Sectional Tournament Seeding

Smeltzy
Varsity

Re: Sectional Tournament Seeding

Post by Smeltzy »

Thanks coach, and yes my daughter was #11. She`s had major ACL surgery on both knees during her HS playing days. So, I`m always worried when she goes down. She`s fine, just got a deep thigh bruise. Good luck in the tourney.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

The D2 south is even more confusing after Jackson has defeated Athens and Waverly. Jackson has those 2 big wins, but they are 8-6. Athens looked near the top, but now has 6 losses. Minford at 11-2-1 and South Point at 10-2-1 have impressive records, but don't play as tough a schedule as the rest. Warren and Marietta may now have an arguments to be the 1 seed, but after that, how do you rank 2-7??, wow...

vballsoccer178
JV Team

Post by vballsoccer178 »

4th n Goal wrote:The D2 south is even more confusing after Jackson has defeated Athens and Waverly. Jackson has those 2 big wins, but they are 8-6. Athens looked near the top, but now has 6 losses. Minford at 11-2-1 and South Point at 10-2-1 have impressive records, but don't play as tough a schedule as the rest. Warren and Marietta may now have an arguments to be the 1 seed, but after that, how do you rank 2-7??, wow...
I agree. I don't pay too much attention to records as much as some of the big games that get played between teams. I think coaches also get a sense in a game who is the better team. The other unfortunate thing that factors in is the predetermined placement on the bracket. Some teams get seeded lower because it may put them in a different part of the bracket. It gets complicated and usually somebody gets placed where they shouldn't. I don't like the predetermined placement. Not all districts do that

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Waverly has losses to teams they are competiting with (Athens, Jackson, Minford) while only beating Minford in that group of teams. That could put them in a tighter position than they should be. I think they are still the 3 in the South, but their schedule has hurt them before.

South Point will be very low and will have to travel to Warren or Marietta, IMO.

D2 North will be interesting between Fairfield Union (9-5) and Unioto (7-4-3) for the 1. Both have the same results against their similar opponents and Unioto's schedule is much tougher overall, but most of their wins are against D3's, so that somewhat negates the overall schedule. I'm not sure anyone else is over 500 in the North, which should cause more grumbling towards a super sectional.

MarkWilliamson
Freshman Team

Post by MarkWilliamson »

A complete joke. Fairfield Union and Chillicothe and Circleville r seeded ahead of Unioto. Idiot loser coaches. Hopefully a karma prevails.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Amvets_Coach wrote:A complete joke. Fairfield Union and Chillicothe and Circleville r seeded ahead of Unioto. Idiot loser coaches. Hopefully a karma prevails.
Time to schedule down. Drop the Alder's, Hartley's, and Xenia. Get easy wins and that should pay off come time for the draw.
I'm clueless how ZT is above Chillicothe, Fairfield Union, and Circleville since they have an identical record as Unioto. Oh, and Unioto went 2-0-1 against those teams.

EHSoccer
Riding the Bench

Post by EHSoccer »

Not following this D2 discussion... some people don't seem to have all their facts right or maybe I'm just misunderstanding, I'm not all that familiar with D2 in SE. Brackets are here for D2....

http://www.seodab.org/images/stories/bs ... soccer.pdf

D3 brackets are here.......

East district that feeds into Jackson looks like this...
#3 Rosecrans vs #2 Steubenville Catholic
#4 Caldwell vs #5 Monroe Central with the winner playing #1 Hiland
Winners of 2/3 and 4/5/1 play for the right to go to Jackson.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

hhs wrote:Not following this D2 discussion... some people don't seem to have all their facts right or maybe I'm just misunderstanding, I'm not all that familiar with D2 in SE. Brackets are here for D2....

D3 brackets are here.......

East district that feeds into Jackson looks like this...
#3 Rosecrans vs #2 Steubenville Catholic
#4 Caldwell vs #5 Monroe Central with the winner playing #1 Hiland
Winners of 2/3 and 4/5/1 play for the right to go to Jackson.
That previous D2 discussion is about the girls side of D2.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

Previously mentioned in the Volleyball section, what did they do? Draw straws or out of a hat? Several teams with better records are playing with a lower seed in the pairings

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

mglight88 wrote:Previously mentioned in the Volleyball section, what did they do? Draw straws or out of a hat? Several teams with better records are playing with a lower seed in the pairings
I'm super confused by D2 South. Minford beat Jackson at Jackson. Splits with Waverly and falls to 6th. But, I think it's not a bad draw for them at all, besides the travel.
Jackson got pounded by Athens 4-0 early on, but beats them 1-0 this week, with similar records, I don't see that as a reason to jump them. But it doesn't really matter, should be a couple of great rematches in the opening round in those games.

