport Madison
Northland
Beavercreek

14 players from SE District
17 players from the rest of the state

ssusoccer
Varsity

Post by ssusoccer »

a_c_m wrote:
Coach93 wrote:I disagree with shaq25 about teams not haveing any talent befor 95 i really have to disagree . the New Boston Tiger Teams from 85 to 90 could play with anyone in today's era they had both gut's and ablity to play the game and not to mention alot of raw talent . I whould take any of those Tiger teams of the late 80's and early 90;s and play any of these teams of today.All of the Burg teams of that era were very good to and you can't forget Minfords teams and the 92-93 South Webster team or the 93-94 Northwest Mohawks

Great post! Those were the days of great fan support of all the teams listed. Some of the most exciting games ever played at New Boston Stadium have involved Minford, Wheelersburg and the Glenwood Tigers!

I agree acm, many great matches!
I remember watching Jenkins and Porter back in 1985.

Happy Feet
Waterboy

Post by Happy Feet »

Alan Paolucci here. On a lark, I searched my name and found this thread. Amazing that folks are still talking about the early days of Scioto County soccer.

There's a brief discussion about the competition in the early days and some really good ball players. I played with Ron Goodson, Joe Cyrus, Jason Sloan and Justin Sloan. Those guys were really something special, even in the days where Minford dominated the league. However, there is some truth in the statement that some of the performances couldn't be repeated ever again. Minford was pretty much the first local high school to field a team. There was an entire group of friends from Minford that had been playing YMCA League together (or against each other) for two years leading up to that first year of high school competition in 1983. In all honesty, the other local teams were not much competition for us...some games, Jason and Ron were scoring at will. We were good, but not great (very good by local standards, but we got our asses handed to us by Madeira in Cincinnati when we went to state). But Ron Goodson and Jason Sloan truly offensive predators on the field back then. They had an uncanny ability to put the ball in the goal...I focused on feeding them the ball and somehow, they would find a way to score. Joe Cyrus was an incredible goalie...really made our defensive posture strong.

Anyway, the days where a single player could rack up 7 or so goals in a championship game are LONG gone (Jason Sloan in action). Jason had talent in spades, but there wasn't a whole lot of talent stacked against him back in 83...there should have been a mercy rule on that game.

One more thing...Coach Bill Hale really focused on conditioning. What we lacked in skill, we mostly made up with effort on our away games (read games outside Scioto County). Like him or hate him, he was heads and shoulders above all the other coaches in the local area at that time. Mark Price was his assistant back then and just learning the game. Coach Price, I heard, went on to be head coach for Minford after Hale left. Before that time, however, he was in the shadow of the master.

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

Tri-Valley(& probably one of, if not the best from SEO)

Kobly Lacrone

46 Goals Scored in 2003
108 For his career
5 Assists in one game(10th overall)
34 Assists in a season Twice
30 Assists in a season Once
109 Assists for his career
One of only Two players to have 40 Goals & 30 Assists in the same season(46/34)

Played at West Virgina , Transferred to Marshall & currently plays for the Cleveland City Stars.

blackbear
Waterboy

Post by blackbear »

BIG POPPA wrote:
jeepmadness wrote:South Webster Jeeps

Justin and Jordan Lower
Nick Aldridge
Jason Richardson
Brenton Cole
Brady Rose
Seth Kuhner
Brian Davis
Ron Wagner
Derrick Purrington
92-93 team

Do you mean Justin Richardson?
Also Brandon McGahan comes to mind as well

Brandon Mcgahan definitely doesnt come to mind as one of the best players at webster

Return to “Soccer”