The Best Golies in your school history

Coach93
Freshman Team

The Best Golies in your school history

Post by Coach93 »

This post is made to see how many of you all can name the top 5 golies in your school history.
Here is New Boston Tigers. Top 5 Golies
1. Jason Risner [SOC PLAYER OF THE YEAR 92-93 Season] [91-92 92-93]
2.Steve Hamilton[87-89]
3.Rodney Fetty [89-91]
4. Rocky Dunkin ?
5.Mike Henson [1986 ]

Anyone that can help me on what years Rocky played golie for New boston i'd be glad to add his years. These 5 guys were some of the best golies in New Boston school history!!!!!!!!!!! :12224 :12224
Last edited by Coach93 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

smoke93
Waterboy

Re: The Best Golies in your school history

Post by smoke93 »

Hey Coach 93 I think Risner had 285 saves and 9 shut outs the year he was player of the year he also led the team in assist because of there style of play he would kick the ball over the strikers and they would score on those plays. If my stats are correct I believe he only gave up 1.1 goals a game and the team had a .500 record that year going 5-5-6 on the season. And man could he kick the ball 75-80 yards with no problem. I remember him kicking one at South Webster that bounced in front of the opposite goal and over.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

I remember that bomb. I bet Guilky thought Risner was going to score on that one. :lol: But how many did we put in the back of the net that game?
Last edited by jeepmadness on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

Best goalies from S. Webster

1.Nick Aldridge
2.Jordan Lower
3.Jason Percel
4.Jeremy King
5.Lee Guilky

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto has had 2 great ones and several decent goal keepers.

Dustin Robbins(Grad in 2001)
-Started Every game for 4 years in goal
-587 Career Saves
-3rd Team All-Ohio(Junior)
-2nd Team All-Ohio(Senior)
-40-17-14 Career Record

Never had a great defense, so he never had a great GAA, but kept Unioto in a lot of games in his time.

Greg Stoltz(Grad in 2003)
-32-5-3 Career Record
-20 Career Shutouts in 40 games(20 in last 30 games)
-35 Goals Allowed

Had a great defense, but was unbelievable after a rough start to career.

Stefan Gabis(2007) had a shutout in the Regional Finals as a Sophomore should also get a mention.

smoke93
Waterboy

Post by smoke93 »

I believe the score was 1-0 South Webster but you guys beat New Boston 8-1 @ New Boston the last game of the season and if I am correct Risner played Mid Field and Forward after the score became 2-0. That South Webster team was one of the best teams ever to come out of this area Hands Down!!!! Just think what would have happened if Risner would have ended up at South Webster like the rumors said that year. :-D :-D :-D

Coach93
Freshman Team

Post by Coach93 »

I remeber the game @South Webster Risner stoped several shots on goal I mean they were some very hard shots they came from every direction . I should know cause i;m the one that finaly cleared out to help keep it 0-0 at the time and I agree with Smoke93 that South Webster team was one of the better teams to come out of this area with out a doubt!!!!!!!!! :12224 :12224 :12224
Last edited by Coach93 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tigersports
Waterboy

Post by Tigersports »

The best GK by far in Waverly's short history and the best HS goalkeeper i have seen is 2000 graduate and current Waverly assistant coach

Joe (Joey) Hobbs

dont have stats but for anyone that remember watching Joey play he was 5'8 or so but played with the biggest heart and so good in and out of traffic.

The Tiger Eyez are Upon You!!!!!!

Keegan
Freshman Team

Post by Keegan »

Jeepmadness, how about some love for Aaron "Chauncey" Clarkson or Brett Stiverson. I remember both of them being on some quality Jeep soccer teams and helping them win the games that would get them some championships.

InTheStands
Waterboy

Post by InTheStands »

What about Burg? Any stats rabbit?

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

Keegan, Chauncy played with alot of enthusiasim and energy, but I wouldn't say he was in the top 5. As for old Stone hands Stiverson, he couldn't catch a cold. Just kidding. He wasn't quick, he didn't have good hands, and he played real stiff, not very flexible.

Keegan
Freshman Team

Post by Keegan »

I believe that Stiverson had quite a bit of shut-out his junior or senior year and Chauncey held his own and led his team to a few Conference championships, but I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. My top 5 would probably be:
1) Lower
2) Aldridge, even though his stay at keeper was only for a couple of years.
3) Guilky
4) Clarkson
5) Stiverson

drrabbit
All State

Re: The Best Goalies in your school history

Post by drrabbit »

Numbers don't tell everything but for what they are worth:

Jeremy Williams
Shut outs in a season: 14 ,2000
Shut outs in a career: 36, 98-00.
Goals allowed per game in a season: 7 goal in 20 games for 0.35 goal per game average in 1999.
Goals allowed per game in a career: 29 goals in 58 games for 0.50 goal per game average in 97-00.
Penalty kicks saves in a season: 3/4 in 1998 (75%)

Wes Baker:
Most saves in a game: 25 on 10-12-94.
Career goals allowed per game: 1.21 (57 goals in 47 games.)

Ron Cameron:
Most saves in a season: 242 in 20 games in 1988.
Most saves in a career: 624 in 49 games 87-89.

