South Webster vs. Wheelersburg (Rematch)

Bigbadwolf
Freshman Team

South Webster vs. Wheelersburg (Rematch)

Post by Bigbadwolf »

The last game ended with the Pirates on top 1-0 on an extremely controversial goal (see link below).

http://youtu.be/d3PGnXXoudY

Want to get some other opinions on this so please cast your vote. To me it's pretty obvious. :mrgreen:

This game will be on a bigger field with no football uprights for the ball to bounce off of. Thoughts on the match?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: South Webster vs. Wheelersburg (Rematch)

Post by 4thgoal »

I can't say the video is conclusive either way. If the ball hits the football post, typically the keeper and/or defender closest to the goal will look or point up at the post. That did not happen in this case. The official who was in proper position for the call and the SW players who were in the play did not say it hit the football post, so I believe it did not. Regardless, does it really matter at this point? I was there and I don't recall the SW captains, coaches, keeper, or anyone questioning the "extremely controversial call" at that point, so why is it a big deal 3 weeks later?

jazzfingers888
JV Team

Post by jazzfingers888 »

Well 4th and upright goal post... I can't speak for teen wolf but I raised concern about it the night of the game 3 weeks ago. I was on the end line with all of the other fans that saw it plain as day. Watch the video again and watch the McClain kid who heads the ball first. He sees it hit the upright then snaps his fingers like darn. He wouldn't stop like that on a true live ball. Then he celebrates like crazy! He knows. I do find it suspicious that the ref who's side it was on is from burg and his kids go there but again I digress. The match tomorrow will decide it all then I guess. I bet the Posturpedic Pirates and SW sleeps will put on another snoozer. I don't really care anymore.

saveTHEnight
Freshman Team

Post by saveTHEnight »

Wow, first time seeing that video of the controversial goal. I mean, call me crazy but if that didn't hit the uprights then I need a new eye doc. I know we've heard a lot about watergate, spygate, deflategate... Among others... But to me this is wtfgate? I'm surprised the officials were able to get out of that complex that night after that missed call. I think the jeeps will have a lot to prove come tomorrow in this rematch. If there's any other bulletin board material needed I think 4th and long definitely supplied the jeeps with that. I agree, however, that the jeeps need to move on and not dwell on spilled milk... But I will also say that this provides us with a valuable lesson to be learned when taking officials into consideration... They need to understand the ways a ball can bounce off of the crossbar and a red flag should come up when you see the way that ball traveled and made it back into the field of play. In conclusion... You should never drink the bong water before refereeing a game of any kind. Good luck to both teams tomorrow. Let's keep it clean between the lines and extra rowdy outside of them.

"Aye, fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!"
-William Wallace

falcon80
Waterboy

Post by falcon80 »

Webster up 3-0 with little time left.
Can't wait to hear how bad the officials were :lol:

Bigbadwolf
Freshman Team

Post by Bigbadwolf »

Wow, this was the case where one team came out and proved to be better in every way. Congrats to Shiloah Blevins on two great goals with another nice free kick finish by Zimmerman. AND a big well done to the SW defense for shutting out the Pirates, (nice pk block by Coriell too). Go JEEPS!

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

SW came out on fire and we were flat. We had a chance to equalize on a PK but couldn't find the net. Keep your heads high Pirates, the Jeeps have a very good team.

tigerSTRIPEZzz
Riding the Bench

Post by tigerSTRIPEZzz »

After seeing both of these teams play this week South Webster is hands down better. Wheerlersburg is good but strength of schedule makes a big difference in high intensity games. Wish I could've seen this one.

Whsalumni
Waterboy

Post by Whsalumni »

Jolly P(irate) wrote:SW came out on fire and we were flat. We had a chance to equalize on a PK but couldn't find the net. Keep your heads high Pirates, the Jeeps have a very good team.
Looks like Wheelersburg "buckled" under the pressure. :lol:

Redcard
Freshman Team

Post by Redcard »

that was funny Greasy Strider.

Agreed, SW is better team but I realize that is open for discussion. I think definitely more consistent.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Touché Rider

Whsalumni
Waterboy

Post by Whsalumni »

Couldn't resist Pirate, but just like the Falcons I don't think the Pirates "buckled" either. To me, if a team buckles under pressure means they totally give up. I didn't see that in the Falcons the night we played (didn't agree with the strategy), and I know there definitely wasn't any quit in the Pirates. This was the point I was trying to get across to you. Hope you understand where I'm coming from now.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Interesting that the soccer lines go ALL the way back to the line of the end zone. I think most are about 3 yards from there. Which would take the goal posts out of the equation. I Google mapped 10 random schools I knew had turf and soccer and all but 2 had the lines a couple yards in from the back line.

I'm likely over thinking this, but when I watched that video, it was the first thing I noticed.

jazzfingers888
JV Team

Post by jazzfingers888 »

Holy moly FallCone1!!! You clearly have too much time on your hands. :12222 It is interesting though. It's also interesting that 4th and no Goals against SW hasn't commented lately...............

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

jazzhands88 wrote:Holy moly FallCone1!!! You clearly have too much time on your hands. :12222 It is interesting though. It's also interesting that 4th and no Goals against SW hasn't commented lately...............
Lol I do, I do.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Ohsaa recommends that the soccer goals be at least 2 yards in front of the field goal posts. The soccer lines at burg have always been "football friendly". For example the soccer lines are 58 yards wide so that they match the 3 yard out of bounds line instead of 60-65. Which i know they probably couldnt go 65 because of the older infrastructure.

To me it definitely looked to hit the field goal post.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

jazzhands88 wrote:Holy moly FallCone1!!! You clearly have too much time on your hands. :12222 It is interesting though. It's also interesting that 4th and no Goals against SW hasn't commented lately...............
Sorry to disappoint you jazz toes. SW was the better team yesterday. I made no prediction on the outcome. The Pirates did not come to play. It had no affect on the game, but the goals at SW are looking pretty tired. They are leaning back, not square, and lots of paint peeled off. Nice soccer facility (other than needing lights) but those goals need some work.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

At fu our goals aren't the best either...unfortunately we are last on the list when it comes to money for improvements. Even if the soccer programs are the only 2 successful fall programs that charge admission.

jazzfingers888
JV Team

Post by jazzfingers888 »

All in good fun 4th! I couldn't agree more about the goals. They looked bad from the stands and had a serious lean to them. The SWHS athletic dept. needs to get on that ASAP

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Big win for the Jeeps. Hopefully these teams will meet up again down the road.

Glad someone brought up the goals at Webster....just driving by the field, you can see the lean on them from the road. Shouldn't be too big of an issue the rest of the season, but definitely need to fix them by next season.*

Return to “Soccer”