I know Unioto and McClain tied early on, but I look for Unioto and Fairfield Union to advance pretty easily from the North.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Amvets how was the seeding done? Did everyone talk about their team? Did they go alphabetical?

I remember it almost always going alphabetically and usually whatever the first school says,everyone just follows. But that karma thing is real. I remember us seeding ourselves lower to avoid someone and I also remember this one coach,cough cough amvets, seeding his team to play us. I think we won 9-0. Lol I'm just jabbing at you! Seeding meetings are both awkward and very lame. I don't think enough coaches honestly educate themselves on the other teams in their sectional. No doubt that cville,Unioto,and zt played the best schedules. Which brings me back to my original question. How was seeding done. Because I'd everyone spoke,then I'm guessing you,buddy, and that moron from cville all would have def made sure everyone knew about the schedule strength.

I'll be very interested to hear how it was done this year.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

For fu boys,from everything I've read, they aren't even close to being as good as they have been and probably should be on upset alert. I was shocked when I heard they were the number 1 seed. Theyre I believe really young.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

falcon01 wrote:For fu boys,from everything I've read, they aren't even close to being as good as they have been and probably should be on upset alert. I was shocked when I heard they were the number 1 seed. Theyre I believe really young.
The schedule is pretty weak, but they have beat the teams that they should have and Unioto didn't. I thought Unioto SOS would help, but in the end, they will still have home games to get out of the sectional for the 1st time since 06.

The North is incredibly down, with only 2 teams over 500, while the South has 8 over 500. Unioto lost 5-2 to the 5 seed on the South (Waverly). The girls do a super sectional, why can't the boys?

OSH
Riding the Bench

Post by OSH »

Here's the pairings for the Muskingum Valley League in the East District (except for DI Tri-Valley who plays in the Central District)

http://muskingumvalleyleagueforum.yuku. ... Postseason

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

4th n Goal wrote:Here is my full seeding prediction for D3. I think the top 2 seeds in each should easily move on to district play.
WEST
1.Lynchburg Clay 9-1-1
2.Eastern Brown 8-2
3.Fairfield 8-2
4.Valley 6-4
5.Peebles 5-5
6.North Adams 3-7-1
7.West Union 0-9
SOUTH
1.Wheelersburg 7-1-3
2.South Webster 7-4-1
3.West 4-6-1
4.New Boston 5-5
5.St.Joe 2-5-2
6.Clay 2-8-1
7.Chesapeake 0-6
NORTH
1.Zane Trace 10-2
2.Southeastern 6-3
3.Belpre 3-2-1
4.Alexander 1-7
5.Adena 1-9-1
6.Piketon 0-9
Well, I guessed everything correct except Southeastern and Belpre were flipped. It will be fun to get the tournament started next week! Good luck to all teams.

MarkWilliamson
Freshman Team

Post by MarkWilliamson »

falcon01 wrote:Amvets how was the seeding done? Did everyone talk about their team? Did they go alphabetical?

I remember it almost always going alphabetically and usually whatever the first school says,everyone just follows. But that karma thing is real. I remember us seeding ourselves lower to avoid someone and I also remember this one coach,cough cough amvets, seeding his team to play us. I think we won 9-0. Lol I'm just jabbing at you! Seeding meetings are both awkward and very lame. I don't think enough coaches honestly educate themselves on the other teams in their sectional. No doubt that cville,Unioto,and zt played the best schedules. Which brings me back to my original question. How was seeding done. Because I'd everyone spoke,then I'm guessing you,buddy, and that moron from cville all would have def made sure everyone knew about the schedule strength.

I'll be very interested to hear how it was done this year.
Falcon01, unlike previous years the coaches were given an opportunity to speak but nobody did - we have not gone down team by team for the last couple of years. I take total blame for underestimating the lack of knowledge some coaches in the District have. Anyway, it is what it is and time to move forward.

And... I do remember vividly the 9-0 beat down. LOL !!! We had just played you like the week before and lost 4-2 in what was a pretty competitive game. Just goes to show you MY lack of knowledge !!!! :D

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Lol I was just messing with you. What you didn't know was that we had kids not there because of showing animals at the fair. No way you could have known that though.

It is very disappointing that the other coaches don't put more effort into knowing the other teams in the district. Used to always see the coaches pool each week on the website but I can't find one now. It'd be nice if there was a place coaches could post their schedule and results. Or better yet,be required too.

Ballboy09
Riding the Bench

Post by Ballboy09 »

Www.ossca.org

Nice site where schedules, stats and such are logged. Even has an equation that compares a sort of strength of schedule.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

How does minford lose and tie to wheelersburg and south point beat wheelersburg, but minford was seeded over south point?

Return to “Soccer”