Josh Pascal:
Allowed 1.22 goals per game: 39 goals in 32 games.
Senior year was 16 goals in 15 games for 1.066 goals per game.

Nathan Schwamberger:
1997, 10 shut outs, 13 goals in 20 games for a .65 goals per game average.

Ian Miller:
Came out for soccer for the first time as a senior:
16 goals in 18 games for a .89 goal per game average.

Putting the numbers aside:

Probably the best keeper was Shayne Kitts. He played from 1988 to 1991 and was starting keeper for 2.5 years. He had a dozen+ shutouts. His career goal per game average was 51 goals in 39 games for a 1.30 average. He is second on the all-time list for most saves in a career with 365 or a 9.6 saves per game average. He was tall and athletic and played keeper for four years in college.

Wes Baker was a pretty good keeper in the mold of Kitts. He led his team to a 21-1 season his senior year.
Jeremy Williams' talent lay as much or more in how he directed his defense as in his physical ability. With his directions, he was able to stop shots before they were taken and thus had one of the lowest saves per game average. He was good at PKs saves.
Ian Miller was a nice surprise his one year playing. He would have been a top notch keeper if he had done it all four years.
Matt Coburn was in the same vein but I don't have his numbers to hand. A football convert, he started soccer as a junior and worked his way into a starting keeper position by the end that first season. He had good hands and an outstanding ability to dive. Height was about his only drawback.

constantine
Waterboy

Post by constantine »

Minford no particular order:

Adam Shoemaker
J.D. McKenzie
Joey Cyrus
Jason Ruby

InTheStands
Waterboy

Post by InTheStands »

Thanks rabbit, always a store house of knowledge and stats.

Kole_Wheeler
Waterboy

Post by Kole_Wheeler »

for the few years eastern had soccer back in the 80's Harry Wheeler was the best goalie in the soc.I probly cant find his stats but he was soc goalie of the year was voted to the national team and given a full scholarship to Army

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

They didn't give SOC goalie of the year then or now.

He was first team all SOC his senior year (1986).

I don't have Wheeler playing goalie though. He was Eastern's leading scorer his senior year with three goals so I have always assumed that he was a forward or at least a midfielder.

Blaise Reader was reported to be their regular goalie in 1986 though Dean Rapp filled in for him when he was injured for the Zane Trace game. Because of that, Rapp was goalie for their only win and their only shutout in those first three years. They beat Zane Trace 2-0 in 1986. Harry scored one of the two goals in that game. He also scored against Valley and Rosehill Christian.

In his junior year, Eastern only scored twice and while Darrell Mullins scored the first goal for the program, I don't have reported who scored the second goal. When saves were reported in the newspaper reports, it was Eric Brown in goal.

Harry's senior year, Eastern gave up more than 90 goals. So even if he was the Eagle keeper that year in some of the other games, I doubt that he was considered the best goalie in the league that year.

Kole_Wheeler
Waterboy

Post by Kole_Wheeler »

well now that ive talked to him he says he only played goalie the last 6 games his sr. year after the main goalie got hurt and in that time was voted soc player of the year and from his game that he says he will never forget he had 49 saves against minford even though they scored like 16 or 18

so sorry bout the soc "goalie" of the year ment "player "
and the main reason he got all these awards is because so many shots were takin and every one is goin to give up goals with that many shots coming at them. but all the awards are true. (still have them)

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

The Pike-Watchman article did not list Harry Wheeler as player of the year which I would have thought that they would have. The Daily Times also did not list the Player of the year that year for either volleyball or soccer. Maybe they did not have one.

There are no player of the year listed in any article until 1990. There was not POY for volleyball or golf or cross country published during those years either.

There WAS a coach of the year starting in 1985 with Mark Price winning the first one as that was the first year there was an SOC championship. Until about 1994 that was not voted on. It automatically went to the coach of the team that won the SOC.

District POY seems to have started in 1988. Richie Lewis of New Boston won the first one I have been able to find.

Personally, I always figured it would have been Ron Goodson of Minford getting POY if anyone. It was his senior year and he had accumulated 117 goals. That is still second in the SOC although Luke Purpero of Waverly has since surpassed it.

Back then, the teams did not play a lot of defense. It tended to be a 5 forwards, 3 mid-fielders and 2 fullbacks set up. Sounds odd today.

The game you refer to was a 14-0 win by Minford. The Falcons took 76 shots that game to 28 for Eastern. Obviously neither team played a lot of defense. I don't have the saves. Ron Goodson had four goals in that game.

I will make some enquires to see if there was such a thing as POY in 1986. I have sent messages to two coaches from that year as well as Ron Goodson.

I imagine that the national awards have been around longer. There have been quite a few players get on the national team from the SOC. It is a matter of your coach filling out the right paperwork. I would like to have it confirmed to add it to the Eastern records. I need to get with your father on this topic if possible.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Oh, and ask him if he knows the score of the Unioto game his senior year. I am missing that still. It was suppose to be the third game of the season at Unioto on September 8th.

Unioto was starting their program that year as I recall. It was just a 'club sport' at that time. It took a couple of years to get it to be an official school sponsored sport.

Return to “Soccer”